What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, Kepler said:

Opened up a fresh KC9 this evening.  Or rather, I should say KC100 because this particular bottle is from that brief period when Beam removed the 9 yr age statement.  No matter; tastes great to me.

On 9/9/2022 at 12:16 AM, fosmith said:

To me the KC NAS bottles were still really good.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:08 PM, Kepler said:

Agree, this NAS one tastes very good too. I don't have a standard 9 year age-stated version open to compare it with, but I might have to look for one.  I see a KC9 100 proof store pick in my cabinet, but that would not be a fair fight.  I'll have to see if I have a regular KC9 shelfie sitting around in my bunker somewhere.  Almost all of my Knob Creek bottles on hand are the 120 proof single barrel store picks.

Ok so 5 months later I'm finally doing a direct SBS of KC NAS versus KC 9 year.   🤷‍♂️

Nothing that you all haven't already done years ago, but what can I say.

The verdict...

I agree that the NAS version is still really good, and still better than 95% of all bourbons readily available at the price of KC.  But...

The KC9 definitely beats the NAS and it is definitely noticeable in a side by side comparison.   No real surprise.  I'm not sure I would notice without a direct comparison but that might be because I drink a lot of different bourbons and my palate memory is not that advanced.  A guy that drinks this as his "go-to" everyday type pour would definitely notice the difference IMO.

Just for grins, I threw in some KC12 to compare to the other two.  It's not close .   and again not surprising.  Wow KC12 is  just a great 100 proof pour.  If this KC12 was actually an available bourbon on the shelf for $60ish in my area, then it just might challenge my other favorite bourbon in that price range, RRSiB.  Alas KC12 is rarely on the shelves in these parts for its actual msrp.  RRSiB is getting scarcer by the day, but still much easier to find than KC12 in Texas.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 4

I understand this thread requires pictures however I didn't take any. 😣 Last week we went south and had a wonderful time celebrating the wedding of my niece. It was the perfect occasion to shares some bottles from the squirreled away collection. We shared some cigars, lies, and fine bourbon-ETL-Blue Weller-CEHT SB-Old Fitz 11yr. All bottles were opened new and took the expected beating. ETL was the crowd favorite and no surprise since most were not avid bourbon nerds. The WBP was a SP and incredible, and one that didn't get finished off so I'll get to have several more pours from this special barrel. 

• I like it 4

9 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

I understand this thread requires pictures however I didn't take any. 😣 Last week we went south and had a wonderful time celebrating the wedding of my niece. It was the perfect occasion to shares some bottles from the squirreled away collection. We shared some cigars, lies, and fine bourbon-ETL-Blue Weller-CEHT SB-Old Fitz 11yr. All bottles were opened new and took the expected beating. ETL was the crowd favorite and no surprise since most were not avid bourbon nerds. The WBP was a SP and incredible, and one that didn't get finished off so I'll get to have several more pours from this special barrel. 

Hmmm. I was not aware of a requirement of pix for posting in this thread.    It would be a challenge for me, for sure.    I'd have to await the delivery of my developed and printed film, then somehow paste a print onto my computer screen I suppose.   Not too sure anybody but me would be able to see it though. Ha!

I'll tempt fate and tell y'all what I intend to open and offer company this evening.   The next up bottle of EWSB for those not wishing higher proof whiskey, as well as (an already open) WT 101, and last but not least a 'new' OGD 114.     I'm guessing one or the other of these will be acceptable to anybody wishing a pour.   Sorry if the lack of a pic offends.....

Just tongue in cheek bout pics Rich. But I am back to sampling the Blue Weller and yes, I was right the first time. :) 

• I like it 1

I haven’t had an ER10 open for at least a couple of years and recently my brother shared this Eagle Rare with me. So….opened  it up yesterday evening.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy this brand. Admittedly ER10 would be significantly better if bottled at 101 proof and be NCF  ( I guess most whiskey would,) none the less I enjoyed my pours last night and look forward to exploring the bottle. 

Cheers 

53ADC0A1-32AD-47D5-92B9-D8B32ABC6BAA.jpeg

• I like it 9

Opened these two this weekend. Opened the ECBP on Friday night as it was one of my "prizes" for winning the SB Fantasy Football league this season. Very happy with the selection. 

The Knob Creek is a great L&K selection I opened this afternoon. The bigger question is how long will it take before these two end up on the Empty Bottle thread?!

IMG_3369.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.