Empty bottle(s) support group — 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, IamMatt said:

For the price(s), you might want to try the parallel Kirkland offerings.  Small Batch hit my Costco stores in SoCal recently for $19.  First time it was out I blinded it and it was pretty close to the 1792 branded version; I slightly preferred the 1792 but I would say some would prefer the 1792, some the Kirkland,  The latter had a slight smokey note that I didn't notice in the former.  When the Kirkland BIB came out I didn't have a 1792 BIB to blind with, but to me, but it was very close to the Very Old Barton 100 I blinded it with.  The 120 proof  SiB was VERY good.  The 1792 SIB I had was much lower proof so I didn't blind them, but I have twice blinded the Kirkland 1792 SiB with Smoke Wagon UCUF and an Old Ezra Distiller's Collection store pick and the Kirkland narrowly came out on top for me both times.  YMMV.

Yeah, I've been curious about the Kirkland offerings since I've heard good things about them.  But I hate shopping at Costco and I let my membership go years ago so I don't shop there anymore.  I know you can buy alcohol at Costco without a membership but it's still not worth the brain damage to me.  The once or twice I've checked out the liquor selection there I found it to be pretty boring and the prices not that much lower than, say, K&L or Safeway. 

6 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

I'm liking what you drank, not what you drank to!

I'm liking what you drank to AND what you drank. Go Sox and Go Cigar Blend (thanks, @Whiskey Bender)  😋

On 6/27/2022 at 6:24 AM, fosmith said:

You got Benchmark Full Proof in SoCal?  I thought it was only available in the mid west.  I haven't seen it here in the Bay Area...

There are a few local liquors stores that have the lineup.  One was bundling Top Floor, Bonded, Small Batch, and Full Proof for $80.  The one I went to had FP and SiB for $28 and Bonded and Top Floor for $19 IIRC.  I tried the Full Proof and it the neck pour was OK, but not nearly enough flavor depth for the proof.  Like if a good 125-128-proof ECBP was 8 out of 10 on proof and 8 out of 10 on flavor, this was 8 out of 10 on proof but 4 or 5 out of 10 on flavor.  I'm going to let it sit for a few weeks to see how it opens up. 

On 6/27/2022 at 6:24 AM, fosmith said:

You got Benchmark Full Proof in SoCal?  I thought it was only available in the mid west.  I haven't seen it here in the Bay Area...

There are a few local liquors stores that have the lineup.  One was bundling Top Floor, Bonded, Small Batch, and Full Proof for $80.  The one I went to had FP and SiB for $28 and Bonded and Top Floor for $19 IIRC.  I tried the Full Proof and it the neck pour was OK, but not nearly enough flavor depth for the proof.  Like if a good 125-128-proof ECBP was 8 out of 10 on proof and 8 out of 10 on flavor, this was 8 out of 10 on proof but 4 or 5 out of 10 on flavor.  I'm going to let it sit for a few weeks to see how it opens up. 

Looks like markandrex and I are in the same boat.  Drinking the last of this one today. Waiting for VI to get released (or escape!)

Remus Empty.gif

• I like it 3

I'm reaching out to you guys because I need some serious support here.  I've nursed this gem since Dec. 2018 and drank the last oz. last night.  But what a stellar bourbon it was!  I'm really going to miss it..

It also had a bit of sentimental value to me given the way it fell into my hands.  Here's the story.  Back in Dec. 2018, my wife was heading out to Lunardi's (a small, high end grocery chain) in a nearby town to get some Cotichino sausages for a Christmas eve dinner.  She's Italian, and Cotichino sausage was a traditional holiday dinner in her family when she was growing up.  But I digress..

Back then, Lunardi's would occasionally have Stagg Jr. on the shelf for $10 over msrp, which is not bad.  The fall/winter batch had recently dropped in my area, so I asked her to check if they had any and, if so, pick up one or two.  About half an hour later my phone rang and it was my wife asking in an uncertain voice, "They have George T. Stagg. Is that what you wanted?"  I almost dropped the phone, as I'd never seen GTS on the shelf, much less at a supermarket.  I asked how much and she said, "$250".  I swallowed hard and said "Yeah, get it!"  I'd never paid that much for a bottle of anything before (and haven't since) but it was a bucket list item and you only live once.  I'm glad I did because I've gotten more than $250 worth of pleasure savoring it on special occasions and sharing it with my wife and son. 

GTS 18 empty.jpg

• I like it 15

17 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I'm reaching out to you guys because I need some serious support here.  I've nursed this gem since Dec. 2018 and drank the last oz. last night.  But what a stellar bourbon it was!  I'm really going to miss it..

It also had a bit of sentimental value to me given the way it fell into my hands.  Here's the story.  Back in Dec. 2018, my wife was heading out to Lunardi's (a small, high end grocery chain) in a nearby town to get some Cotichino sausages for a Christmas eve dinner.  She's Italian, and Cotichino sausage was a traditional holiday dinner in her family when she was growing up.  But I digress..

Back then, Lunardi's would occasionally have Stagg Jr. on the shelf for $10 over msrp, which is not bad.  The fall/winter batch had recently dropped in my area, so I asked her to check if they had any and, if so, pick up one or two.  About half an hour later my phone rang and it was my wife asking in an uncertain voice, "They have George T. Stagg. Is that what you wanted?"  I almost dropped the phone, as I'd never seen GTS on the shelf, much less at a supermarket.  I asked how much and she said, "$250".  I swallowed hard and said "Yeah, get it!"  I'd never paid that much for a bottle of anything before (and haven't since) but it was a bucket list item and you only live once.  I'm glad I did because I've gotten more than $250 worth of pleasure savoring it on special occasions and sharing it with my wife and son. 

GTS 18 empty.jpg

Nice story, and you did beyond well!  $250, though above MSRP, is a really good price for the KING of bourbons.  Besides, it sounds like you got even more for your money with sipping it with your loved ones.  WINNER!  👍🏻

• I like it 1

Savoring the last of this bottle.  Wish me luck on getting a pour out of SWMBO's own bottle of BG. 🤣

20220703_210618.jpg

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, fosmith said:

That's a great story, Fred, and it illustrates that it's not about just drinking whiskey, but the stories and memories wrapped around it, and the people we share it with.  Cheers, my friend.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, fosmith said:

GTS 18 empty.jpg

Love this story so much! I just opened a bottle of the '18 GTS and I know how much pleasure I'm going to get from it.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, hughewil said:

man down, this was a good one.

emptyweller.jpg.bc8121f9e96d2321c469572eec08c10a.jpg

Now that's a realistic bucket list bourbon for me.  Might have to finally bite the bullet and pay secondary, or find a reason to visit Ohio.

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, Cibsie said:

Now that's a realistic bucket list bourbon for me.  Might have to finally bite the bullet and pay secondary, or find a reason to visit Ohio.

ab out every 3rd week  they come in the shipments here.

• I like it 1

Killed this off last night.  I'm really glad it's still widely available around here.

Image.thumb.jpeg.09da9673ab3ea014e22f946b75050595.jpeg

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, hughewil said:

man down, this was a good one.

emptyweller.jpg.bc8121f9e96d2321c469572eec08c10a.jpg

Are you posting these pics from Tattletales?  🤣🤣

• I like it 2

28 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Hey!  If it's good enough for Motley Crue then it's good enough for hugh..ewil.

See what I did there.  :)

Finished off a Rebecca Creek 12 yr and a Minor Case Rye last night. 

• I like it 1

On 7/8/2022 at 9:02 AM, smokinjoe said:

Hell that would be more fun.

You see the glow of my poker sign

bar2.jpg.f70b88d32908a5ba81b805ab78154650.jpg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, hughewil said:

Hell that would be more fun.

You see the glow of my poker sign

bar2.jpg.f70b88d32908a5ba81b805ab78154650.jpg

I like it.  Makes me want to play a round.  Maybe wage a bottle of whiskey.  Cheers to your cool bar.  🍻

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I like it.  Makes me want to play a round.  Maybe wage a bottle of whiskey.  Cheers to your cool bar.  🍻

My basement is my bar and poker room

IMG_4186.jpg.72fee4f88d36e477cd88a655305cd4d7.jpghsi4.jpg.d0ced7e289eb96b9a2fab1cb14750a8c.jpg

• I like it 6

22 minutes ago, hughewil said:

My basement is my bar and poker room

IMG_4186.jpg.72fee4f88d36e477cd88a655305cd4d7.jpghsi4.jpg.d0ced7e289eb96b9a2fab1cb14750a8c.jpg

Very nice setup you have there

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.