What Bourbon Are You Drinking Summer 2022?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Getting some much needed rain this evening.  Sitting inside sipping on a very nice WTRB.

• I like it 5

On 7/4/2022 at 7:06 PM, beasled said:

Happy 4th from the other side of the pond. Pouring a 2016 WTKS (warehouse O, rick no 2 for those that wonder).

This has a wonderful sweet maraschino cherry note to it. 

Cheers! 

20220704_235928.jpg

like kepler, I just saw this fantail, IMO much better than current.  better hide it or markandrex will come sniffing for sip or twelve

• I like it 5

Started the evening with Chattanooga BiB and the 111 Cask.  They were both pretty darn good.  But now on to bigger and better things...

• I like it 2

Steve's post around the 4th of July got me to thinking, ... I need more GTS in my life.

20220708_204720.thumb.jpg.6af3ae2ddc74fc2c9f33f3ebdd674921.jpg

• I like it 13

HH7 BiB. Looked in the bunker and saw a backup so i cracked this one.  The HH6 BiB was so much nicer if i recall, anyone share that opinion?

• I like it 6

It was a Booker's kinda night last night.

LB3 is a pretty fine pour.  This is roughly the order of preference as well with #1 on left.

The SFTB closed out the night. It was definitely a honey barrel. Wow!

20220708_205907.jpg

20220708_220912.jpg

• I like it 12

11 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

HH7 BiB. Looked in the bunker and saw a backup so i cracked this one.  The HH6 BiB was so much nicer if i recall, anyone share that opinion?

I do.  When HH6 BiB was discontinued, I was able to acquire a bottle through a trade.  It was never available here in Calif. and I really wanted to try it given all the good things I'd heard about it.  Then when HH7 arrived here I got a bottle and did a SBS with a friend.  We both preferred the 6yr.  That was the last bottle of the 7yr I bought or will buy especially since it's now $50+ here. 

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

like kepler, I just saw this fantail, IMO much better than current.  better hide it or markandrex will come sniffing for sip or twelve

Anyone making it this far for a sniff and/or sip is welcome to either, frankly. Cheers!

• I like it 4

Last night I had a couple of pours from my freezer bottle of OF 86. It still amazes me how thick and delicious this is. Thanks again to @smokinjoe , @flahute and others that recommended OF 86 as a freezer pour. I’m pretty sure that there will always be a bottle in my freezer from now on. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Anyone making it this far for a sniff and/or sip is welcome to either, frankly. Cheers!

Heehee!  Nice one!

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

LB3 is a pretty fine pour.  This is roughly the order of preference as well with #1 on left.

LB3 is fantastic! Layered and rich. Happy that I sought out a few extras. Sad that I didn’t get more. . . 

on topic enjoying some 4RYL out of a rocks glass after drinking over ice while grilling. Due to little league baseball this is our first time in Michigan for the summer. Ahhhhh

Moved on to this years MMPS that I just picked up. A SBS with last years barrel will happen in the future and I’m tipsy, on vacation high and super biased, but damn if this isn’t drinking spectacularly right out the gate.

66F6DBB3-6924-4637-A744-B06B46ECCC01.jpeg

• I like it 5

Tried out the newer 90 proof version of EW1783 and it was enjoyable. 

Decided to stay with HH but dial it up a couple of notches. 

ECBP b12 136.0 proof with a big clear cube.  'Cause it's 100 degrees out there today! 🔥

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Last night I had a couple of pours from my freezer bottle of OF 86. It still amazes me how thick and delicious this is. Thanks again to @smokinjoe , @flahute and others that recommended OF 86 as a freezer pour. I’m pretty sure that there will always be a bottle in my freezer from now on. 😋

Biba! Joe

I'll second that thanks, and it goes out to everyone on this forum who mentioned freezer pours at all.  On your advice, I recently began following this habit also. Half a bottle of Evan Williams BIB went in the left side of the Admiral. Cool and refreshing. Seems almost counter-intuitive for whiskey (well, the cool part, anyway).

I can see why OF 86 is your freezer bourbon of choice. At least by my estimation, this is such a good idea that one might want to indulge a bit more than usual. The lower proof might make that easier to do. 

• I like it 3

46 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Moved on to this years MMPS that I just picked up. A SBS with last years barrel will happen in the future and I’m tipsy, on vacation high and super biased, but damn if this isn’t drinking spectacularly right out the gate.

A SBS with the Pitter Patter @Bob_Loblaw ?  😯

Biba! Joe

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

20220708_205907.jpg

Great pours there.  So who was the perfectionist that opened the 3 wax top bottles on the right... and who was the slob who opened the 2 on the left?   😁

(FWIW, ... my open Booker's usually resemble the ones on the left)...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Great pours there.  So who was the perfectionist that opened the 3 wax top bottles on the right... and who was the slob who opened the 2 on the left?   😁

(FWIW, ... my open Booker's usually resemble the ones on the left)...

Slob = 

oDQw0D9f_400x400.jpg

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Slob = 

oDQw0D9f_400x400.jpg

Well that explains things. 😉

image.jpeg.2661c75dbd2a0b5b767918c043e06114.jpeg

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

20220708_205907.jpg

20220708_220912.jpg

LB3 is my favorite of the five bottles released so far!

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Tried out the newer 90 proof version of EW1783 and it was enjoyable. 

Decided to stay with HH but dial it up a couple of notches. 

ECBP b12 136.0 proof with a big clear cube.  'Cause it's 100 degrees out there today! 🔥

I've been culling bottles but, after reading so many great things about the latest 1783, (and seeing a 1.75l bottle on sale for $33.00), I broke down and bought one yesterday, and had a few pours.

I enjoyed it as well, a bit thin on the finish, but it's  solid and  great way to start the night. I'll buy more when this one is gone.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

Had a stop in from my eldest Brother yesterday & broke out the big guns:

started with a - Rebel 10

I knew this would be his fav as it's a wheated, desert bourbon and as a rookie would say "smooth"

Staying with the sweet, a - WRDO

rated ok but not the Reb

On to a - KC 12 

This was the first time he could gather notes of any kind on anything I ever served him (cinnamon & brown sugar)

An understanding of balanced to be had here

Told him this was the best bottle that I had - RR 13

He instantly recognized the rush of flavors

I knew this would be in the running for his fav - Remus Repeal V

and it did stand out for him not to mention, myself (close to the end of this bottle😢)

Finally an - ETL

a smooth ending as he would say.

Not large pours but effective just the same. Yep, he spent the night!!!

At this time, the filets, butternut squash & mini 'taters were coming off the grill.

• I like it 8

Found this guy while clearing a shelf of potential drain pour candidates — been hiding at least six years. Not too shabby. 

82069EFA-054A-448B-8D9F-DE2D41043AE4.thumb.jpeg.47a6a9074e10c25cbe63112b86bda57e.jpeg

• I like it 4

Just opened an Evan Williams 1783.   My wife and I both enjoy this one a lot.  Shifted towards it recently when Buffalo Trace became impossible to find around here.   Fills my 90 proof general all-purpose niche quite nicely.  

• I like it 4

Polishing off a bottle of the first edition of Still Austin's "Nancy's Pick's" Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon this evening. Barrel #2018-0605-11 comes in at a respectable 117.1 proof. I forced my hand on this one, and insisted that my personal picks are always from the oldest and best quality stock, and will never be younger than 4 years old, and in fact will continue to get older every year. By next spring, I expect to only pick from 5 year stock, then the next year 6, then 7, 8, and so on. All of the stock is matured in ISC 53 gls barrels, char #3, with a mash bill of 70% white corn, 25% rye, and 5% malted barley. In the meantime I continue to do all the blending for every Still Austin Bourbon or rye release, but this one is my baby. 

My apologies if I'm once again overstepping my boundaries in posting about this kind of thing. I'm not necessarily trying to promote a particular brand- just trying to show that there are some folks out there in the so-called "craft community" who are doing their best to produce Bourbon that tastes like "real" Bourbon, which is matured in good quality 53 gls cooperage, and who are continuing to age it for many years to come in healthy maturation conditions. We ain't perfect and will make some mistakes, as my southern Appalachian kinfolk would say, but we sure are tryin'! 

Cheers! 

Nancy 🥃🥃

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 16

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.