What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, after casually looking for this for a couple of years, I finally came across a W.B. Saffell, and at MSRP ($50/375ml).

I am really not what you would call a Turkey Head, but I do enjoy some of the output of that esteemed distillery.  (In particular, I have had several outstanding WTKS bottles in the past.)  But, I had read enough about this offering, including on SB, that I wanted to give it a go when I could.

As you may be able to see from the pic below, this whiskey has a great color, very inviting.  The first smell from the glass revealed a beautiful, rich nose.  It was sweeter smelling than I had expected, with a touch of alcohol in the background.  The first impression from the initial tasting was of a very nice mouthfeel; quite round and pleasing.  The taste revealed a lot more spice to me than the smell had suggested, with less sweetness, also.  A lot going on in this glass, for sure.  The finish on the first swallow was a tad rough, with noticeable wood, I thought.  But, subsequent sips seemed less bitter, with more of a soft spiciness.  I should note that this was my first whiskey pour of the evening, which likely affected my first impressions some.  I noted a decent warm "hug" in my chest after a few sips, a bit more than I expected from a 107 proofer.

So, I'm happy with this purchase, as satisfying my curiosity about whiskeys that are new to me is one of my favorite parts of this hobby.  Whether I will seek this out again is harder to say.  It's odd, but $50/375ml seems less difficult to justify than $100/750ml would have.  So, the QPR for this one is a little challenging for me to nail down.  Bottom line for me is that I feel it was a good purchase, and I look forward to working my way through the rest of the bottle in subsequent sessions.  Past experience leads me to believe that my appreciation of this whiskey will likely grow over time.

WBSaffell - Copy.jpg

• I like it 8

All the chatter inspired me to open the one and only JB distillers cut I found a few years ago. It's great, not KC 12 great, but i should have bought a case at the 17-19 retail price I saw it at. 

• I like it 5

31 minutes ago, flahute said:

Just cracked a 2021 WLW. This is good.

Congrats on landing one of those. Enjoy. 

I have missed out a WLW the last few years. I look forward to next season's  opportunities. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, flahute said:

interesting.

Ive heard the exact opposite from numerous sources.

But I seem to usually agree with your palate.

So, there’s hope… 🙏 

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I must confess that I didn’t come up with this one, but it does fit the situation. ”I would say shit, but I don’t cuss.” 😉

Very nice Steve. 👍 Tasting notes please. 

Biba! Joe

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

interesting.

Ive heard the exact opposite from numerous sources.

But I seem to usually agree with your palate.

So, there’s hope… 🙏 

I've been hearing that as well so I was nervous when I opened it. Very happy to find out that was not the case.

• I like it 4

On 1/14/2022 at 4:54 PM, Swamp55 said:

Well, after casually looking for this for a couple of years, I finally came across a W.B. Saffell, and at MSRP ($50/375ml).

I am really not what you would call a Turkey Head, but I do enjoy some of the output of that esteemed distillery.  (In particular, I have had several outstanding WTKS bottles in the past.)  But, I had read enough about this offering, including on SB, that I wanted to give it a go when I could.

As you may be able to see from the pic below, this whiskey has a great color, very inviting.  The first smell from the glass revealed a beautiful, rich nose.  It was sweeter smelling than I had expected, with a touch of alcohol in the background.  The first impression from the initial tasting was of a very nice mouthfeel; quite round and pleasing.  The taste revealed a lot more spice to me than the smell had suggested, with less sweetness, also.  A lot going on in this glass, for sure.  The finish on the first swallow was a tad rough, with noticeable wood, I thought.  But, subsequent sips seemed less bitter, with more of a soft spiciness.  I should note that this was my first whiskey pour of the evening, which likely affected my first impressions some.  I noted a decent warm "hug" in my chest after a few sips, a bit more than I expected from a 107 proofer.

So, I'm happy with this purchase, as satisfying my curiosity about whiskeys that are new to me is one of my favorite parts of this hobby.  Whether I will seek this out again is harder to say.  It's odd, but $50/375ml seems less difficult to justify than $100/750ml would have.  So, the QPR for this one is a little challenging for me to nail down.  Bottom line for me is that I feel it was a good purchase, and I look forward to working my way through the rest of the bottle in subsequent sessions.  Past experience leads me to believe that my appreciation of this whiskey will likely grow over time.

WBSaffell - Copy.jpg

Nice tasting notes, thanks for sharing your impressions.  I'm a fan of that one.

I also like that glass in the pic.

• I like it 1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:14 PM, steven s said:

All the chatter inspired me to open the one and only JB distillers cut I found a few years ago. It's great, not KC 12 great, but i should have bought a case at the 17-19 retail price I saw it at. 

Yes you should have.  I didn't buy a whole case but I did stock up, maybe 6 bottles. 

Keep on the lookout though, because it seems Beam is on the NCF train (see Old Tub, etc) and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't release something quite similar to Distiller's Cut again in the not so distant future.

Just opened a fresh bottle of JBDC out of the bunker.

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 5

Bought, opened, and am drinking a DN Reserve. I'll pick one of these up every once in a while when I find it for under $30. I like it.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, markandrex said:

Just opened a fresh bottle of JBDC out of the bunker.

trending. i'm enjoying my recently-opened one and only bottle of this. Delish! Wish I would have seen more...

• I like it 4

KC 9 yr today, crackling fire in the fireplace, lovely wife and two sleeping dogs nearby on the couch.  I guess winter in the Midwest has its moments, albeit few.

• I like it 8

Four Roses Single Barrel. I didn’t even bother to remove the bottle tag, it is cold out and I needed some fortification.

F790235C-0EE9-4F62-AEF3-C56F96FA81C6.jpeg

• I like it 8

1792 Full Proof SP.  It is the first 1792 I have had in years due to not liking the small batch.  But, I have to say this one is quite tasty.

• I like it 3

On 1/21/2022 at 10:37 PM, Radioyada said:

1792 Full Proof SP.  It is the first 1792 I have had in years due to not liking the small batch.  But, I have to say this one is quite tasty.

I've had some really nice SP of that one.  Also the "Single Barrel" version (with the beige neck band) and the Bonded (yellow band).  The High Rye is also great but hard to find.  12 Year is nice but polarizing to some.

• I like it 1

Been holding onto this one for quite awhile.  There was finally the perfect sliver of space to wedge it onto the “opens” shelf.  About damn time.  It’s pretty good!

45B14709-FE32-40D6-9A6E-81077C3F4658.jpeg

• I like it 6

On 1/26/2022 at 9:27 PM, 0895 said:

Been holding onto this one for quite awhile.  There was finally the perfect sliver of space to wedge it onto the “opens” shelf.  About damn time.  It’s pretty good!

45B14709-FE32-40D6-9A6E-81077C3F4658.jpeg

That's an old one!  I think the oldest one I have is a batch 8.  Or maybe 7, I forget.

I have really enjoyed my store pick barrel strength bottle so I decided to open both of these.  I purchased both of these before the company came out with their BiB version or I probably would have chosen that one.  I also have their 99 rye which is pretty good as I remember.

20220128_210511.jpg

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, steven s said:

1783. delicious. anything close at 17$ ? 

JW Dant bonded, but it is hard to find here.:o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.