What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, apt43bear said:

Today’s haul. Looking forward to trying the Bardstown Discovery 6… I enjoyed the 4, was ehhh on the 5 but heard the 6 improved upon the 5. Also looking forward to MM FAE-02 and comparing to FAE-01. I always keep telling myself that this will be the last Bookers due to the price increases so hopefully this will be my last…. Still don’t know why I get FOMO when I see it for retail price and not marked up. 

1871C601-2169-4377-9989-D6CFE5ECBE23.jpeg

I thought number 6 was fantastic, although I also loved Discovery number 5.

• I like it 1

On 1/8/2022 at 3:20 PM, ThomasGazelle said:

Nothing out of the ordinary, though i have not tried the revamped 1783 yet, but OTD for $41.03 isn’t too shabby. 

42BD5A49-12F5-4E9D-8D55-782F21EAEAEB.jpeg

Nothing out of the ordinary is still quite enjoyable!

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, apt43bear said:

Today’s haul. Looking forward to trying the Bardstown Discovery 6… I enjoyed the 4, was ehhh on the 5 but heard the 6 improved upon the 5. Also looking forward to MM FAE-02 and comparing to FAE-01. I always keep telling myself that this will be the last Bookers due to the price increases so hopefully this will be my last…. Still don’t know why I get FOMO when I see it for retail price and not marked up. 

1871C601-2169-4377-9989-D6CFE5ECBE23.jpeg

I seem to recall that the shelves in the background are your whiskey collection.  Is that correct?  If so, that is amazing!  BTW, great pick ups!

• I like it 1

On recommendation from Harry in WashDC to join him on the bottom shelf, and a second from PaulO, may I humbly present a full liter of OGD BIB for the very affordable price of $23.99.  Not unhappy with my purchase.  

• I like it 7

22 minutes ago, Thomm said:

On recommendation from Harry in WashDC to join him on the bottom shelf, and a second from PaulO, may I humbly present a full liter of OGD BIB for the very affordable price of $23.99.  Not unhappy with my purchase.  

And you shouldn't be.  Folks pay $40 a bottle for Basil Hayden.  This is the same thing but at 100 proof for a lot less.

Enjoy!

• I like it 2

On 1/9/2022 at 6:06 AM, geclbxf said:

I thought number 6 was fantastic, although I also loved Discovery number 5.

I think my expectations were just sky high for #5 since I was blown away by #4.  On its own, I probably was too quick to judge the 5 as I still enjoyed it but always had compared it mentally to the 4.  Love the series overall though!

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I seem to recall that the shelves in the background are your whiskey collection.  Is that correct?  If so, that is amazing!  BTW, great pick ups!

Yup! The shelves in the background is most of the whiskey in the collection. I'm a little all over the place with my whiskey. Though a fair amount is bourbon, I think I mostly have scotch and japanese whiskies with a growing irish whiskey number.  All depending on the mood and the company that's over. Looking at an app I use, about 70 bottles are currently open so there's always something there to please the mood!

Thanks - looking forward to trying some of these recent pickups!

• I like it 1

I actually went out to a bar with my son and a few bowling buddies Saturday. I thought I’d try something different. They had Jefferson’s Ocean. Not too bad. Today, guess what my son bought me? 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.8d8350f3aaea6221a613244f12ef532a.jpeg

• I like it 5

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I actually went out to a bar with my son and a few bowling buddies Saturday. I thought I’d try something different. They had Jefferson’s Ocean. Not too bad. Today, guess what my son bought me? 😎

Biba! Joe

Looks like Voyage 23? Are you getting any hints of salt? 

I've had 15 and 19 and thought I could faintly get a salt undertone but that could have just been because I was looking for it. Either way, I think they're pretty decent pours, albeit a bit steep price-wise. 

37 minutes ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

Looks like Voyage 23? Are you getting any hints of salt? 

I've had 15 and 19 and thought I could faintly get a salt undertone but that could have just been because I was looking for it. Either way, I think they're pretty decent pours, albeit a bit steep price-wise. 

It is Voyage 23. I don’t get a salt flavor, but I get a different type of nut flavor. Many folks think there’s peanut or pecan nose and flavor in some bourbons. This is gonna sound weird, but I get a mixed nut or nutshell nose and flavor. My wife said the nose resembles Brach’s Maple Nut Goodies.There is wood influence in the flavor as well as aldehyde and some type of mild spice. Not bad, but not a regular pour for me.

Biba! Joe

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It is Voyage 23. I don’t get a salt flavor, but I get a different type of nut flavor. Many folks think there’s peanut or pecan nose and flavor in some bourbons. This is gonna sound weird, but I get a mixed nut or nutshell nose and flavor. My wife said the nose resembles Brach’s Maple Nut Goodies.There is wood influence in the flavor as well as aldehyde and some type of mild spice. Not bad, but not a regular pour for me.

Biba! Joe

Interesting. Similar to my experience with Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, I just kept getting honey roasted peanuts. It was actually pretty enjoyable. That was a store pick, so not sure how the others compare. 

• I like it 2

Well, I sinned today. I have been working the bunker down, but today I went to pick up some unique ales and came across an Old Forester sampler pack. I already have full versions of each of these, but I couldn't resist.

Pat

20220111_212719.jpg

• I like it 10

4 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Well, I sinned today. I have been working the bunker down, but today I went to pick up some unique ales and came across an Old Forester sampler pack. I already have full versions of each of these, but I couldn't resist.

Pat

20220111_212719.jpg

I recently purchased one of these Pat. I’ve had the 1910 & 1920, and I’m thinking of blending those two. 🤔 (1915 😉) What are your thoughts on the 1897? I’m probably gonna open it first.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I recently purchased one of these Pat. I’ve had the 1910 & 1920, and I’m thinking of blending those two. 🤔 (1915 😉) What are your thoughts on the 1897? I’m probably gonna open it first.

Biba! Joe

Well, I grabbed an 1897 when they first came out. I do like it, but actually prefer the older OF BIB that I stumbled across a decade ago. Still have several. I actually like all things Brown Forman. 

Pat

1 minute ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Well, I grabbed an 1897 when they first came out. I do like it, but actually prefer the older OF BIB that I stumbled across a decade ago. Still have several. I actually like all things Brown Forman. 

Pat

I know exactly what you mean about those older OF BIB’s. 👍 😋👌

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

My son bought me 25 for Christmas. Pretty good.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I know exactly what you mean about those older OF BIB’s. 👍 😋👌

Biba! Joe

Joe, I did open the 1897 tonight, and have to say that it is really very close to the older OF BiBs. Tasty indeed.

Pat

• I like it 1

On 1/11/2022 at 11:58 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Not that you asked me, but me being me, I'm answering anyway.  My fave of these three for consistent drinking is the 1897.  The 1920 puts me to sleep with no bump in flavor, and the 1910 is "okay".  That said, I do like this line of expressions better than the basic OF line, particularly the old Signature which I could never get into.

ON THREAD - Hit a Virginia ABC store today while my wife was grocery shopping.  Bourbon shelves were depleted ("Truck from Richmond is late this week,") so I am down to a handful of OGD BIB back-ups.  Good news is they had multiple 4R Batch Selects just sitting there while WT 101 KSBW, etc., were sold out.  Bought one.  Got home and found I already have two unopened and one open.  Is good to be overstocked.😋

• I like it 6

21 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Joe, I did open the 1897 tonight, and have to say that it is really very close to the older OF BiBs. Tasty indeed.

Pat

Thank you sir. May I have another?  🥃

And thank you too Harry. 👍

Biba! Joe

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thank you sir. May I have another?  🥃

And thank you too Harry. 👍

Biba! Joe

ha, yes, you may. And thank you too Harry. OGD and 4R are in my wheelhouse.

Pat

• I like it 3

On 1/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

Pat

20220111_212719.jpg

I'm on the lookout for one of those sets.  I don't know if they are coming to Indiana.  (We are about last to get anything new, if we get it.)

• I like it 1

Today I stopped by the store where I got my OF set. I planned on buying another.  Nothing. The manger said his order was screwed up. He ordered two case lots, but only got two sets. I told him I thought there was more than that on the rack when I bought mine, but he said no. He did get a couple of things in today though. I saw him with a customer that had an ER and an EH Taylor in his hands. I think that if I hadn’t seen this, I’d have walked out empty handed. When I asked him if he had anything else of interest, he said he might have one Blanton’s in the back. 🙄 This manager has put me off on things and given me the run around several times recently. I think that since I saw him with a customer that had a couple of good  bottles in hand, I shamed him into offering me something for a change. 😉 Even though I payed a few bucks too much, I didn’t walk out empty handed. 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.a372af841d174949ca48fad62df546f6.jpeg

• I like it 9

Remus Reserve $81! Will be the first thing I open once January ends. Got two but gave one to the friend who told me about the WFP. Stagg was a bonus from behind the counter. 

4BC71672-B33A-4690-88DD-32E3F8A95C79.jpeg

• I like it 10

8 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Remus Reserve $81! Will be the first thing I open once January ends. Got two but gave one to the friend who told me about the WFP. Stagg was a bonus from behind the counter. 

4BC71672-B33A-4690-88DD-32E3F8A95C79.jpeg

What about the friend who told you to buy Remus?

PM for my address.

😎

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.