What Bourbon Are You Drinking Summer 2022?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Hard to beat a good hotel pour

20220702_151143.jpg

So awesome on multiple levels.  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Weller 12 at the SkyClub— this one came through security with me. The gratis Old Forester just wasn’t cutting it. 

FAAA5590-F603-41D2-AFCD-6B789DED46CE.thumb.jpeg.686bab57a831b50bd2d1f7913227e7b7.jpeg

Sometimes a man needs to adjust his game plan!

• I like it 2

I’m having an old bourbon while watching an old movie. A tax stamped Old Fitz BIB is in the glass while watching McClintock for the thousandth time. Both are great! 🤠

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg.f9de92d1fc445c44e17f075c05ae58ff.jpeg

• I like it 9

WT 101 for me.  Neighbors finally finished with fireworks for the night.  Around here, 4th of July celebrations start early and last for weeks.  I swear some of these folks must be spending multiple hundreds of dollars on fireworks.

• I like it 3

In celebration of the start of summer (it comes late here) and the holiday weekend celebrating the birth of our great country, I decided it was time to open a new bottle of THE KING. A 2018 George T Stagg is tasting amazing tonight. Haven't had this in a long time. When there wasn't a GTS in 2021 and having recently finished my '19 and '20, I held off on opening a new one.

Good to be back in the groove. 

• I like it 13

1 hour ago, flahute said:

In celebration of the start of summer (it comes late here) and the holiday weekend celebrating the birth of our great country, I decided it was time to open a new bottle of THE KING. A 2018 George T Stagg is tasting amazing tonight. Haven't had this in a long time. When there wasn't a GTS in 2021 and having recently finished my '19 and '20, I held off on opening a new one.

Nicely Done. A tip of my hat sir.

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt

Enjoying WSR, such a pleasant dram, just what I need tonight. 

Cheers

• I like it 6

Crazy last few days. Rampant fireworks til late at night. A mix of run of the mill fire crackers and such along with commercial grade, window ratting big boomers. Long, long story that I won’t bore y’all with. I started last night with a couple of pours of my 2021 Weller Blend, then moved on to Weller FP. Only a little left of the FP, so my last pour was a blend of my Blend and Weller FP. :blink: Fireworks finally subsided around  2:30-3:00 this morning. 🎆🎇🧨

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

It rained a lot in San Juan today, making a usually very noisy place blessedly quiet.  Had some friends over.

-  KC9 WWW store pick

-  Joseph Magnus

-  Eagle Rare

-  Joseph Magnus Murray Hill Club.  First time trying this one.  It stole the show, and easily.  I will be getting more.  Glorious sweet finish.  Not quite syrupy, but still dense.  Some oak, but so much as to make it astringent.  Yum.

• I like it 8

Played in a 4th of July golf outing yesterday. While waiting for the prize money and skins, had a gernerous pour of MM on the rocks.

Caught a little buzz coming in from 5 hours in the sun. Won $50 as part of the 3rd place team.

• I like it 7

I just got back from a 4 day hike with some old friends in the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Dropped my pack in the laundry room (I’ll deal with that later), hit a shower and now it’s time for a JBDC and put my feet up.

• I like it 7

14 hours ago, flahute said:

I've always felt the 2018 was one of the better releases "lately".  I know it (and the '19) get dogged due to being lower proof, but something something ain't nothing but a number.

Also, I love me some GTS, but "THE KING" is King of Kentucky.  Just wipes the floor with GTS every time for me.

Hair splitting to the extreme.  :)

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Good for you!  To the King!  👑🥃

A little bit of day drinking with some regular Maker's, killing time in the hotel room while waiting to go down to attend the wedding of one of Mrs. Kepler's best gf's.   

Flipping channels between baseball (Blue Jays vs TB Rays) and some IMSA endurance auto racing.  Because that's about all the sports I can get up here in CA!  🇨🇦 😀

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 4

Waiting for my rack of "Last Meal Ribs" to finish up SO I pulled out my OWA bottle containing my SB blend and am watching my ThermoPro temp gauge to be sure the kettle temp stays around 230F.  Just another half hour to glazing time.  Why staring at a thermo that has an alarm if the temp waivers?  Is better than spending three plus hours watching the Nats LOSE to the Marlins.  Which I also did today.

• I like it 6

More JM Murray Hill while watching The Terminal List on Amazon.  Veddy, veddy niiiccce.

• I like it 4

Buffalo Trace on my new clear cubes.  Along with a killer brisket, I am giddier than a school kid with my accomplishments, today!  🤣

8BE50BFB-1596-49E9-A29D-7B7E7319B8E6.jpeg

273D32DB-1344-42FE-881C-D0BCEB07A736.jpeg

• I like it 10

21 hours ago, PaulO said:

WT 101 for me.  Neighbors finally finished with fireworks for the night.  Around here, 4th of July celebrations start early and last for weeks.  I swear some of these folks must be spending multiple hundreds of dollars on fireworks.

Same here.  Even though my dogs go crazy as they are afraid of loud noises, I am ok with however people choose to celebrate unless they are shooting guns in the air.

• I like it 2

After a nice early evening 9 holes, I cooled off with a solid FRYL pour out the freezer on the patio while my 2 1/2 yr son played in the yard. Followed up  with a MM101 over a cube after dinner (sausage and peppers on the Weber). Now back to a follow-up freezer pour nightcap while watching a Rockford Files.

• I like it 6

21 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

After a nice early evening 9 holes, I cooled off with a solid FRYL pour out the freezer on the patio while my 2 1/2 yr son played in the yard. Followed up  with a MM101 over a cube after dinner (sausage and peppers on the Weber). Now back to a follow-up freezer pour nightcap while watching a Rockford Files.

Jim Rockford.  Maybe, the coolest character in TV history!  👍🏻

1DF790F6-5E85-4CF7-9817-5672E87B11D0.jpeg

• I like it 7

Finally opened my next-to-last EC12, to commemorate our nation's 246 birthday. Happy 4th to everyone!

Pat

20220703_210241.jpg

• I like it 13

Happy 4th from the other side of the pond. Pouring a 2016 WTKS (warehouse O, rick no 2 for those that wonder).

This has a wonderful sweet maraschino cherry note to it. 

Cheers! 

20220704_235928.jpg

• I like it 10

On 7/2/2022 at 1:57 PM, fosmith said:

I've heard that for the regular 100 proof 4R SiB, the bottom tier(s) is/are best because the barrel proof is closer to 100 so less dilution is required to reach the target 100 proof.  For the SiB BP releases, proof hounds will seek out the upper tier(s).  I think the highest is tier 6.

On 7/2/2022 at 12:31 AM, flahute said:

Yes but believe it or not nerds have very strong opinions about which tier the barrel is on. (Hint: high tier leads to more evaporation and higher proof so you can guess which way the wind blows here).

There was also a time when warehouse ME was a thing. Jim Rutledge hated all that talk.

Believe or not, I am a really cool nerd. 😀  I do recall the ME thing.  Not sure where I heard or read about it.  What @fosmith said makes a lot of sense so I looked up the location of recent SiB bottles to the best of my recollection, as I no longer track specific bottles any more.  The current bottle which I really enjoy is bottle GE, 25-2 O. Based on the rick house and barrel information, this barrel was aged in rick house G on the east side in on level 2 (out of 6) of rick 25 in the 15th position.  Having never been to Four Roses, I don't really know what rick 25 in the 15th position means.  However, it appears this bottle was aged on the lower level of the rick house and on the east side.  I know the previous bottle, which I also enjoyed, was HE, x-2.  So, it was also level two on the east side of the rick house.  I also know the previous bottle was also HE, x-4.  So, east side of the rick house but at a higher level.  Oh who am I kidding, I probably enjoyed this bottle as well. I told you I am a nerd.  So, if I follow what @fosmith is saying which I do, bottles aged lower on the rack and on the east side of the rick house are more to my liking.  Lots of BS information, but I will test this hypothesis by looking for these bottles to test the theory which will probably hold true until I find a bottle from another side of a rick house aged at a higher level.  😄

To nerd out more, I recall Freddie Johnson saying something similar about BT.  People seem to have a preference for bottles depending on the side of the rick house and rack tier it was aged at.  I know John Little also said that Smooth Ambler found some stellar barrels aged in the lower tiers of rick houses at MGP.  Less dilution seems to be the key.  I remember having a SAOS that was bottled at cask strength at 98.6 proof.  That seemed like the perfect proof for ultimate flavor.  

Enough nerding and more rocking some bourbon...oh yeah, I am drinking a few healthy pours of FRSiB GE, 25-2 O.  I may empty this one sooner than later, within the next few weeks, but as many of us say "its about the journey."  I am certain I will find a suitable replacement now that I know what I am looking for. 😄

What is SB.com about if we don't nerd out a little?  🤣

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 5

Watching "A Capitol Fourth" on PBS while sipping on SB Blend.  What could be more 'Murican' than that?  We used to go every year to The Mall and spend 10 or so hours sitting in the Sun on blankets and standing in Porta Potty lines (and, yes, the Nat'l Park Svc. ALWAYS had enough potties).  Then, we got OLD and have watched every single Cap4th on TV since then.  We follow that with channel surfing for fireworks on TV.  Big screens made this possible.

And LayZBoys.😉

• I like it 4

5 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Watching "A Capitol Fourth" on PBS while sipping on SB Blend.  What could be more 'Murican' than that?  We used to go every year to The Mall and spend 10 or so hours sitting in the Sun on blankets and standing in Porta Potty lines (and, yes, the Nat'l Park Svc. ALWAYS had enough potties).  Then, we got OLD and have watched every single Cap4th on TV since then.  We follow that with channel surfing for fireworks on TV.  Big screens made this possible.

And LayZBoys.😉

haha, AC in DC on the Fourth of July is better than AC/DC.  I too am sitting on my LayZBoy with the pup (8 years old now) watching the festivities.  It is difficult to attend live celebration events any more as both pups are afraid of fireworks, lightening/thunder, Rosie O'Donnell, anything loud and scary.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.