What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Climbing the KC ladder today.

9 year is at bat, with the 12 year on deck.

Didn't have to struggle with the wax, this time, but DAMN!  That cork did not want to come out! 🧐20221209_161702.thumb.jpg.69fd2e9b0ae94a64b0bdeab10a1d9abc.jpg

• I like it 7

Moving up the KC ladder to my favorite iteration of KC. I always have a bottle on-hand.

I really enjoyed the 9 year.

This pour is a little heavy-handed,  but I'm not pouring it back in the bottle😁

The 15 year is on-deck.

20221209_172149.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 9

Last rung on the KC ladder tonight

I had to pour this one in a glancairn.

I did notice that, as I climbed the ladder,  that the ease of opening bottles seem commensurate with the cost.

The wax and corks were definitely more manageable as I moved up😅

20221209_182715.jpg

• I like it 6

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel has been opened and is currently warming my glass. Yet another first-time experience for me. There's a different sweetness here, not caramel or toffee--maybe a butter and honey?  Definitely worth a second pour. 

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, Thomm said:

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel has been opened and is currently warming my glass. Yet another first-time experience for me. There's a different sweetness here, not caramel or toffee--maybe a butter and honey?  Definitely worth a second pour. 

Those are so good and not absurdly priced.  Though the prices are going up.  Definitely a regular sipper for me.  

12 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Last rung on the KC ladder tonight

I had to pour this one in a glancairn.

I did notice that, as I climbed the ladder,  that the ease of opening bottles seem commensurate with the cost.

The wax and corks were definitely more manageable as I moved up😅

20221209_182715.jpg

How was it?  I really like the 9 & 12.  I have 2 15's from the first boxed batch.  Had them for awhile.  I've been reluctant to open them.  Word is lots of oak, as in "too much".  I tend to not like Super Tannin.  Your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

How was it?  I really like the 9 & 12.  I have 2 15's from the first boxed batch.  Had them for awhile.  I've been reluctant to open them.  Word is lots of oak, as in "too much".  I tend to not like Super Tannin.  Your thoughts?

I'm terrible at describing this stuff.   

It was very good.   

It's definitely has stronger oak on the nose than the 12, but I found it "soft" on the palate, if that makes any sense.  I was expecting an oak "bomb", with all the prior reviews that I read, but it didn't overwhelm and I would not consider it overly tannic at all.  The mouthfeel is phenomenal.  I don't know your tolerance for oak, but I don't think that it will overwhelm your nose, and you may very well be surprised at the pleasant mouthfeel.    It's a great pour and I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

Having said that, the 12 year is still the King I don't believe that the 15 year is $70.00 better than the King.  If I had the opportunity to try it first, I wouldn't have spent the money.   It's good.  Damn good.  But it's not "$70.00 more than the 12-year" good.

For the same $$, I could've snagged two bottles of the 12 year, bag of chips and a candy bar🙃    

Hope this helps!

Edit:  I just re-read your post.  My bottle is from the 2nd batch, so our results may vary.   

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 5

Elijah Craig C922.

I'm not good at calling out the flavor notes, typically I either like a bourbon or not, but the nose to me is very fruity.

So far love at first sip.

• I like it 5

Haven't opened a CEHT SmB in a long time. Probably since the dog knocked a bottle out of my hand and shattered it a couple years ago.

It's been a busy week but not as busy as @Davesnothere!

20221211_141530.jpg

• I like it 6

7139EFDA-4C92-403F-907C-9603F0B442E8.thumb.jpeg.03c409a6f1fb5751a088948cb6a0063b.jpeg

Batch 102. Unique. This one is a little oaky and has a  smokey finish. Sweet heat and oak at first and then not much sweetness to the finish at all. A lot going on though.  Think Nancy said these may be MGP again?

• I like it 8

On 12/10/2022 at 6:27 AM, Anwalt said:

FWIW, my advice is to go ahead and open the KC15 even if you're afraid you might find it too woody.  I haven't tried the 15 myself, but if it indeed turns out that way, try blending it with some KC9 or KC12 and I bet it will be more to your liking (just a hunch).  Might be blasphemy to some Beam purists due to the price of the 15, but heck if it tastes better to you then just go for it I say.  Good luck either way.

• I like it 2

On 12/16/2022 at 8:44 PM, Kepler said:

FWIW, my advice is to go ahead and open the KC15 even if you're afraid you might find it too woody.  I haven't tried the 15 myself, but if it indeed turns out that way, try blending it with some KC9 or KC12 and I bet it will be more to your liking (just a hunch).  Might be blasphemy to some Beam purists due to the price of the 15, but heck if it tastes better to you then just go for it I say.  Good luck either way.

Great advice.  I found EC18 too woody but really enjoyed it when blended with EC12.  Same thing with Stagg Jr. Batch 1.  It was crazy hot.  I blended it with BT and it was excellent.  I ended up blending a WP12 Bespoke World Rye ($170 bottle) with WT101 for a much more enjoyable pour.  It is about enjoyment not price.

• I like it 1

On 12/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, Kepler said:

This right here.

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Tis the season 🎄🎅

20221217_194051.thumb.jpg.6fa902df45c5024208421cafc3ddefd7.jpg

This bottle has become a Christmas favorite for me. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

On 12/16/2022 at 8:44 PM, Kepler said:

10 hours ago, flahute said:

This right here.

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Great advice.  I found EC18 too woody but really enjoyed it when blended with EC12.  Same thing with Stagg Jr. Batch 1.  It was crazy hot.  I blended it with BT and it was excellent.  I ended up blending a WP12 Bespoke World Rye ($170 bottle) with WT101 for a much more enjoyable pour.  It is about enjoyment not price.

OK, gonna pop it when I'm back in PR.  Probably try a flight of 9, 12 & 15.  And unashamedly mix it if it's too oaky.  I'm still processing that concept.  But you guys have collectively not steered wrong yet.  So into the Unknown Country I go.

Thanks!

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

OK, gonna pop it when I'm back in PR.  Probably try a flight of 9, 12 & 15.  And unashamedly mix it if it's too oaky.  I'm still processing that concept.  But you guys have collectively not steered wrong yet.  So into the Unknown Country I go.

Thanks!

I also agree with the others.

Also, if it doesn't hit the spot, revisit it in a month or two. I can be hit or miss with the super oaky bourbon. One day they're too bitter and dry. The next day the oakiness turns sweet and harmonic. 

• I like it 3

59 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Also, if it doesn't hit the spot, revisit it in a month or two. I can be hit or miss with the super oaky bourbon. One day they're too bitter and dry. The next day the oakiness turns sweet and harmonic. 

Sometimes the palate wants oak. I wouldnt mix it all.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Technically yesterday - Michter's 10yr Rye and 2022 The King - George T Stagg.

Both of those are very good releases this year.

I know the M10 rye is single barrel, but the one I just opened is head and shoulders better than ones I’ve tried in the past.

The empty glass after you finish the’22 GTS is heavenly for the nose.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Agree with whammie here. Somedays my palate is over sensitive to oak but the next three times that bourbon tasted perfect to me.

• I like it 3

35 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Both of those are very good releases this year.

I know the M10 rye is single barrel, but the one I just opened is head and shoulders better than ones I’ve tried in the past.

The empty glass after you finish the’22 GTS is heavenly for the nose.

Great call.  That empty glass the next day is particularly awesome.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.