What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you're like me you got at least one gift card for a liquor store (at least I hope you did), so what did you buy?

I bought an ECBP C921 at a nearby Bevmo.  $69.99 limit one.  ECBP has become pretty hard to get around here over the past year or so I jumped on this while I had the chance.  ECBP is one of my favorites and I nearly always have an open one in my cabinet. 

• I like it 7

I was out taking care of a couple of things today when I got a call from my wife, who was out taking care of a couple of other things.  :unsure:  She let me know that the store she was at had BT on sale for $21.99. 🙂 She bought two for me. Yes, she’s a keeper. She has been for almost 40 years now. 🥰

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 9

Bought a bottle of Weller and Noah's Mill each for the christmas days. Sadly prices got up really fast in the last couple of month, I paid nearly a hundred bucks for the Weller. 

IMG_20211222_191946907.jpg

• I like it 3

Ran into @0895 at the liquor store today (go figure!) and we spent enough time chatting that I was still there when the store put out one of their "special" bottles that they randomly put out. 

20211223_190133.jpg

• I like it 8

Struck out on BTAC. My connection that is the owner of my frequent LS gave it over to his brother. Let’s just say most prices are left in the passed on thread. Rock hill last year $65 this year $250. I can’t even imagine what the price of BTAC was. Came home with these at a consolation at another spot and still over paid. At least it was under $300 for all 3. Can we go back when it was actually reasonable?!

5CA02D34-36E5-47F9-9D92-B168FDFB5993.jpeg

• I like it 9

4 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

Struck out on BTAC. My connection that is the owner of my frequent LS gave it over to his brother. Let’s just say most prices are left in the passed on thread. Rock hill last year $65 this year $250. I can’t even imagine what the price of BTAC was. Came home with these at a consolation at another spot and still over paid. At least it was under $300 for all 3. Can we go back when it was actually reasonable?!

5CA02D34-36E5-47F9-9D92-B168FDFB5993.jpeg

I haven’t seen ETL in ages. Even longer since I’ve seen HPR. :blink: I heard a rumor that a store I used to frequent got a ps Weller FP in. Also a rumor that the cost is $200.00 a bottle. Only $100.00 if you crack it open before leaving the store. Crazy s**t.  This used to be a pretty pretty decent store. Not so much so the last few years. Hence my use of the word used.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

18 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I haven’t seen ETL in ages. Even longer since I’ve seen HPR. :blink: I heard a rumor that a store I used to frequent got a ps Weller FP in. Also a rumor that the cost is $200.00 a bottle. Only $100.00 if you crack it open before leaving the store. Crazy s**t.  This used to be a pretty pretty decent store. Not so much so the last few years. Hence my use of the word used.

Biba! Joe

It’s so sad when that happens. My preferred LS let me down but I did buy the HPR for $99.99 since I never seen it around these parts. Went to the LS that sold me GTS for $90 in 2017 and then 2021 bought WFP for $99.99 and ETL for $84.99.  Remember when ETL was $40 with tax?! 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I've actually offered to store owners that I would crack a bottle open (and even give them a taste) in hopes of lowering a price but to date that tactic has not worked. 

• I like it 1

Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good:

2021 ETL receipt.jpg

I paid $49.99 for the RHF with the recent Lot B win, too.  And I remember when ETL was everywhere at $20.99 OTD,.   😥

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 10

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

2021 ETL receipt.jpg

I paid $49.99 for the RHF with the recent Lot B win, too.  And I remember when ETL was everywhere at $20.99 OTD,.   😥

Of course, you must be both lucky and good, as your personal Santa took really good care of you!  Enjoy!

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I "used" to always go to pick up LE bottles during off times so the store would be slow and only have a few employees or customers.  This was expressly to offer to open LE bottles with the store manager and offer a pour to any employee who wanted a taste.   Typically, they would pass due to company policy.  I remember one time they took me up on it when they had held a bottle ER17 for me.  I still fondly remember the gleam in their eyes.  I recall a few other times.  Like the time I brought in a sample of SBHH2.  They wanted to know where I got it.  I told them that it was my little secret.   

Similar to you @fishnbowljoe, I sadly use the word "used" since those days are long gone.  The store is still there but the people are not.  I still shop there occasionally but its not the same.  My friends have moved on to better jobs and I no longer inquire about special bottles.   We used to worry about Flippers but now Taters are just as much of an issue.

While I would still love to visit with these folks and enjoy a taste or chat, its ok because it was part of my bourbon journey and I recall those times fondly.  

• I like it 5

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

My step brother and his wife live in Taunton. We had a family get together there back in 2014. One day, the gals went shopping, and my brother and I went to the shooting range at his gun club. When we got done at the shooting range, we took a drive. We drove by a few historic places, and of course visited a couple of liquor stores. I bought two ETL’s at one store for $29.99 each. The gal at the checkout counter asked if something was wrong after she told me the price and I gave her a quizzical look. I asked her if she was sure that was the correct price cause it seemed a little low. My step brother smiled and told her I was from Illinois. She smiled, then winked at me and said “No tax.” 😎

Biba! Joe

Biba! 

• I like it 3

Picked up a Willet 4 year, a Smoke Wagon Christmas bottle and a rarely seen Weller SR

Edited by Smokey the Pig

Had great fun yesterday… being put to task as the resident spirits elf in every liquor store I visited. When shoppers would ask for recommendations-- the owners/employees would point to me. I ended up selling ten times more than I bought and got two job offers to boot.

IMG_7390.thumb.jpg.6a4d2b993ff4db4111bbf1cfc43a201b.jpg

• I like it 11

The ORVW and Weller were lottery wins.  The Blanton’s and BC Seagrass were gifts from friends at the Christmas Eve party that has assisted in emptying the same recently.

80985B94-32F4-4CC5-8D46-018CA76B838A.jpeg

• I like it 11

I stepped out of my comfort zone today.  I met my oldest son and his girlfriend for dinner this evening.  I paid for dinner but beforehand he met me to pick out a couple bottles of bourbon for my birthday and Christmas.  We ended up at Vine & Table in Carmel which has a nice eclectic selection of bourbons and whiskeys and usually has stellar single barrels.  My wife and I arrived a little earlier than my son and his girlfriend so we sampled several different whiskeys.  They have a nice tasting bar.  I had determined I wanted to pick out something I would not normally buy,  I ended up selecting two cask strength barrel finished whiskeys.  Who would have figured?  I was able to sample and discuss a few I really enjoyed.  On my dime, I am often too prudent and opt for the known entity at a reasonable price but he insisted I step outside of my box and buy something different that I will enjoy. 

I ended up with Cask Strength Burning Chair Store Selection Single Barrel from Savage and Cooke (Dave Phinney).  It is 119.4 proof.  It is a blend of bourbon from IN, KY, and TN finished in wine barrels.  I have seen a lot of NDP offerings like this where younger whiskey is disguised with wine barrel finishing.  I initially suspected this one was not much different.  However, in the end, it is about what is in the glass and whether you enjoy it.  The proof on this one adds a nice punch to the finish and the sweet spicy long finish is awesome.  Apparently, the spirits buyer for the store, with whom my palate often matches, agreed since they picked up a single barrel at cask strength.  I should point out I believe he is a member of this forum.  I know his father was a very well regarded and missed member not only of the SB.com community but the Indy whiskey community.

I also ended up with another store pick.  J. Rieger Private Stock.  I have seen J. Rieger Private Stock before.  It is a blended whiskey – straight bourbon, light corn whiskey, and straight rye.  The twist is the store selected a cask strength version aged in a Cabernet Franc barrel.  It is 122 proof.  Again, it is what is in the glass that counts.  The palate and finish were like a well-timed symphony.  A nice spicy nutty entry followed by a long tart cherry finish that goes on for several minutes.  This is an awesome whiskey!

Would either of these bottles been ones I would have walked in and bought on my own.  Probably not.  Will I enjoy them?  You betcha!

As a dose of sanity, I also picked up a bottle of Woodinville Port Finish on my dime.  I bought it without sampling.  It is the one I opened when I got home.  I will post my thoughts in the What Are You Drinking Thread.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

Took a trip to the package on the Norfolk Navy Base.

$313.00 later, I walked out with this😄

Between the tax free shopping, and the prices, I couldn't help myself.   When shopping on base,  you still need to know prices, because they're not always the best.   The selection wasn't the best, due to the holiday, but there was enough there worth getting.  

20211227_135621.jpg

• I like it 6

On 12/23/2021 at 10:51 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

You guys just need to play oline for Carson Wentz and he’ll get you one.  He’ll even throw in a Blanton’s Gold and a Yeti cooler.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/colts-qb-carson-wentz-showers-223757643.html

521444AB-2851-4520-A639-9CA7308DB7D8.bmp

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 3

bookers bardstown batch for $99. I know, too much, but i was almost out of my bottle of beaten biscuits from 2019, and i like to have one of these around. 

also a Hancock's for $65 for a friend. This stuff seems to be showing up lately.

• I like it 2

Made a post in another thread about our hero @Harry in WashDC and OGD BiB and walked into a store a couple hours later and found this! That’s some next level shit! 

Reminds me of another SB friend that loves the black screw cap OGD @kevinbrink. Miss you brother. Hope you’re well. 

6475C904-BD6B-4F99-A608-682A0CE35F12.jpeg

• I like it 5

11 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Made a post in another thread about our hero @Harry in WashDC and OGD BiB and walked into a store a couple hours later and found this! That’s some next level shit! 

Reminds me of another SB friend that loves the black screw cap OGD @kevinbrink. Miss you brother. Hope you’re well. 

Good Karma to end the year! 😎👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Walked into the liquor store today and as expected, the shelves were cleared out. Looked like a bomb had gone off - it was pretty bad. 

On my last pass before walking out, I looked down, onto the near-bottom shelf and spotted this ol’ girl staring back at me. Huh, didn’t expect to see you here. I didn’t have a C921 in the collection yet, but I do now. 

Happy New Year, SB crew. Here’s to a terrific 2022 for all of you fine folks. 

2E48A05F-92E5-4168-B0A9-95E03B876110.jpeg

• I like it 8

It has been several years since I have seen VOB 100pf on the shelf. Today, I spied a few. They came home with me.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.