What Bourbon Did You Purchase (Spring 2022)

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

18 minutes ago, flahute said:

I would definitely be a buyer at that price...

I like 1920, Should spend more time with the cousins.  I try to keep at least 1 of each on hand. Expect/hope series a fixture for long while.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Well, I don’t drink OF 1897 often, but I couldn’t pass this up. 
3CBE2BC1-F58F-4CE0-91BC-FCEC7D7D90DF.thumb.jpeg.8cbfdd49d5e975d18a58a3371fefbe30.jpeg

1897 has become my favorite OF offering.   Great price, great juice.

• I like it 2

More Ohio madness.  A family member (I gave them all a list) spotted two Joseph Magnus Cigar Blends in the wild at MSRP of $188 each.  That the "regular" JM was a gateway bourbon for me plus the comments on this site got me to add it to the list.  It's the spendiest bottle of anything I've ever bought.  Though it beats secondary market prices by a good bit.  

At some point I'm going to have to drink all of this.  At 4 oz a day, 3 days a week....it's gonna take a while.  Thank goodness for "helpful" friends on an island where the bourbon selection is rather limited.

I really look forward to trying this one.

IMG_1396.JPG

• I like it 13

12 hours ago, Anwalt said:

More Ohio madness.  A family member (I gave them all a list) spotted two Joseph Magnus Cigar Blends in the wild at MSRP of $188 each.  That the "regular" JM was a gateway bourbon for me plus the comments on this site got me to add it to the list.  It's the spendiest bottle of anything I've ever bought.  Though it beats secondary market prices by a good bit.  

At some point I'm going to have to drink all of this.  At 4 oz a day, 3 days a week....it's gonna take a while.  Thank goodness for "helpful" friends on an island where the bourbon selection is rather limited.

IMG_1396.JPG

I really love the JMCB that I have had.  Just a splendid whiskey with a lot of depth. Which batch number?  If you're a bit lucky and patient, a certain "WhiskeyBlender" lady on this site might even chime in at some point to provide a little bit of background about what went into the process of creating the liquid contained in your bottles.  

Enjoy your score!

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I really love the JMCB that I have had.  Just a splendid whiskey with a lot of depth. Which batch number?  If you're a bit lucky and patient, a certain "WhiskeyBlender" lady on this site might even chime in at some point to provide a little bit of background about what went into the process of creating the liquid contained in your bottles.  

Enjoy your score!

What @Kepler said. I haven’t purchased a bottle of the JMCB, but my nephew @Galvin0791 did, and he shared a nice sized sample with me. Nancy/ @WhiskeyBlender did a masterful job with this one. 😋

Biba! Joe

image.gif.80159efddb557e4d722837ea24e03706.gif

• I like it 6

17 hours ago, Kepler said:

Enjoy your score!

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

What @Kepler said. I haven’t purchased a bottle of the JMCB, but my nephew @Galvin0791 did, and he shared a nice sized sample with me. Nancy/ @WhiskeyBlender did a masterful job with this one. 😋

Biba! Joe

image.gif.80159efddb557e4d722837ea24e03706.gif

Thanks for the comments, I really do look forward to trying it.  I should have it in PR by early May.  I will inquire as to its provenance and post in the hope that the nice (anyone who makes something as good as the JMCB is reputed to be qualifies as "nice" in my book) WhiskeyBlender lady has a story - that simply has to add some bonus texture to an already Good Thing.  The discussion here that she chimed in on was the one that persuaded me to add it to my search list.

• I like it 3

Well, more Ohio Luck of the Irish.

A non-bourbon-drinking family member won the right to purchase a bottle of Heaven Hill 17 year for $275.  It will be in the store May 5.  That'll make it the spendiest bottle ever, surpassing the JMCB.  I imagine I'll wait until a special occasion to open it, preferably one that involves others who would properly enjoy it.

The bourbon household gods have smiled on me as of late, especially in their Midwestern environs.  And I am grateful.  

Ohio Lottery Image.png

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 3

On 4/21/2022 at 1:11 AM, flahute said:

I would definitely be a buyer at that price! Normal price is too steep for me given the quality of OF100 and 1920.

I think I would also take the dive for that price. Probably more due to FOMO than I care to admit.  It might be spectacular.  However, I have never had it due to the price and availability of OF100.  I am curious how it compares to OF100?  

On 4/21/2022 at 11:07 AM, Anwalt said:

IMG_1396.JPG

With all you have bought recently, you may need to reinforce the floor under your liquor cabinet.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Good day on the motorcycle 

87678C89-E7B8-4941-98D0-B969E17C9836.jpeg

DD9B2925-58E2-49CA-B6CE-092292DB4CE5.jpeg

Cool breeze in your hair, a nice ride, and great pickups.  I would change that from good to great day!

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

With all you have bought recently, you may need to reinforce the floor under your liquor cabinet.

It has been rather excessive.  A number of travelling friends offered to feed the vice.  They have been well & truly responsive and generous.  Still, I ramped it down a touch to "only a wee bottle or two".  Per person.

One is headed to DC, hence the virtual search there.  Several in Louisville, one in central Kentucky.  One in Detroit.  Another in NYC.  And I'll be headed to Nashville shortly.  Having fun with the search.  But I mean to ramp it down for a small spell after the Midwestern Lunacy.  No, really!

On the bright side, I gave a rum & (sweet highland, not so much Islay) scotch-drinking friend here in PR some of the AE rye.  Instant convert, that Latin sweet tooth went right at it.  Spreading the vice/love. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I think I would also take the dive for that price. Probably more due to FOMO than I care to admit.  It might be spectacular.  However, I have never had it due to the price and availability of OF100.  I am curious how it compares to OF100?  

Welp.........so far I can tell you that I like the OF86 and OF100 better than the 1897. Will keep testing.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I don't find much a difference myself, although I can't remember ever doing a side by side comparison.  I can't figure out the price disparity honestly, except the 1897 comes in a nicer bottle.

• I like it 1

On 4/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, JT3NSB said:

Good day on the motorcycle 

87678C89-E7B8-4941-98D0-B969E17C9836.jpeg

DD9B2925-58E2-49CA-B6CE-092292DB4CE5.jpeg

Impressed they all made it one piece unless the roads are remarkably smooth by you. 

• I like it 2

I picked up these 3 bottles during an event at Heaven Hill that was put on by the Bourbon Capital Guild.  I'm not sure that the Bartenders Handshake stuff is going to be to my liking as these premixed cocktails tend to be a bit too sweet.

recent pickups.jpg

• I like it 7

6 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

I picked up these 3 bottles during an event at Heaven Hill that was put on by the Bourbon Capital Guild.  I'm not sure that the Bartenders Handshake stuff is going to be to my liking as these premixed cocktails tend to be a bit too sweet.

recent pickups.jpg

I hear great things about the HH17 - congrats to both members that acquired recently.

• I like it 1

Willett Rye 4yo.  It's hard to come by here in Australia,... It's mostly stocked by independent stores, so I grab one whenever I happen to stumble across a bottle..  Not the best Rye I've had, but far from the worst.  

• I like it 7

Some solid staples from a new store’s grand opening.  The 4R will be consumed by my wife’s best friend.  They have Friday afternoon pool day and she is a huge 4R fan (normally with coke, what are you gonna do 🫣).

9FF85D3C-51D4-4D85-BDF6-29CCD5A588CC.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
Punctuation
  • I like it 4

12 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Some solid staples from a new store’s grand opening.  The 4R will be consumed by my wife’s best friend.  They have Friday afternoon pool day and she is a huge 4R fan (normally with coke, what are you gonna do 🫣).

Several of you have commented on that Bowman Bros.  I shall have to try it.  What is a typical price range for it?  Is it a sweeter one, or more tannic finish?

On 4/26/2022 at 6:24 PM, Anwalt said:

Several of you have commented on that Bowman Bros.  I shall have to try it.  What is a typical price range for it?  Is it a sweeter one, or more tannic finish?

Smith Bowman Distillery was purchased by the Sazerac Company, Inc. in 2003. Currently the company doesn't produce their own whiskey distillate and doesn't disclose who they source it from. It is believed the new mashbill they use originates from Buffalo Trace and is their #1 mashbill.

it retails for about $35 around here.  

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.