What bourbon did you purchase today (Summer 2021)

MTNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Toured/tasted at several distilleries in TN and KY last week and came home with this.

780E55B8-21C7-401F-9FC5-77200AA7682B.thumb.jpeg.aee79b4c7699c66804dbdaa56fee9174.jpeg

• I like it 8

20 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

LS near me has this on sale for $35. They have a couple of cases, all with a 2018 bottling date. These still have the "...blend of four barrels per batch ranging in age from 6-8 years." statement on the back, which I notice is now missing from their site. I wonder if new batches still have this on the back label? Hmm...

Yes and no. Just purchased a bottle from the distillery last week. The statement is still there on the bottle, but the “four” is missing from the statement. 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, dwightschrute said:

Not today but a few days ago.  Got the BT since I was down to a L and a handle.  

EACBB118-0265-4132-952C-E96F050D5937.jpeg

The Yellowstone looks interesting. I've tried their regular offering. I thought that it was okay and could be great with more age and proof.

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

The Yellowstone looks interesting. I've tried their regular offering. I thought that it was okay and could be great with more age and proof.

18 hours ago, dwightschrute said:

Not today but a few days ago.  Got the BT since I was down to a L and a handle.  

EACBB118-0265-4132-952C-E96F050D5937.jpeg

Ive tried about 5-6 of those Yellowstone picks now and I’ve been pretty impressed with them overall.

Kinda like a larceny cousin on steroids.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Ive tried about 5-6 of those Yellowstone picks now and I’ve been pretty impressed with them overall.

I plan on a pour of it tonight.  They had this one, which is a 115 proof, and I believe one that was around 100 proof.  

• I like it 1

I’ll admit that I tatered pretty hard for this bad boy. 

RR 13 dropped in the eastern parts of PA last Thursday, so I knew (as did a horde of others) that’d it drop in the Steel City with haste. Not the kind of haste I would’ve preferred, mind you. I spent five mornings this last week waiting outside of the biggest FWGS here in Pittsburgh like a “jagoff.”

But I had a feeling this fine, warm morning. A feeling good things awaited me if I dragged my not-morning-person-ass outta bed and downtown to the liquor store. 

My suspicions proved correct. And I came home - finally - with a RR 13, at MSRP. 

D6CCEEEA-A7C1-4FE5-BA35-5DEED5260CFD.jpeg

• I like it 10

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

I tried 3 of the local store's picks sbsbs.  I really only liked one of them but I REALLY liked that one.  Of course it's the one they are sold out of. I'm glad I didn't get any Larceny notes!!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Rhettro said:

RR 13 dropped in the eastern parts of PA last Thursday, so I knew (as did a horde of others) that’d it drop in the Steel City with haste. Not the kind of haste I would’ve preferred, mind you. I spent five mornings this last week waiting outside of the biggest FWGS here in Pittsburgh like a “jagoff.”

But I had a feeling this fine, warm morning. A feeling good things awaited me if I dragged my not-morning-person-ass outta bed and downtown to the liquor store. 

My suspicions proved correct. And I came home - finally - with a RR 13, at MSRP. 

image.gif

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, dwightschrute said:

I plan on a pour of it tonight.  They had this one, which is a 115 proof, and I believe one that was around 100 proof.  

They do those black labels at 115, 109, and 105 proof and let you pick the proof.   I have seen some retailers take all 3 proofs and do well with them.    Makes a heck of a flight.

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, 0895 said:

image.gif

lol, now see that’s what I kept telling my wife and kids every morning as I slipped out the back door. 

2 hours ago, Rhettro said:

lol, now see that’s what I kept telling my wife and kids every morning as I slipped out the back door. 

There’s also a saying about begging forgiveness later or something…😁

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, geclbxf said:

They do those black labels at 115, 109, and 105 proof and let you pick the proof.   I have seen some retailers take all 3 proofs and do well with them.    Makes a heck of a flight.

…but the super secret 102p is the best.  It’s kinda like getting “animal style” In-N-Out. 🤫

71F8CE50-0609-40C6-AD28-B685B52B1E74.jpeg

Edited by 0895

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

…but the super secret 102p is the best.  It’s kinda like getting “animal style” In-N-Out. 🤫

71F8CE50-0609-40C6-AD28-B685B52B1E74.jpeg

It definitely was the best of the ones I tried.

15 hours ago, Rhettro said:

Congrats!  I would love to pick this up.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Congrats!  I would love to pick this up.

It dropped yesterday and today here in PGH. By now I’d have to assume it’s unfortunately long gone. And one bottle limits to boot - at least here anyway. But you know as well as I do that once I crack ‘er open, you’ll be getting yourself a pour. 

May of posted this already but finally met my coworker for lunch today to pick them up.  My other coworker took the WT13 year, but we’ll give samples to each other.  My Japanese coworker refused money but we got him tacos.

BD847054-63BC-440D-AD86-A5FB94FFAE3E.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Tacos

E8C7EE7B-A54E-476D-BE20-33863A03B844.jpeg

Edited by HoustonNit
Tacos pic
  • I like it 8

On 8/21/2021 at 6:43 AM, G L Tirebiter said:

On Thursday, I stopped at the FW&GS store and asked one of the workers if he knew if any allocated stuff was coming in on the truck Friday.  He said the Bufflalo Trace stuff was supposed to be there.  I said I'd probably miss it since I volunteer at the food bank until around 10 and the store opens at 9.  He told me the truck was scheduled for 1030 so Friday morning I hustled down after food bank arriving around 10:40.  There were already 10 people waiting in the store.  (This was my first experience with lines of guys (there was one female) chasing bourbon.)  I talked to the guy in front of me and he claimed that he was retired and doesn't drink but was there for the Blanton's.   He said he "gives it away" to his many doctors ("They love this stuff!").   I heard another guy (who grabbed 2 Eagle Rares along with the box) explain that he doesn't do this much since he has a one year old at home, but he had just come from another store nearby and grabbed two Blantons from the 9AM delivery truck.   At  about 11, one of the clerks came out with two boxes of Eagle Rare.  He set it one the bar and folks in line pounced, grabbing all the bottles from the  box before the manager put the other box behind the counter and they had to figure out what was what.   They said they were checking to see if there was a change on the three bottle limit.  About ten minutes later they came out of the store room with two boxes of Blantons,  and announced that they got 12 total bottles, bringing them straight behind the counter to avoid the scene they had with the Eagle Rare.  I asked and  had gotten one bottle of Eagle Rare from the clerk (there were 4 left behind the counter)  since, at that point, everyone else was waiting for the Blantons.  Knowing there were only 12 Blantosn, and  about 10 or 12 folks ahead of me in the line (which was pretty informal) I decided I might as well pay for the ER and beat the big checkout line when they passed out the Blantons.  Well, as luck would have it, they put the Blantons right behind my cashier.  So when she was ringing me up, I politely asked if I could also get a bottle of Blantons and she set one on the counter for me .  I suppose I could have asked for 3 but didn't.  Of course, the retired guy behind me at the cashier got 3 (for his "doctor friends") so I bet that most of the people didn't get even one.    It was an interesting experience to say the least.   Hope everyone has a great weekend.

This craziness for Eagle Rare, can’t imagine doing that for even BTAC?  I’d bet over half those guys if you gave them ER and BT blind would prefer BT.  If you did EWB and ER a 1/3rd at least would prefer EWB.  Glad I prefer BT and EWB over ER.

I think I’ve seen like one ER in the last 1-2 years which I picked up for a coworker.  Tried to get some about 2.5 years back for a Russian coworkers who’s dad was visiting and she asked for an interesting bourbon to give him.  Figured an old Russian guy would dig the Eagle. First time I realized it disappeared.  I gave up and gave her a Blanton’s I had.  So glad I don’t care for that either.

These were liberated this morning from Bootlegger's in Pleasantville NJ.   The Kosher BT is blessed by Chicago rabbis,  so props to the good ol' Cubbies,  not that I can name many of their players nowadays.

20210827_162610.jpg

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

This craziness for Eagle Rare, can’t imagine doing that for even BTAC?  I’d bet over half those guys if you gave them ER and BT blind would prefer BT.  If you did EWB and ER a 1/3rd at least would prefer EWB.  Glad I prefer BT and EWB over ER.

I think I’ve seen like one ER in the last 1-2 years which I picked up for a coworker.  Tried to get some about 2.5 years back for a Russian coworkers who’s dad was visiting and she asked for an interesting bourbon to give him.  Figured an old Russian guy would dig the Eagle. First time I realized it disappeared.  I gave up and gave her a Blanton’s I had.  So glad I don’t care for that either.

I think it's mostly the pretty package and the marketing of "you can't get this - so it must be good".  I say this for ER and Blanton's.  And Blanton's by the way has been getting younger and younger.  The barrel picks nowadays are like six years old.

I also have discovered that regular BT tastes better to me than ER.  Truth is I gave up on ER after a couple were not very good, the others just mediocre.

I prefer BT over ER, and I prefer WT 101 and OF 100 over BT.

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I think it's mostly the pretty package and the marketing of "you can't get this - so it must be good".  I say this for ER and Blanton's.  And Blanton's by the way has been getting younger and younger.  The barrel picks nowadays are like six years old.

I also have discovered that regular BT tastes better to me than ER.  Truth is I gave up on ER after a couple were not very good, the others just mediocre.

I prefer BT over ER, and I prefer WT 101 and OF 100 over BT.

There was a time when I preferred ER over BT.  I had several stellar ER store picks and a few mediocre standard BTs.  Now, it is just the opposite.

Edited by mbroo5880i

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

I'm with you here. I have never waited in line for bourbon or anything else except when the Army made me. Don't get me wrong, stumbling on LEs & allocated stuff, rocks & I will spend the money when available, but my time is too valuable to elbow for position...

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.