What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The mission was two-fold in going deep into the bunker for these two. First, do they stand the test of time, with my experience, collection and palate having evolved quite a bit since these were staples for me. Second, how do they compare to each other.

Old Ezra is very nice—good bourbon flavor, punching above its price-point of $19.99 (with the price sticker to prove it!).  The age-stated FC is bold, brash and what you would expect of FC. The 6 years of aging surely adds something that the no age-stated version would offer, but it is no top shelf bourbon. Good stuff though.

Between the two, the OE101 is definitely more refined and one I would reach for more often. Both are solid. YMMV. 

6C8052C8-829B-4609-91CE-4DF24339E236.jpeg

• I like it 10

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

The mission was two-fold in going deep into the bunker for these two. First, do they stand the test of time, with my experience, collection and palate having evolved quite a bit since these were staples for me. Second, how do they compare to each other.

Old Ezra is very nice—good bourbon flavor, punching above its price-point of $19.99 (with the price sticker to prove it!).  The age-stated FC is bold, brash and what you would expect of FC. The 6 years of aging surely adds something that the no age-stated version would offer, but it is no top shelf bourbon. Good stuff though.

Between the two, the OE101 is definitely more refined and one I would reach for more often. Both are solid. YMMV. 

Wow, a couple of flashbacks from the past!  Great bottles!.  I know you are active in the forums but it good to see a post!

• I like it 1

On 11/11/2022 at 11:32 PM, Thomm said:

Purchased and opened and mixed and drank one rather delightful Manhattan, with a special thanks to Knob Creek Rye. Did not lather, nor did I rinse, but I shall repeat. 

IMG_20221111_220724.jpg

Grabbed a bottle last weekend. First bottle of KC Rye in several years.  It is a rough around the edges rye.  Quite enjoyable!

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

OE101 was a heckuva value pour. 

• I like it 4

22 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Confirmed. Still holds its own.

On 11/17/2022 at 5:20 PM, JCwhammie said:

OE101 was a heckuva value pour. 

One of my first bourbon loves. The bottle caught my eye, the flavor profile captivated my palate. Lots of barrel character and a nice bit of raisin in there. Kept some open most all of the time from 2005-2018, and I still miss it.

Edited by TBoner
  • I like it 2

OE7 and the old Fighting Cock makes us nostalgic for the old bourbon days.  Of course, the old bourbon days still primarily applies to those of us who entered the fray post-glut.  The real old-timers will tell us "Here hold my ...."  Beer, yes, I was saying beer.  But, you never hear "Here, hold my shot glass" or "Here, hold my bottle."  

• I like it 1

Yesterday afternoon I opened and enjoyed a few pours of George Dickel 8 yo Bourbon.  It just really hit the spot for me.  

• I like it 3

Little Book 6.  I did not like it.  It is young and, worse yet, tasted young.  I'd rather have a regular Bookers for less.

Perhaps it shall improve.  I've had other suboptimal starts that improved over time.  Perhaps it'll open up, or my palate is off, etc.  We'll see.

I always open several bottles for the holidays when my Daughter & SIL show up. This year, however, I figured to let the bottles catch a little air, not to mention, touch a little foreign handheld glass.

So the grand opening is as follows...

holidays.thumb.jpg.37ab298a6c7d45b3f76f5ea57d461d67.jpg

Tried the Rye, The Remus & working on the Bardstown. So far, all I can say is Happy Holidays to me. I feel so selfish!!!

• I like it 7

6 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Breaking in my first Washington Whatevers purchase with this😜

20221123_180254.jpg

Oft times, that is my decanter fill, also...

Red hots, personified!!!

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, bayouredd said:

Oft times, that is my decanter fill, also...

Red hots, personified!!!

Good call!

I keep John J Bowman in the other decanter.

That way, I can go hot, (or not), and both are firmly in my 100 proof wheelhouse. 

• I like it 1

Getting ready to settle down on the couch for some NFL football on this fine Thanksgiving Day.

Seemed like a good day to open a great bottle!  Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Weller Full Proof.jpg

• I like it 9

On 11/23/2022 at 8:21 PM, JT3NSB said:

B&B Pick from a  few years back..

.0F634A46-8606-4C15-B28D-909476DBBF63.thumb.jpeg.71d16428b7cfb9b10137fc3c6ca48ba7.jpeg

I’ll bet it’s good.  I’ve always had good luck with their pucks over the years.  The owner, Thomas, is a really nice guy, too.   I’ve bought a lot of whiskey there.  A lot of good dusties back in the day.  

See "What Bourbon Are You Drinking Fall 2022" for very brief notes.  Friends visited, several bottles were described, 3 were opened anew, 2 were opened for the first time.

Open.jpg

• I like it 2

Looked into the liquor cabinet and asked myself exactly why I hadn’t gotten around to opening a bottle that AE. It’s not like it will open itself.

084971A1-E13A-446B-8354-75BDE0EDEEE1.jpeg

• I like it 4

Found this in the back of the bunker and thought, this is for drinking, not bunkering.  It’s the last one in there of the six a year releases - Off Your Rocker.  The wax is a bit brittle but the contents is outstanding.  Regret not buying more, like when I used to see ETL 6 deep on the shelf. 
Cheers.  582C7779-EA90-4101-A7EA-22EBE5CA3255.thumb.jpeg.6083da76e751a4a8cd701d4b1d87745d.jpeg

• I like it 5

Been celibate vis-a-vis bourbon/alcohol since circa 7 NOV 2022.  Yeah, med issue.  Running out of parts the docs can rebuild.  SO!  "They" told me no alcohol while taking Tylenol extra strength plus Tramadol three times a day "as needed".  Two days ago, I decided to stop the T and Tr.  Last night, I had a SIP (like, less than one ounce) of HH BIB neat.  Restless night, but worth the tossing.  Tonight, I'm celebrating my survival with  4R SiB PS OESQ - 59.4 proof, 10 yr 5 month.  REALLY floral even with a small cube dropped in it.  Finished off the last 1/2 oz. with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.  Back on the wagon after tonight - see the doc on 1 DEC and want to be clear headed and ready.

OESQ happens to be my favorite 4R recipe, and this bottle, purchased a month or so ago at a relatively small markup from MSRP, is the first 4R PS of any recipe I've seen or purchased in a couple years.  Should have bought multiples.

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Been celibate vis-a-vis bourbon/alcohol since circa 7 NOV 2022.  Yeah, med issue.  Running out of parts the docs can rebuild.  SO!  "They" told me no alcohol while taking Tylenol extra strength plus Tramadol three times a day "as needed".  Two days ago, I decided to stop the T and Tr.  Last night, I had a SIP (like, less than one ounce) of HH BIB neat.  Restless night, but worth the tossing.  Tonight, I'm celebrating my survival with  4R SiB PS OESQ - 59.4 proof, 10 yr 5 month.  REALLY floral even with a small cube dropped in it.  Finished off the last 1/2 oz. with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.  Back on the wagon after tonight - see the doc on 1 DEC and want to be clear headed and ready.

OESQ happens to be my favorite 4R recipe, and this bottle, purchased a month or so ago at a relatively small markup from MSRP, is the first 4R PS of any recipe I've seen or purchased in a couple years.  Should have bought multiples.

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well.  Glad to hear you are on the mend. Good luck on your follow up with the doctor.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

To good test results, less pain, functioning parts, and a proper mending.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.