What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Maybe I don't know what the going rate of an Old Forester SBBP is because I never see them but I did see it for $165. I feel as if it's high but I don't know any better.

What say you?

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Maybe I don't know what the going rate of an Old Forester SBBP is because I never see them but I did see it for $165. I feel as if it's high but I don't know any better.

What say you?

I've got a bottle and I don't remember the price, but it sure wasn't $165, or I wouldn't have a bottle of it.

• I like it 3

25 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I've got a bottle and I don't remember the price, but it sure wasn't $165, or I wouldn't have a bottle of it.

I figured it was overpriced. Just trying to gauge the amount over. I find myself being extremely curious to see what bourbons go for in other markets.

Just curious, after trying your own bottle, what WOULD you be willing to pay for another one? How much would you be willing to pay for a different one?

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

I figured it was overpriced. Just trying to gauge the amount over. I find myself being extremely curious to see what bourbons go for in other markets.

Just curious, after trying your own bottle, what WOULD you be willing to pay for another one? How much would you be willing to pay for a different one?

Mine is from Summer 2020, and weighs in at 129 proof, but is not hot at all, just a lot of flavor.  I wouldn't have any problem paying in the $50 - $60 range, if I could guarantee the next bottle is as good as this one.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

What say you?

Not sure what the price might be in my area because sadly, I’ve never seen one in the wild. A year or so ago, one store near me did do a 90 proof OFSB private pick that was quite good. They were reasonably priced at $34.99. Needless to say, I bought a few. :huh: 

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 4

39 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Not sure what the price might be in my area because sadly, I’ve never seen one in the wild. A year or so ago, one store near me did do a 90 proof OFSB private pick that was quite good. They were reasonably priced at $34.99. Needless to say, I bought a few. :huh: 

Biba! Joe 

Private picks at reasonable prices used to be one of the best kept secrets in Bourbondom.  Sadly, now private picks are often at a premium to standard fare.  SBBP are almost unicorn in my area.  I occasionally see where someone bought one but I have NEVER seen one on the shelf.  Actually, I haven't seen a 90 proof OFSB pick on the shelf in several years.  No worries.  I am good as long as I see OF100 on the shelf for $18 which is often.

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, fosmith said:

Could they have perhaps mixed it up with the Rare Breed rye which is about that price? 

That crossed my mind as well, if they sit there long enough perhaps they will figure it out, but in this market, who knows...

On 3/4/2022 at 11:49 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Even on sale, PASS!

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

Question:  What does that even mean?  I see these bottles all the time in a bazillion permutations.  Just regular Woodford but a picked & (at least theoretically) yummier sample?  Or just regular Woodford with a label slapped on along with a hefty markup for the privilege of seeing said label?  How to know if it's any good?  

Here's a picture of a local offering (I'd note that bourbon is usually expensive here due to insane local regulation, costs of importing, and comparatively small market).  Given the price that you turned down, I suspect that the Enoteca is a triple-turn-down at $68 + 11% sales tax.  But just curious as to how to know when store picks are worth it.

Entoteco Woodford Store Pick.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Question:  What does that even mean?  I see these bottles all the time in a bazillion permutations.  Just regular Woodford but a picked & (at least theoretically) yummier sample?  Or just regular Woodford with a label slapped on along with a hefty markup for the privilege of seeing said label?  How to know if it's any good?  

Here's a picture of a local offering (I'd note that bourbon is usually expensive here due to insane local regulation, costs of importing, and comparatively small market).  Given the price that you turned down, I suspect that the Enoteca is a triple-turn-down at $68 + 11% sales tax.  But just curious as to how to know when store picks are worth it.

My pic was taken at a local Meijer. I’m guessing the WR by the Illinois Team was a private pic done by Meijer for its stores in Illinois. It might be a little better than regular WR, but probably only marginally so at best. The other bottle is a WR Kentucky Derby bottle. Yearly release of regular WR with a fancy label. I didn’t even look at the date on that one, but I’d guess it was last years derby bottle.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My pic was taken at a local Meijer. I’m guessing the WR by the Illinois Team was a private pic done by Meijer for its stores in Illinois. It might be a little better than regular WR, but probably only marginally so at best. The other bottle is a WR Kentucky Derby bottle. Yearly release of regular WR with a fancy label. I didn’t even look at the date on that one, but I’d guess it was last years derby bottle.

Biba! Joe

Thanks for the reply. 

So, at least with regular Woodford, "pretty bottle" plus "it puts the lotion on its skin and it pays lots more" with maybe, perhaps, sometimes a marginal improvement in quality.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Thanks for the reply. 

So, at least with regular Woodford, "pretty bottle" plus "it puts the lotion on its skin and it pays lots more" with maybe, perhaps, sometimes a marginal improvement in quality.

Maker's does the same thing with colors of wax to match various sports teams, particularly NCAA basketball.  I've seen a Christmas label too.  It's all the standard version of MM inside the bottle.  I don't think the price was different.

Edited by PaulO
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Entoteco Woodford Store Pick.jpeg

So Woodford does 2 barrel blends, as opposed to the single barrel.   I do find them different, and better - as the base product is very consistent blended in very large batches to the same profile each time.   

Now as to who is picking and what they like - could be a pallet match or mis-match - that's the the tough part.

9 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Thanks for the reply. 

The store pick regular Woodfords are often One Liter size bottles, btw.  So the price increase is often on par.

As mentioned, they are picked blends by the store.  Woodford usually sends the store 3 different samples to choose from.  
Ultimately the goal is to have them taste different than regular Woodford.

Some are very good.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

On 3/23/2022 at 4:30 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Ended up returning the EC18, too much for too little.

I have seen it around  but also have read too many "way too high priced for the quality"  reviews for me to pull the trigger.  Guess  I am too easily influenced by the crowd....

• I like it 1

On 3/23/2022 at 3:30 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Ended up returning the EC18, too much for too little.

I only had 1 EC18 and it was truly only reguler EC nas with triple oak; nothing more.  I have sworn it off as one of the worst $100 dollar bottles I have ever purchased. ($109 to be exact)

On 3/23/2022 at 9:38 PM, 0895 said:

The store pick regular Woodfords are often One Liter size bottles, btw.  So the price increase is often on par.

As mentioned, they are picked blends by the store.  Woodford usually sends the store 3 different samples to choose from.  
Ultimately the goal is to have them taste different than regular Woodford.

Some are very good.

Got a Total Wine store pick of WR from a Dallas store. Had my SIL scoop a second one later. It was better than the shelf & if you like WR at all, then quite worth it. Difference may be that I got to taste it first; a nice venture...

• I like it 4

Passed on a bunch of stuff in Destin Florida last week while on vacation.  Everything is less expensive at home as expected. 

One particularly noteworthy pass, this David Nicholson Reserve, first time I've seen what I can only assume is the new bottle type for DN.  The gooseneck is much shorter and the wide bottom section is taller.  It's also ten bucks more expensive than back home in Texas.  Not sure if that's due to location or the new bottling (?)

Resized_20220322_150438.jpeg

• I like it 3

Blanton's for $199, CEHT Single Barrel (NOT barrel proof!) for $329, and THH for $1199.

Woof.

• I like it 3

23 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Blanton's for $199, CEHT Single Barrel (NOT barrel proof!) for $329, and THH for $1199.

Woof.

Geez @Clueby, did you sneak up this way and visit a store in a small town near me ?  :unsure:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Woof.

you didn't get two of each??  whats'a matta wid ya?

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Geez @Clueby, did you sneak up this way and visit a store in a small town near me ?  :unsure:

Biba! Joe

Nah, he was probably still in Illinois (but still near The Lou!).  🥵

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Nah, he was probably still in Illinois (but still near The Lou!).  🥵

@fishnbowljoeYep, @GeeTen is correct. In Illinois but just across the river from STL.  Prices aren't any better on this side of the river either. Illinois just has different choices to gouge for.

21 minutes ago, Clueby said:

@fishnbowljoeYep, @GeeTen is correct. In Illinois but just across the river from STL.  Prices aren't any better on this side of the river either. Illinois just has different choices to gouge for.

Collinsville or Fairview Heights? 😑

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Collinsville or Fairview Heights? 😑

That particular gouge store was in FH. It was not the place that held the tasting or the decent place in CV.

Funny, though that the gouge store actually had a better price on OE7 than the others. I did not reward their bad behavior,  however.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.