What Bourbon Are You Drinking Summer 2022?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was kinda bitc……uh, complaining about the above normal temps we’ve been having here in northern Illinois lately. It was pointed out to me by my wonderful wife that it is summer. 😬 Doh! On that note,  I figured I may as well start a Summer thread.

I’m having a couple of pours of MM 95.5 this evening. :blink: MM a couple of nights ago. MM 101 last night. A blend of the two tonight. Not quite as good as my Weller Blends, but still pretty darned good. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

I got ahold of some JW Dant for the first time in about two years or so.  It is everything I love about the semi-obscure bottom shelf.  It is what I like to drink when I play cards at the hunting shack.   It takes me to a place where conversation, jokes, and friendship are the most important things in the world.  I love the stuff.  

• I like it 3

Got a sample of WT MK1 from a buddy. Sipped on last night, first time trying. Picked up some coffee, expresso, mocha, tiramisu, brown sugar, caramel, and cherry notes.

• I like it 2

The new Benchmark line finally arrived in Calif. and I was able to get a bottle of the Bonded and the Top Floor.  The Full Proof and Single Barrel were already sold out at K&L.  Last night I had a couple of pours of the Bonded and it's not bad at all.  Some buttered popcorn. light fruit and brown sugar on the nose and nice sweet typical bourbon flavors on the palate.  It's a bit hot but that might be because it followed a pour of Ancient Age 80 proof out of the freezer.  First impression is that it's quite good for the price, $15.00.  I am a BT fan although I wouldn't say this has much resemblance to other BT products, IMO. 

Sitting on the deck with a cool northeast breeze following a hot muggy day in the middle of Indiana corn fields.  Hurt my knee running earlier in the week so my knee propped up and my glass has a fresh pour of FRSiB. 

This pour is from a warehouse that I don't recall having seen on a label before.  However,  as many bottles as I have had over the years,  I don't really know. 

I do know this. This pour is more floral than spicy and atypical for OBSV.  This bottle is better than the last which seemed better than the one before.  This has me thinking.  Not considering barrel influence and time in the barrel, are there "sweet spots" for warehouse location for Four Roses?  I have heard of such a thing with RR and other brands but don't recall anything concerning Four Roses warehouses.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

8 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

MM101 before dinner last night. I really like this.

GMTA

MM101 in a Beam glass....

20220701_203136.jpg

• I like it 4

45 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

GMTA

MM101 in a Beam glass....

20220701_203136.jpg

Now that is hefty pour! Rock on Summer!

I don't know when I last bought regular ol' MM. But this week I've been wondering how good it is given how much I enjoy MM101. Well, I'm thoroughly enjoying this, especially for $24. I may even have to find a spot for it in the freezer next to the handle of 4RYL.

1438B08D-F18A-422A-9727-7E6A35F36F36.jpeg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Now that is hefty pour! Rock on Summer!

It's  a small glass😉

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Sitting on the deck with a cool northeast breeze following a hot muggy day in the middle of Indiana corn fields.  Hurt my knee running earlier in the week so my knee propped up and my glass has a fresh pour of FRSiB. 

This pour is from a warehouse that I don't recall having seen on a label before.  However,  as many bottles as I have had over the years,  I don't really know. 

I do know this. This pour is more floral than spicy and atypical for OBSV.  This bottle is better than the last which seemed better than the one before.  This has me thinking.  Not considering barrel influence and time in the barrel, are there "sweet spots" for warehouse location for Four Roses?  I have heard of such a thing with RR and other brands but don't recall anything concerning Four Roses warehouses.

Aren't Four Roses warehouses all one level.   

55 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Aren't Four Roses warehouses all one level.   

Yes but believe it or not nerds have very strong opinions about which tier the barrel is on. (Hint: high tier leads to more evaporation and higher proof so you can guess which way the wind blows here).

There was also a time when warehouse ME was a thing. Jim Rutledge hated all that talk.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I don't know when I last bought regular ol' MM. But this week I've been wondering how good it is given how much I enjoy MM101. Well, I'm thoroughly enjoying this, especially for $24. I may even have to find a spot for it in the freezer next to the handle of 4RYL.

1438B08D-F18A-422A-9727-7E6A35F36F36.jpeg

I'm a fan of all things MM. The regular bottling of their brand is a very solid pour in my opinion. And their other iterations are a step up and excellent bourbons. The best thing is that I always know that I can find it.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 2

58 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I'm a fan of all things MM. The regular bottling of their brand is a very solid pour in my opinion. And their other iterations are a step up and excellent bourbons. The best thing is that I always know that I can find it.

Prost!!  Phil 

I 100% agree with everything you said. 

Now They just need to set some barrells away for an additional 4 years and give us a yearly limited edition 10 year 101 proof.

• I like it 6

On several posters advice enjoying Chattanooga Whiskey cask strenght bourbon. I cocnur that this is a greatpourand is far better than their initial ovverings. 

It seems like forever since I had seen OGD114 on the shelves, but saw and bought one today.  Drinking now over a cube, and while perhaps my soon to be expressed opinion is tainted with the passing of time since my last pour, it is magnificent.  😍

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, flahute said:

Yes but believe it or not nerds have very strong opinions about which tier the barrel is on. (Hint: high tier leads to more evaporation and higher proof so you can guess which way the wind blows here).

There was also a time when warehouse ME was a thing. Jim Rutledge hated all that talk.

I've heard that for the regular 100 proof 4R SiB, the bottom tier(s) is/are best because the barrel proof is closer to 100 so less dilution is required to reach the target 100 proof.  For the SiB BP releases, proof hounds will seek out the upper tier(s).  I think the highest is tier 6.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I've heard that for the regular 100 proof 4R SiB, the bottom tier(s) is/are best because the barrel proof is closer to 100 so less dilution is required to reach the target 100 proof.  For the SiB BP releases, proof hounds will seek out the upper tier(s).  I think the highest is tier 6.

Had never thought about that for the standard SiB but that makes sense. I believe tier 6 is the highest and that's what a lot of people chase.

• I like it 1

Hard to beat a good hotel pour

20220702_151143.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 14

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

20220702_151143.jpg

Stunningly beautiful!  👍🏻  

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

If you do not mind my asking, where is that?  What a spectacular view.  And I mean "besides the liquor-filled glass & waxy bottle".

10 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

If you do not mind my asking, where is that?  What a spectacular view.  And I mean "besides the liquor-filled glass & waxy bottle".

I'm in Lake Louise in Banff.  Alberta, Canada.  Even the photo doesn't do it justice.

• I like it 7

Faster Horses programmed me in an email, so...

Remus Repeal V - Excellent!!!

• I like it 2

Weller 12 at the SkyClub— this one came through security with me. The gratis Old Forester just wasn’t cutting it. 

FAAA5590-F603-41D2-AFCD-6B789DED46CE.thumb.jpeg.686bab57a831b50bd2d1f7913227e7b7.jpeg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

20220702_151143.jpg

image.gif.a3ff3c68474640e403fdc9fa4cf7d59d.gif

😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.