What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/27/2022 at 5:04 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Been celibate vis-a-vis bourbon/alcohol since circa 7 NOV 2022.  Yeah, med issue.  Running out of parts the docs can rebuild.  SO!  "They" told me no alcohol while taking Tylenol extra strength plus Tramadol three times a day "as needed".  Two days ago, I decided to stop the T and Tr.  Last night, I had a SIP (like, less than one ounce) of HH BIB neat.  Restless night, but worth the tossing.  Tonight, I'm celebrating my survival with  4R SiB PS OESQ - 59.4 proof, 10 yr 5 month.  REALLY floral even with a small cube dropped in it.  Finished off the last 1/2 oz. with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.  Back on the wagon after tonight - see the doc on 1 DEC and want to be clear headed and ready.

OESQ happens to be my favorite 4R recipe, and this bottle, purchased a month or so ago at a relatively small markup from MSRP, is the first 4R PS of any recipe I've seen or purchased in a couple years.  Should have bought multiples.

We miss you Harry! Get well quickly.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Cracked an EC12 from el bunkerino. Cheers 🍻 

20221129_211450.jpg

Great color in that bottle (and glass)!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, beasled said:

Cracked an EC12 from el bunkerino. Cheers 🍻 

20221129_211450.jpg

The sight of one of those bottles always brings a smile to my brain.  Enjoy!

• I like it 2

Cracked open this local store pick. It's very good. I may have to go back for another.

I had the neck pour but since the neck is so short I had some shoulder, too. 😛

20221130_195551.jpg

20221130_195558.jpg

• I like it 10

Opened last night. Barreled on 12.16.08, so figured this would be a good December bottle to have open. Very dark and rich, a good one.

IMG_4117.jpg

• I like it 9

The Stork is a german rye, jawoll meine Herren! Not bad, a little too Brandy-tasting imo, which is weird in comparison, but it reminds a lot of some spanish expressions, slightly cherry-ish. 

IMG_20221201_210253359.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Opened last night. Barreled on 12.16.08, so figured this would be a good December bottle to have open. Very dark and rich, a good one.

IMG_4117.jpg

Impossible to get in Germany right now, last time I bought 5 bottles. One of the best there is! Enjoy!!!

• I like it 1

On 12/1/2022 at 8:16 AM, Clueby said:

Cracked open this local store pick. It's very good. I may have to go back for another.

I had the neck pour but since the neck is so short I had some shoulder, too. 😛

20221130_195551.jpg

20221130_195558.jpg

I really, really like Wilderness Trail whiskey.   IMHO, they're doing great things over there.   I bought my first bottle, at the suggestion of a friend, and have not regretted it.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

IMG_4117.jpg

I have a couple bottles left, one with a cork, and the other with a screw-top.    The one with the screw top was barreled on 12/20/07 and the one with the cork on 6/21/11. They must've made the change shortly after I bought mine.    I haven't cracked the older bottle yet, but the cork-topped bottle is pretty tasty.

I really do hearken for the days when it was ~$30.00, when it was a staple in my bunker.   I just passed on one at $89.99😏    It's good, (and hit or miss to boot), but not $90.00 good!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

VOB 100 proof has made it to SC so I excitedly snatched one up for $19. I’ve heard about this bourbon for years so I was pleased to see it even though it’s sans the 6 year age statement. The profile shocked me. I was expecting classic caramel and vanilla and heat due to the proof and age. Heat has been a common experience for me with a lot of Barton I suspected to be younger. This however had no rough corners or burn and was earthy. It’s interesting to say the least. I don’t prefer it to ET or WT 101 but it’s great to have something so different to provide a changeup. 

• I like it 6

I went Barton today, too.  A lone bottle of 1792 12 year showed up on a locals shelf, so brought it home.  A touch grassy, and no typical 1792 banana notes detected on first try, though I like the banana notes…in moderation.  Drinking well, at the moment.  

BE30F9B5-EDBC-450D-8CA0-CB9F53E260EC.jpeg

• I like it 9

Opened this last night and it was singing right out of the gate.  6yr. 102 proof single barrel MGP bourbon.  Mrs. Smith joined the party and is partly responsible for the fill level, BTW. 

I've really been enjoying these 5 -6 yr MGP sourced bottles such as Doc Swinson's, SAOS, Heaven's door, NULU, etc. 

clyde may's.jpg

• I like it 8

ER10 has been showing up pretty regularly over the last several months, and I’ve been picking them up similarly.  The Thanksgiving opened bottle got crushed by the family very quickly, so not even time to post a pic.  Tonight, opening the Christmas bottle with total understanding that it won’t make it to Christmas.  🤪

08B46EDC-29A7-4D8E-84EB-2CEA8D133DA1.jpeg

• I like it 11

Opened, and emptied,  on the same day😉

If I had a daily drinker, this would probably be it.

20221208_180822.jpg

20221208_181102.jpg

• I like it 4

14 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

How do you like it?

Still making up my mind. I have found that an awful lot of these drink better after they've been open for a wee spell.

Whoring with the Whorey (not to be confused with hoary and especially not with the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth) Whores.

Naughty, dropping in proof.  But wanted to open & sip.

W12.jpg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.