What Bourbon Are You Drinking Summer 2022?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Polishing off a bottle of the first edition of Still Austin's "Nancy's Pick's" Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon this evening. Barrel #2018-0605-11 comes in at a respectable 117.1 proof. I forced my hand on this one, and insisted that my personal picks are always from the oldest and best quality stock, and will never be younger than 4 years old, and in fact will continue to get older every year. By next spring, I expect to only pick from 5 year stock, then the next year 6, then 7, 8, and so on. All of the stock is matured in ISC 53 gls barrels, char #3, with a mash bill of 70% white corn, 25% rye, and 5% malted barley. In the meantime I continue to do all the blending for every Still Austin Bourbon or rye release, but this one is my baby. 

My apologies if I'm once again overstepping my boundaries in posting about this kind of thing. I'm not necessarily trying to promote a particular brand- just trying to show that there are some folks out there in the so-called "craft community" who are doing their best to produce Bourbon that tastes like "real" Bourbon, which is matured in good quality 53 gls cooperage, and who are continuing to age it for many years to come in healthy maturation conditions. We ain't perfect, as my southern Appalachian kinfolk would say, but we sure are tryin'! 

Cheers! 

Nancy 🥃🥃

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

You had us at "Nancy's Pick." But, I believe most of us would ask "where can we find this?" 

• I like it 6

8 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

You had us at "Nancy's Pick." But, I believe most of us would ask "where can we find this?" 

@mbroo5880i Argh argh argh.....here comes the hard part. At the moment, it can only be found at the distillery itself since it is just one barrel at a time. That said, I think I might have also found it on some sort of internet site too. Mind if I get back to you on that one for the alternative? 🥃😜

• I like it 5

31 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@mbroo5880i Argh argh argh.....here comes the hard part. At the moment, it can only be found at the distillery itself since it is just one barrel at a time. That said, I think I might have also found it on some sort of internet site too. Mind if I get back to you on that one for the alternative? 🥃😜

Hey guys, party at Nancy's to open a barrel... yea, and can always wish tooth fairy would bring couple lost ones back.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Old Forester 100 after babysitting all weekend. 

yikes!

I blended Belle Meade Reserve and BT about a week ago and let it sit. Result is a little sweet, but a smooth taste, with a nice finish.

18 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Found this guy while clearing a shelf of potential drain pour candidates — been hiding at least six years. Not too shabby. 

82069EFA-054A-448B-8D9F-DE2D41043AE4.thumb.jpeg.47a6a9074e10c25cbe63112b86bda57e.jpeg

Wow, it has to be 10 years since i've had any Old Pogue.  Is it still bottled?

On 7/10/2022 at 6:25 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Polishing off a bottle of the first edition of Still Austin's "Nancy's Pick's" Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon this evening. Barrel #2018-0605-11 comes in at a respectable 117.1 proof. I forced my hand on this one, and insisted that my personal picks are always from the oldest and best quality stock, and will never be younger than 4 years old, and in fact will continue to get older every year. By next spring, I expect to only pick from 5 year stock, then the next year 6, then 7, 8, and so on. All of the stock is matured in ISC 53 gls barrels, char #3, with a mash bill of 70% white corn, 25% rye, and 5% malted barley. In the meantime I continue to do all the blending for every Still Austin Bourbon or rye release, but this one is my baby. 

My apologies if I'm once again overstepping my boundaries in posting about this kind of thing. I'm not necessarily trying to promote a particular brand- just trying to show that there are some folks out there in the so-called "craft community" who are doing their best to produce Bourbon that tastes like "real" Bourbon, which is matured in good quality 53 gls cooperage, and who are continuing to age it for many years to come in healthy maturation conditions. We ain't perfect and will make some mistakes, as my southern Appalachian kinfolk would say, but we sure are tryin'! 

Cheers! 

Nancy 🥃🥃

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

You are trusted and respected here in great measure. Post away as I like to know what you are involved in so I recognize it if I see it.

• I like it 6

Two newest bottles. Little side by side tasting out in the yard. Nice weather as well. 

IMG_20220712_164105836_HDR.jpg

• I like it 3

On 7/10/2022 at 12:04 PM, bayouredd said:

Had a stop in from my eldest Brother yesterday & broke out the big guns:

started with a - Rebel 10

I knew this would be his fav as it's a wheated, desert bourbon and as a rookie would say "smooth"

and this quote, also from Bayouredd from elsewhere

"Opened up the Rebel 10 with no expectations, because I have the Freezer OF86 on standby...

Holy WTH Batman!!! I don't think that I have had a more desertier bourbon, ever than this!!!

Slight banana, bubble gum, plum & berries with a very surprising short side of medium finish. Zero burn, no rye, of course. I will try to get a second one but will pull it out for certain occasions. Almost too deserty... My Honey didn't even winch; tell-tale right there..."

This described exactly what I'm looking for.  Cannot wait to try it.

Any other bourbons that might match this profile?  Cause I'm still rookie enough to say "smooth" and chick enough to like it sweet & desserty.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

...  Cause I'm still rookie enough to say "smooth" and chick enough to like it sweet & desserty.  

I'm older, in my second childhood, so's I'm wid ya.  I use "smooth" like it's a scientific descriptor.

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

I'm older, in my second childhood, so's I'm wid ya.  I use "smooth" like it's a scientific descriptor.

Wifey says I never left the first childhood.  So I'm glad to have the company!

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Cause I'm still rookie enough to say "smooth" and chick enough to like it sweet & desserty.  

5 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Rookie or second childhood, for gosh sakes whatever you do, don’t ever call distillate “juice”.  🤯 Y’all might incur the wrath of the masses. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

26 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Rookie or second childhood, for gosh sakes whatever you do, don’t ever call distillate “juice”.

Hubby's Happy Hooch?  Maize Elixir?  Eau du Western Hillybilly?  My Precious?

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 1

So I had a long day. Stopped by the watering hole, and my fav bartender asked what I was having?

I said a Russel’s and added I wanted “A Frank Pour”

Good choice!!

25EBE0CA-CACB-4FBC-9F2A-C7658B0E8282.thumb.jpeg.020505d11a6a8fe0f2871bf61e8ac519.jpeg

• I like it 7

Found this glass at a thrift store yesterday. Only seems right to pour some BIB into it. Also grabbed the Jim Beam and Old Forester matching glasses with it.

IMG_3505.jpg

• I like it 10

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Rookie or second childhood, for gosh sakes whatever you do, don’t ever call distillate “juice”.  🤯 Y’all might incur the wrath of the masses. :lol:...

would Howler Head banana be the exception that makes the rule?  risking ridicule, I almost dropped 20 bills to see what it was.

8 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

would Howler Head banana be the exception that makes the rule?  risking ridicule, I almost dropped 20 bills to see what it was.

Take note that Howler Head is available in 50mL bottles— please don’t ask me how I know. 

• I like it 2

A couple of nice pours of Woodinville while watching the sunset on a mid summer's evening. It is surprisingly cool with a nice breeze after a hot summer day.

• I like it 2

Went to my American Legion Post tonight and met with a friend from our bourbon & cigar group. Nice evening on the patio. We enjoyed a couple of nice pours of BT. 🦬

BIba! Joe

• I like it 4

13 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Went to my American Legion Post tonight and met with a friend from our bourbon & cigar group. Nice evening on the patio. We enjoyed a couple of nice pours of BT. 🦬

BIba! Joe

Nothing like a nice summer evening and a pour or two of bourbon with friends.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.