What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Great call.  That empty glass the next day is particularly awesome.  

Agree wholeheartedly with you both. 

On 12/15/2022 at 6:34 PM, FasterHorses said:

7139EFDA-4C92-403F-907C-9603F0B442E8.thumb.jpeg.03c409a6f1fb5751a088948cb6a0063b.jpeg

Batch 102. Unique. This one is a little oaky and has a  smokey finish. Sweet heat and oak at first and then not much sweetness to the finish at all. A lot going on though.  Think Nancy said these may be MGP again?

Hey there @FasterHorses, that's right, the majority of it these days is the MPG 36% Bourbon, but it still does have some Barton's in....perhaps around 25 to 30% of the batch. 

• I like it 8

On 12/18/2022 at 10:20 AM, FasterHorses said:

Sometimes the palate wants oak. I wouldnt mix it all.

Yeah, indeed save plenty.  Any home blending experiment should be done in small quantities in case it doesn't improve over what's in bottle to start with.

• I like it 3

On 11/2/2022 at 8:40 PM, beasled said:

Since there's no 'what bottle did you try to open?' thread... this. 

20221102_203418.jpg

Part two in a series of... ?

But no worries. Being a Brit I have good supply of tea bags to filter out any cork, and have a good supply of spare corks following re-cantering. 

Beam me up Scotty!

20221223_225652.jpg

20221223_225937.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Part two in a series of... ?

But no worries. Being a Brit I have good supply of tea bags to filter out any cork, and have a good supply of spare corks following re-cantering. 

Beam me up Scotty!

20221223_225652.jpg

20221223_225937.jpg

Genius!  I wish KC would go to screw caps. In fact, I wish all bourbon bottles had screw caps.  But, KC with that crazy wax is among the worst to deal with.  I just spent 10 minutes trying to open a bottle of KC.  

• I like it 2

Just opened a store pick 4R SiB, OBSK...

Doesn't go with the cinnamon-raisin cookie I'm having. Will get back to ya on that one...

• I like it 3

Just opened a Woodenville Straight ....lots  of flavor.  Glad my friend grabbed me two when he was in Youngstown, OH a few weeks ago.  Listening to Steve Earle's first on the stereo and the tubes are keeping the room toasty.....

"Down that hill.-.....billy highway....goes on and on."

• I like it 6

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Genius!  I wish KC would go to screw caps. In fact, I wish all bourbon bottles had screw caps.  But, KC with that crazy wax is among the worst to deal with.  I just spent 10 minutes trying to open a bottle of KC.  

These old KC bottles are quite easy to open actually. The plastic sticky strip under the wax comes away easily, though it sends the wax flying everywhere of course.

My gripe is that the remaining wax on the neck creates an extra lip so when pouring it out it can spill easy... 

• I like it 2

Opened one of my lottery bottles today. Sharing with some non-bourbon family members and they seem to like it.

I think it's fantastic!

20221225_161427.jpg

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, Davesnothere said:

Opened one of my lottery bottles today. Sharing with some non-bourbon family members and they seem to like it.

I think it's fantastic!

20221225_161427.jpg

Very envious! Very hard to find in Europe, and if I do find one, it is extremely costly! Enjoy!

Friday night, I opened a bottle of KC 15 (without a problem opening it!) which was full of flavor at 100 proof.  Last night, I opened a New Riff Single barrel that is slightly higher proof and just as tasty

• I like it 4

On 12/24/2022 at 7:03 AM, JT3NSB said:

Some tasty Tennessee whisky…

E85A28CF-E12E-44C5-BEC8-31C33EAC8DAC.jpeg

Jealous of you.  Healthy pour.  How was it?

6 hours ago, kwshannon said:

Jealous of you.  Healthy pour.  How was it?

I’ll need to revisit a second time, but very on brand for Dickel.    More viscosity than the 15, solid Carmel and oak flavors for me.  I really enjoyed it and would buy another anytime…

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, steven s said:

cask strength is 46% abv?

I think Dickel must have some pretty cool and humid rickhouses.  Their 15 year single barrel releases are reportedly diluted only a minimal amount and some of those are bottled in the low 80s. 

• I like it 3

I opened this one on Christmas Eve but just getting around to posting it now.  

I like it quite a lot.  But I don't feel it's worth the msrp.  Then again very few $100 bottles are.  Still interesting as a novelty and I don't regret buying it.

20221230_211641.jpg

• I like it 4

Opened a pre-fire Elijah Craig 23 to celebrate New Year’s Eve and a friend’s senate confirmation. 

• I like it 4

On 12/28/2022 at 3:58 PM, fosmith said:

I think Dickel must have some pretty cool and humid rickhouses.  Their 15 year single barrel releases are reportedly diluted only a minimal amount and some of those are bottled in the low 80s. 

I was there last summer and they do indeed have some rickhouses in the "holler" as they say.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

NYE edition fresh crack.

20221231_170358.jpg

20221231_170430.jpg

Show Off!  I never see this in Indiana.  Look at that price!  😀

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Show Off!  I never see this in Indiana.  Look at that price!  😀

Well that was from 2018. Probably last one I saw in a store.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.