What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:51 PM, Kepler said:

Passed on a bunch of stuff in Destin Florida last week while on vacation.  Everything is less expensive at home as expected. 

One particularly noteworthy pass, this David Nicholson Reserve, first time I've seen what I can only assume is the new bottle type for DN.  The gooseneck is much shorter and the wide bottom section is taller.  It's also ten bucks more expensive than back home in Texas.  Not sure if that's due to location or the new bottling (?)

Resized_20220322_150438.jpeg

Price is pretty steep for the 15yr Calumet Farms to its left, too.  And I, too, found the 14yr better than the 15yr.  😅

• I like it 3

Sweetens Cove Kennessee.  116.7 proof.  $60.  Don't know much about it.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

high proof. must be good.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Is that a vat of different aged Dickel barrels.

I saw this online, but now available in Indy -

McFarlane 12 year old Bourbon (unknown source) finished in Cab wine barrels $90

No thank you, not much of a "finished" fan, and certainly not Cab.

I think I'll spend $90 on four or five bottles of Bourbon I know are good instead. 

• I like it 3

On 3/31/2022 at 10:43 PM, Clueby said:

Blanton's for $199, CEHT Single Barrel (NOT barrel proof!) for $329, and THH for $1199.

Woof.

So the Blanton's for $100 that I passed on was a comparative bargain.  Note I said comparative!

• I like it 3

Passed on a Bowman single barrel for $107. Asked what the price on EC18 was but since it wasn't in the computer he couldn't sell it. I have a feeling it would have been $300+.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

I saw this online, but now available in Indy -

McFarlane 12 year old Bourbon (unknown source) finished in Cab wine barrels $90

No thank you, not much of a "finished" fan, and certainly not Cab.

I think I'll spend $90 on four or five bottles of Bourbon I know are good instead. 

I was gifted one of those from the SIL. It's actually kinda tasty. He grabbed it in TW Dallas. He was told it was MPG juice but I can find no stamp on the bottle saying so. It was bottled in Danville, KY by IJW. I'm down to 1/3 left since Christmas, so I have enjoyed a pour or two. The 12 year makes it pretty decent, but drinks slightly hotter than a typical 90 proofer.

Would I spend a $100 to replace it? - No...

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

Is that a vat of different aged Dickel barrels.

Here is picture.  It appears to be a blend of KY and TN bourbon whiskeys.  The higher end version which sells for $200 states that it is a blend of straight TN bourbon whiskey, aged 4, 6 and 16 years.

Too many quality bourbons available to take a chance on who knows what from who knows where for $60.  

Sweetens Cove.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Too many quality bourbons available to take a chance on who knows what from who knows where for $60.

If it helps, Sweetens Cove is Peyton Manning's new brand; he's jumping on the celebrity bourbon band wagon...

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Here is picture.  It appears to be a blend of KY and TN bourbon whiskeys.  The higher end version which sells for $200 states that it is a blend of straight TN bourbon whiskey, aged 4, 6 and 16 years.

Sweetens Cove.jpg

When you can get 15 year dickel for $60.  and a great 13 year dickel $40-45.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Sweetens Cove.jpg

I read a story about it on the Indystar website.

The plan is to have this available year round.  The $200 version they want to treat like an LE, as far as marketing.

The Kennesee is a blend of KY and TN sourced whiskies, finished with sugar maple staves. 😐

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

If it helps, Sweetens Cove is Peyton Manning's new brand; he's jumping on the celebrity bourbon band wagon...

Who?  😊

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Who?  😊

The quarterback who's ass got beat by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

• I like it 2

Stopped in at an out of the way LS. They had 2 older bottles of Belle Meade Reserve, both were 113.6 proof. Asking $99. Hard to pass knowing how good these older batches are.

• I like it 1

On 4/4/2022 at 10:59 PM, flahute said:

The quarterback who's ass got beat by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

Oh, I forgot the Seahawks actually beat "somebody" in the Super Bowl . . . . . . J/K.   🤣

13 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Stopped in at an out of the way LS. They had 2 older bottles of Belle Meade Reserve, both were 113.6 proof. Asking $99. Hard to pass knowing how good these older batches are.

Tough call at the price,  but I have to admit I probably would have snagged one of 'em.   

• I like it 2

On 4/4/2022 at 12:53 PM, B.B. Babington said:

When you can get 15 year dickel for $60.  and a great 13 year dickel $40-45.

Or zero Dickel for $0 🤣

Personally I’m not so much a fan of the mineral notes in Dickel.  

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Or zero Dickel for $0 🤣

Me neither but those 15 yr Dickel cask strength single barrels can really be an eye opener.  I've been really impressed with the couple of bottles that I've had.  And, at $55, you can't beat the value. 

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Tough call at the price,  but I have to admit I probably would have snagged one of 'em.   

I'd have bitten the bullet and bought one.  

15 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Or zero Dickel for $0 🤣

14 hours ago, fosmith said:

Me neither but those 15 yr Dickel cask strength single barrels can really be an eye opener.  I've been really impressed with the couple of bottles that I've had.  And, at $55, you can't beat the value. 

I rarely (read "almost never")  reach for a Dickel based whiskey as my first choice or first pour unless it's blended heavily with other non-Dickel whiskies (many Barrell Bourbon batches can be really excellent). 

BUT there are times when my palate only works with Dickel whiskey.  It has a place, at least in my personal experience, ... don't dismiss it entirely... just saying. 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 2

On 4/5/2022 at 6:15 PM, JakeySnakes said:

15 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

10 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'd have bitten the bullet and bought one.  

Don't despair and don't panic.  MGP is not going anywhere.  No need to overpay.  It's ironic that these sat on the shelves at $50-60 for years quietly but now since they discontinued them people are willing to overpay.  Kudos to Jakey for staying strong.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Don't despair and don't panic.  MGP is not going anywhere.  No need to overpay.  It's ironic that these sat on the shelves at $50-60 for years quietly but now since they discontinued them people are willing to overpay.  Kudos to Jakey for staying strong.

That is sage advice.    Thanks!

• I like it 1

On 4/6/2022 at 9:13 AM, fosmith said:

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

I rarely (read "almost never")  reach for a Dickel based whiskey as my first choice or first pour unless it's blended heavily with other non-Dickel whiskies (many Barrell Bourbon batches can be really excellent). 

BUT there are times when my palate only works with Dickel whiskey.  It has a place, at least in my personal experience, ... don't dismiss it entirely... just saying. 🤷‍♂️

You both could very well be correct, but at this point it’s probably going to take someone pouring me a sample of a great SiB vs me taking any further shots on my own. 

as for best value that’s a very competitive price point. ECBP A122 and Stagg pick were both $60 yesterday and while not 15 years old I know I’ll enjoy them tremendously. 

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

You both could very well be correct, but at this point it’s probably going to take someone pouring me a sample of a great SiB vs me taking any further shots on my own. 

as for best value that’s a very competitive price point. ECBP A122 and Stagg pick were both $60 yesterday and while not 15 years old I know I’ll enjoy them tremendously. 

Yep.  Hard-to-find ECBP and Stagg Jr are a different animal altogether when it comes to value.   Although it seems like ECBP is going through some batch ups and downs the past year or so, year in and year out there aren't going to be many products that will hold up to comparison with  ECBP for value.  That's a tough bar to clear if that's your standard.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.