What bourbon did you purchase today (Summer 2021)

MTNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

I'm with you here. I have never waited in line for bourbon or anything else except when the Army made me. Don't get me wrong, stumbling on LEs & allocated stuff, rocks & I will spend the money when available, but my time is too valuable to elbow for position...

Not the same as waiting in line to get your hair buzzed.

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

These were liberated this morning from Bootlegger's in Pleasantville NJ.   The Kosher BT is blessed by Chicago rabbis,  so props to the good ol' Cubbies,  not that I can name many of their players nowadays.

20210827_162610.jpg

A man that don’t waste any time opening his bottles.  I respect that.

How’s the Kosher rye compare to standard Saz.

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I think it's mostly the pretty package and the marketing of "you can't get this - so it must be good".  I say this for ER and Blanton's.  And Blanton's by the way has been getting younger and younger.  The barrel picks nowadays are like six years old.

I also have discovered that regular BT tastes better to me than ER.  Truth is I gave up on ER after a couple were not very good, the others just mediocre.

I prefer BT over ER, and I prefer WT 101 and OF 100 over BT.

I remember my aha moment.  Local store got in some barrel picks of BT and ER.  Sales guy told me the BT barrel was better and I though he was crazy.  Went home and damn if he wasn’t right.  They sold out the ER with 1-2 weeks but I must bought a case of the BT over the next couple months.  Never looked back.  

My coworker getting into bourbon didn’t believe me and brought out one of each blind at his place a few months back.  Thought the BT was way better.

I’m a big Turkey head and most days I’d grab WT over BT but wouldn’t say I really like one over another.  There very different and just deiends on my mood and palate that day.

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 2

54 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

A man that don’t waste any time opening his bottles.  I respect that.

How’s the Kosher rye compare to standard Saz.

Lost time is not found again!    Each of these were enjoyed out on the deck with a breeze blowing in from the Atlantic.  

The Kosher is "Rye Recipe",  not rye.   So what it compares to is Buffalo Trace.    Besides the Kosher cleaning of the pipes,   the difference from regular BT is a bit more proof (47),  with a seven year age statement.   (I'd think it would also merit the appelation of "bonded",  but the rabbis likely kept the revenooers at bay. )   

I have been without a bottle of BT anything here at the beach in quite some time,  so I was pleased to find this.   It was also available in the Kosher wheated recipe,  which is Weller with an age statement,  but I passed on that one.  

The Russell's Reserve Single Barrell is a motherlovin'  blackberry bomb,  one of the best RR SBs I've ever had.   No one's special barrel pick,  just an anonymous expression of Jimmy 'n Eddie's genius.   

• I like it 3

Local grocery store was having a pretty good sale.  Baker's was on sale for $44, or $40 if you bought 2.  I texted a bourbon buddy and he was on board so we are each getting one.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

These were liberated this morning from Bootlegger's in Pleasantville NJ.   The Kosher BT is blessed by Chicago rabbis,  so props to the good ol' Cubbies,  not that I can name many of their players nowadays.

20210827_162610.jpg

Hey, I got one of those signs at a store just outside Wrigley this past Sunday but they weren’t selling any of that liquid. Only Cubs, Bears, and Blackhawks stuff.

19 hours ago, Rhettro said:

It dropped yesterday and today here in PGH. By now I’d have to assume it’s unfortunately long gone. And one bottle limits to boot - at least here anyway. But you know as well as I do that once I crack ‘er open, you’ll be getting yourself a pour. 

Gentleman and a scholar my friend, will let you know when I’m back up in PA, leaving tomorrow with lots of rum to bring back 😀

• I like it 2

We let the stocks in our fridge and freezer run low while waiting for our new refrigerator. We also waited a couple of days to get groceries while we got used to our new fridge. I got home from Special Olympics bowling practice yesterday morning, and my wonderful wife let me know that she went to the grocery store. As I put my Special Olympics binder away in my bourbon/computer room, I noticed a small bag on my computer table. I opened the bag to find a bottle of BT. My wife truly is wonderful. 🥰 Most of the time.😉

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 8

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We let the stocks in our fridge and freezer run low while waiting for our new refrigerator. We also waited a couple of days to get groceries while we got used to our new fridge. I got home from Special Olympics bowling practice yesterday morning, and my wonderful wife let me know that she went to the grocery store. As I put my Special Olympics binder away in my bourbon/computer room, I noticed a small bag on my computer table. I opened the bag to find a bottle of BT. My wife truly is wonderful. 🥰 Most of the time.😉

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

Check her purse & bank statement. She's up to something!!!

If not give her a big hug, because she IS wonderful!!!

• I like it 4

21 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

The Fireball or the Crown?

Yes to all of the above 😛.

What can I say?!? It’s my favorite and they had 6 of the old labels. I couldn’t leave them stranded! 

4A9DADD3-DFAE-4BB7-95E6-A26D5BE90F60.thumb.jpeg.97349621a1edcc9c2ee235fa912ba626.jpeg

• I like it 11

7 minutes ago, CPBourbon said:

What can I say?!? It’s my favorite and they had 6 of the old labels. I couldn’t leave them stranded! 

Very nice CP!  👍 Nothing wrong at all with buying multiples of what you really like. I hope you enjoy each and every one. 😋

Biba! Joe

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Very nice CP!  👍 Nothing wrong at all with buying multiples of what you really like. I hope you enjoy each and every one. 😋

Biba! Joe

Agreed. A bottle of 1920 lasts about a month around these parts. I’ll mix in plenty of new label bottles to try and keep a couple old labels around.

• I like it 2

37 minutes ago, CPBourbon said:

Agreed. A bottle of 1920 lasts about a month around these parts. I’ll mix in plenty of new label bottles to try and keep a couple old labels around.

A real fan would have some from back when the proof label on the neck was rectangular 

🤪

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

A real fan would have some from back when the proof label on the neck was rectangular 

🤪

hmmm…fair point. How long ago did that transition happen. I only switched my main daily drinking from scotch to bourbon a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, CPBourbon said:

hmmm…fair point. How long ago did that transition happen. I only switched my main daily drinking from scotch to bourbon a few years ago. 

I think it was maybe 6-8 months after 1910 came out, because I remember buying 1910 and getting frustrated that it was round and the other 3 (I was tasting them all at once) were rectangular.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Knocked off my last one of these around the holidays. Figured it was time to re-up the liquid banana bread. 

*Woulda gone for the 100 proof Signature, but thanks to Pennsylvania‘s Liquor Control Board, it isn’t available. Anywhere, in PA. 

5816CB7A-758C-49F0-9300-A0148F3A8A3C.jpeg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, CPBourbon said:

... I only switched my main daily drinking from scotch to bourbon a few years ago. 

good choice

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Rhettro said:

Knocked off my last one of these around the holidays. Figured it was time to re-up the liquid banana bread. 

*Woulda gone for the 100 proof Signature, but thanks to Pennsylvania‘s Liquor Control Board, it isn’t available. Anywhere, in PA. 

We had the 100 go missing for a while around here.  It's started to creep back onto shelves.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Rhettro said:

I believe you can special order it sir.  When we get together, will let you try the single barrel I got from the distillery = black coffee and dark chocolate, it's divine.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.