What Bourbon Did You Purchase (Spring 2022)

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thunderstorms, rain, and time to start mowing grass again - it's spring. 

Grocery store has the sale, so I decide pick up a few things.  I passed on OF 100 and MM, only because I still have a couple unopened left over from last time.  Today it was WT 101 and EW 1783.

Edited by PaulO
  • I like it 6

Wild Turkey Rare Breed was purchased today. I plan on taking it to my brother's house Sunday in hope that he will allow me to help him determine whether it is suitable for pairing with a traditional Easter ham. 

• I like it 6

18 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed was purchased today. I plan on taking it to my brother's house Sunday in hope that he will allow me to help him determine whether it is suitable for pairing with a traditional Easter ham. 

Sounds like a good plan @Thomm.  👍 Please let us know how things work out. 🙂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

OK now on current topic. Purchased first bottles of Old Tub, Ezra cask strength and four bottles of rye.

• I like it 1

On 4/16/2022 at 1:09 AM, Thomm said:

WTRB goes with everything.  Ham, turkey, beef, fish, sushi....it is the most versatile bourbon known to man.  More versatile than wine.

• I like it 7

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

WTRB goes with everything.  Ham, turkey, beef, fish, sushi....it is the most versatile bourbon known to man.  More versatile than wine.

Amen to that.

• I like it 2

I’d only ever purchased splits of 46, but this new bottle really turned me on today. So home it came. 

43449694-853A-4EF5-9282-CEC42407B424.jpeg

• I like it 4

Went nuts in Indiana.  Best prices I've seen anywhere.

Had some fun driving around with my brother in law, chatting, and looking.  Here's what I mean to post - unless you think it's TMI for the lurkers, in which case I'll edit as needed.

I like Indy.  Cheaper than Ohio in many cases, not more expensive for anything unallocated.

Went to a local grocer.  30% off on all alcohol (sale ended Saturday).  I have never, ever heard of such a thing.  The prices were sick.  Most started lower than Ohio.  And then 30% off of that.  Bought:

·        Whistlepig Rye 10y $57 (for family member)

·        Jefferson’s Ocean (2x) $42 each (I know, not straight.  But I really like it anyway, smooth and sweet)

·        Belle Meade $44 (Look forward to trying per some of your comments)

·        4R SiB $33 (Ditto)

·        Peerless Rye $72 (I really like this one)

I could tell that there was way more and that others beat me to a good bit.  No worries, I was happy with my find.

Then went to Total Wine and got rather lucky.  As we were walking in the clerk was laying out 3 bottles of EC BP ($70 each) and 2 bottles of KC15 ($86 each), 1 per customer.  Family member and I got one of each (for our respective collections) and someone snagged the 3rd EC BP a minute later.  Also picked up a Rabbit Hole Heigold (I’ve had this one before and liked it) for $46.

Snagged a bottle of New Riff SiB store pick at Vine & Table.  And a WT RB at a grocer for $59.  Not sure if that was a great price, but enough of you rave about it so I figured I’d give it a, umm, shot.

Thanks to those of you who PM’ed (you know who you are).  I hope to return the favor.

Gonna hit Costco Monday.  And then try and figure out how to get this all to PR since I already 12 bottles in the luggage from my Ohio buys.

Fun.  Now to the drinking of it with friends back in PR.

Indy.JPG

• I like it 10

The madness continued at Costco yesterday.

2 4R Small Batch, $26 each.

2 New Riff SiB $40 each

1 Bardstown $50

3 Angels Envy Rye, $82 each (usually $90 to $110 elsewhere)

Snuck in a bottle of Kirkland Single Malt 20y Scotch for $69.

I do so like Indy.

Costco.JPG

• I like it 9

13 hours ago, Anwalt said:

The madness continued at Costco yesterday.

2 4R Small Batch, $26 each.

2 New Riff SiB $40 each

1 Bardstown $50

3 Angels Envy Rye, $82 each (usually $90 to $110 elsewhere)

Snuck in a bottle of Kirkland Single Malt 20y Scotch for $69.

I do so like Indy.

Costco.JPG

I wondered why when I hit the local liquor stores all of their shelves were bare.  😀

Glad you did so well during your visit and it sounds like you are safely back home now!  I absolutely love the diversity of your selections.  Sure, we can all name our desert island bourbon, but drinking one bourbon makes Johnny a dull boy.  

Indy is actually a pretty good area for bourbon hunting.  LEs are scarce but there are plenty of options and prices are very competitive.  And, as you found out, when you find sales the prices can be spectacular. Great find on the ECBP.  Sometimes timing is everything.  Now, if we would just get a Binny's.

• I like it 3

Binny's would be great right off of I 69/SR 37 Greenwood - so many reasons.  Who do I tell to pitch idea. 🤔

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Binny's would be great right off of I 69/SR 37 Greenwood - so many reasons.  Who do I tell to pitch idea. 🤔

IMHO, a Binny’s would be better located off I 465 and Emerson Ave. 😉

Biba! Joe

Binny’s is good in theory, but bad in practice.  Chicagoland’s liquor offerings were much better before Binny’s ate all of the competition.  Be careful what you wish for! 

7 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Binny’s is good in theory, but bad in practice.  Chicagoland’s liquor offerings were much better before Binny’s ate all of the competition.  Be careful what you wish for! 

For years, our state government kept out of state owned liquor stores out.  TW finally won a court case, arguing interstate commerce clause was being violated.  Now we have a TW on Indy's North side.  I've heard (from a TW associate) the South side might get a TW too, but seen no real evidence to date.

I'd rather have one new Binny's than a second TW. 

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, PaulO said:

For years, our state government kept out of state owned liquor stores out.  TW finally won a court case, arguing interstate commerce clause was being violated.  Now we have a TW on Indy's North side.  I've heard (from a TW associate) the South side might get a TW too, but seen no real evidence to date.

I'd rather have one new Binny's than a second TW. 

Looks like the area around “The Grove” has a few more liquor stores than it used to. In my younger days, we sometimes used to go to Crown up on Raymond St. or what is now 21st Amendment over on Hannah, to avoid being recognized by someone that might rat us out to our parents. 🥸 I have stopped at the  Payless on Emerson a couple times on my way down to Bardstown before. One time I made a random stop at the A-One on Emerson, and was surprised. It used to be a Village Pantry that my mother used to work at part time. 😏

Biba! Joe

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I wondered why when I hit the local liquor stores all of their shelves were bare.  😀

Glad you did so well during your visit and it sounds like you are safely back home now!  I absolutely love the diversity of your selections.  Sure, we can all name our desert island bourbon, but drinking one bourbon makes Johnny a dull boy.  

Indy is actually a pretty good area for bourbon hunting.  LEs are scarce but there are plenty of options and prices are very competitive.  And, as you found out, when you find sales the prices can be spectacular. Great find on the ECBP.  Sometimes timing is everything.  Now, if we would just get a Binny's.

Thanks!  I have a good bit to try.  And thankfully friends who are willing to help.

Yup, Indy is my favorite place to shop (compared to OH, VA, PA, FL, and PR) so far.  Crazy prices.  And I will pursue the Meijer legends when I am there.

And as one poster recently opined - blind tasting will likely be humbling.

Edited by Anwalt

Looks like Wellers Special Reserve ($23) and Wellers Antique ($50) hit a lot of Ohio stores today.  The latter is at fewer stores than the former.  Family member/bird dog snagged the one below.  Looking for more.  Bet they disappear within a day.

Update:  Got two of them.  Lucky.  There have been lines everywhere.  Antique sold out already.  There are more deliveries over the next few days.

I feel like the Wicked Witch of the West dispatching the flying monkeys.  This mania has perhaps gotten a bit excessive.

Wellers 04 20 22.JPG

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 3

24 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Well, I don’t drink OF 1897 often, but I couldn’t pass this up. 
3CBE2BC1-F58F-4CE0-91BC-FCEC7D7D90DF.thumb.jpeg.8cbfdd49d5e975d18a58a3371fefbe30.jpeg

Looks like you got yourself a pretty good deal. Makes me wonder how long these Whiskey Row offerings are going to be around. Maybe I need a few backups. 

18 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Looks like you got yourself a pretty good deal. Makes me wonder how long these Whiskey Row offerings are going to be around. Maybe I need a few backups. 

One store reducing the price on one label is no reason to question the long term availability of the series.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

One store reducing the price on one label is no reason to question the long term availability of the series.  

Good to know. Perhaps that particular one wasn't selling well at that store. 

5 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Well, I don’t drink OF 1897 often, but I couldn’t pass this up. 
3CBE2BC1-F58F-4CE0-91BC-FCEC7D7D90DF.thumb.jpeg.8cbfdd49d5e975d18a58a3371fefbe30.jpeg

I would definitely be a buyer at that price! Normal price is too steep for me given the quality of OF100 and 1920.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.