What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

49 minutes ago, markandrex said:

This picture reminds me of the old game “booby trap” that I played as a child!

I think I played "bobby trap" with MY kids!   Boy, am I getting o;d - time to pour another GW4G before having dinner.   😋

Just got a text from daughter #2 after taking an 18hr direct flight (18 hrs, YIKES) from JFK to Singapore.  She just got on another flight (only 3 hrs) to her new property on Bali for an 11-day orientation tour.  Gotta' love high end resort porperties - she and hubby got to go to the Fairmont Bali on their nickel, and now she's at the Four Seasons Bali.  Geeze - I wish I had my kids' life . . . . .  nah, we're lovin' the extra time with the grandbabies.   🥰

• I like it 5

The disappointing news I saw on these pages today about this product just makes want to reach for the bottle. 

20220412_185540.jpg

• I like it 7

27 minutes ago, Kepler said:

The disappointing news I saw on these pages today about this product just makes want to reach for the bottle. 

20220412_185540.jpg

2002 Vintage.  Some of those early 2000s vintages were awesome.  What was the bottled age?

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

2002 Vintage.  Some of those early 2000s vintages were awesome.  What was the bottled age?

I have several 2002 and 2003.  Those are my favorites.  Better than 2004-06 and much better than anything more recent than 2006.  Some 2006 can be excellent too. I also have a 1999 that I haven't opened but have tried at a bar and it was great too.

I'm sure some of the veterans on here can share even better experiences with vintages going back farther.

20220412_185623.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 8

On 3/23/2022 at 10:10 PM, 0895 said:

FAE8A5B1-AE29-4EB5-9931-4E7F34FB8C7A.jpeg

Easy now!  I know you probably in a hurry but you don't want any to spill out of the glass. 

I must be quite the pervert.  I saw the plastic wrapper and I thought about the effort required to remove my girlfriend's bra in high school.  One I could do with my hand.  The other might require my teeth.  Of course, one is plastic.  The other was not. I am so so sorry.  I just couldn't resist.  Too much visual stimulation in this photo.  

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

Easy now!  I know you probably in a hurry but you don't want any to spill out of the glass. 

I must be quite the pervert.  I saw the plastic wrapper and I thought about the effort required to remove my girlfriend's bra in high school.  One I could do with my hand.  The other might require my teeth.  Of course, one is plastic.  The other was not. I am so so sorry.  I just couldn't resist.  Too much visual stimulation in this photo.  

LMAO 🤣🤣🤣

Just now, Kepler said:

I have several 2002 and 2003.  Those are my favorites.  Better than 2004-06 and much better than anything more recent than 2006.  Some 2006 can be excellent too. I also have a 1999 that I haven't opened but have tried at a bar and it was great too.

I'm sure some if the veterans on here can share even better experiences with vintages going back farther.

20220412_185623.jpg

Those were the days!  One of my favorites in the sub-90 proof range along with AAA10Yr and OC10.  @smokinjoe is right this bourbon was meant to be so much more than where it is now. Maybe switching to KY-only distribution will allow the stocks to replenish and HH will regroup on this offering.  Of course, if it does, a price increase would be expected.  I would gladly pay $40 for a 10-year version of quality HH, even at 86.6 proof.

• I like it 1

This forum topic always makes me laugh.  I always wonder if "what bottle did you open today?" is referring to a new bottle opened for the first time or the one that has been open but I open again for another pour.  If the former, nothing.  If the latter, OF100.  I know, I know.  My mind works in Mysterious Ways.  Yes, U2.  Yes, I am a fan.

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Those were the days!  One of my favorites in the sub-90 proof range along with AAA10Yr and OC10.  @smokinjoe is right this bourbon was meant to be so much more than where it is now. Maybe switching to KY-only distribution will allow the stocks to replenish and HH will regroup on this offering.  Of course, if it does, a price increase would be expected.  I would gladly pay $40 for a 10-year version of quality HH, even at 86.6 proof.

I would gladly pay $40 for a 10-year version of quality HH, even at 86.6 proof.

Me too!  Spot on.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I’ll try to find less arousing bottles to open in the future.

🤣

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm sure some of the veterans on here can share even better experiences with vintages going back farther.

20220412_185623.jpg

Agreed.

Back in the day, they had some great bottles.   IMHO, they've gone downhill ever since.  Not bad, but not great.

I have one from 2008 that I slapped one of those customized labels on  that they offer from time-to-to time .  I have it "displayed" for the label and I probably won't bother opening it.

I have one from 2013 that is nothing special.   

When I read the news that it would be a "KY only" offering, my reaction was "meh"

Now, if they tried to pull that nonsense with the 1783 or the BiB, I would be miffed. 

Edited by Skinsfan1311

These things are a tad pricey, but holy cow they do something right there in Hye.....Very dark and tons of flavor.  

IMG_4321.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG

• I like it 2

Opened up that MM cask strength. Much more oak on the finish than I was expecting from a makers product. Pretty tasty. CDF17768-9E73-4BD0-ADD8-1CB278421E8F.thumb.jpeg.bfcd3456e7a340e035b1fdccf9b38ce0.jpeg

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, steven s said:

Some NC abc stores getting these?

I’m sure but you can’t get in on the cool guy list unless you do untold things to or for a store mgr.  NC is state controlled liquor and is a BS system.   Very hard to find anything allocated without games.  This one came from Tennessee while i was traveling.

My first bottle of this ever. So far I'm liking it. A little thin from the other OF offerings I've had lately but those are all higher proof.

20220417_181547.jpg

• I like it 1

I’m a sucker for well aged bourbon.  Couldn’t find a thing about where they sourced this.    Bought it anyway cause curiosity got me.  Total waste of money. Retail was stupid on these.  I’d be shocked if there is much 15yr in here at all.  Not blended very well at all.  Can’t really find a direction in it.  No depth, no oak.  Just a mess in my opinion.  Save your money and walk away if you run into these.  

ED03A5EE-085C-444F-A22E-1762D4BF8938.jpeg

Edited by JT3NSB
  • I like it 1

10 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

I’m a sucker for well aged bourbon.  Couldn’t find a thing about where they sourced this.    Bought it anyway cause tater curiosity got me.  Total waste of money. Retail was stupid on these.  I’d be shocked if there is much 15yr in here at all.  Not blended very well at all.  Can’t really find a direction in it.  No depth, no oak.  Just a mess in my opinion.  Save your money and walk away if you run into these.  

11 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

I’m a sucker for well aged bourbon.  Couldn’t find a thing about where they sourced this.    Bought it anyway cause curiosity got me.  Total waste of money. Retail was stupid on these.  I’d be shocked if there is much 15yr in here at all.  Not blended very well at all.  Can’t really find a direction in it.  No depth, no oak.  Just a mess in my opinion.  Save your money and walk away if you run into these.  

Huh - by law, if it says "15 years", that's the youngest whiskey in the bottle, not the oldest, no?   😉

• I like it 2

Opened up a Stellum bourbon PS earlier this tonight. I like it.  I don’t have a standard offering of Stellum for a comparison. But if this bottle is an indicator of the brand, the future looks good. 

Cheers 

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Surely I'm not the first person to open a new bottle around here in nearly 2 weeks?  The "What bottle have you purchased" sure is always plenty busy enough.. Come on people open 'em up.

Elijah Craig single barrel pick from a local store cracked open today and I'm currently enjoying it immensely.

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Surely I'm not the first person to open a new bottle around here in nearly 2 weeks?  The "What bottle have you purchased" sure is always plenty busy enough.. Come on people open 'em up.

Elijah Craig single barrel pick from a local store cracked open today and I'm currently enjoying it immensely.

I think I speak for the rest of the Board..

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2979e5ef-6632-4d47-bfc6-75c07cbdc625

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.