Not Really Worthy. The Drain Pour Thread.

fishnbowljoe

On 7/5/2022 at 9:50 AM, fosmith said:

If it is, it hurts my heart to see it in that picture.  I've had several bottles and they've been quite good.  But it is a very small batch product so there could be some that are sub par... 

The JEP single barrel rye i have had are excellent

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Queued up for the next round…

IMG_8316.thumb.jpg.4eb4dfbd9ca3632092cabe235d2fc447.jpg

Your drain drinks better stuff then many of us do.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

I'll be curious as to your impressions on Peerless & Revival.  I really like Peerless.  A little spendy on the rye, but good.

My impressions should be clear gIven that these bottles are on death row.

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

My impressions should be clear gIven that these bottles are on death row

Ah, I misunderstood.  Thought they were next up for testing.  Looks like that's already well underway, well into the terminal stages.

I'll happily rescue the Peerless rye.  I found the Revival was young & raw.  Good story though.  A lot of people hating on the Basil Hayden.  Not familiar with the others.

You certainly try a lot of different stuff.  

Do you actually drain pour?  I just relegate to "Manhattan Status".  Antica Formula Vermouth can cover for quite a bit.

haven't had the peerless although I have heard the rye is good.  I've had the Alberta Cask strength and I like it.

It would be a whole lot more entertaining if you lined them up and shot them with a rifle from 20 paces… 😆

• I like it 5

I’ve seen the G & W on the shelf before at Binny’s. I wondered if it has any connection to the old Gooderham And Worts in Toronto. A couple of the Peerless iterations just sit on the shelf at Sam’s Club. 🤔

Biba! Joe

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It would be a whole lot more entertaining if you lined them up and shot them with a rifle from 20 paces… 😆

Yus

9 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Do you actually drain pour?  

Oh yes he does! I've seen the evidence.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I'd happily take those Peerless bottles off your hands if I were closer to you (assuming you don't live close to STL). One of my favorite open bottles is a Peerless Sib rye from the distillery. I was fairly impressed with the others I had there.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Amen, I recognized this as a drain pour just from their asking price.

13 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Hol up there partner.  I tried me some of that Basil campfire smoke and with amble and due study and consideration, I can say firmly without a doubt, tis the worst basil hayden label ever been, ever

• I like it 2

I have never dumped a bottle. I give it to my sons and let them drink it, I use it in marinades and sauces, like cooking wine, I try blending it in small quantities with another bourbon to use it up, or make cocktails with it. And every once in a while, after sitting on my shelf for months/years, I take a taste and say, "That's better than I remember" and end up drinking it.

I experiment less now than I use to, my stash now is more multiple bottles of bourbons that friends and family like to drink. Less waste that way

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, flahute said:
20 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Do you actually drain pour?  

Oh yes he does! I've seen the evidence.

Savage.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, yobber76 said:

I have never dumped a bottle. I give it to my sons and let them drink it, I use it in marinades and sauces, like cooking wine, I try blending it in small quantities with another bourbon to use it up, or make cocktails with it. And every once in a while, after sitting on my shelf for months/years, I take a taste and say, "That's better than I remember" and end up drinking it.

I experiment less now than I use to, my stash now is more multiple bottles of bourbons that friends and family like to drink. Less waste that way

If you had as many bottles as Dave, you mind have to drain pour too.  I think his place is almost at the level of requiring EPA consideration.  

• I like it 5

44 minutes ago, BigRich said:

If you had as many bottles as Dave, you mind have to drain pour too.  I think his place is almost at the level of requiring EPA consideration.  

HEEHEEHEE!  

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

You should have seen the look on the Fire Inspector's face when I brought him in the room. I've got three sprinkler heads in the tiny space plus all of the required lighting and extinguishers-- so he let me fly.

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

You should have seen the look on the Fire Inspector's face when I brought him in the room. I've got three sprinkler heads in the tiny space plus all of the required lighting and extinguishers-- so he let me fly.

They probably hold you to the same standard as a liquor store, distributor, or high end whiskey bar. 🧯

The onlu bottles I've ever poured are the original Chattanooga Whiskey introductions and a couple scotch bottles before I got into bourbon.

Not much down the drain thanx to the good folks here that have guided me; however a couple none the less.

The very worst: a SIL gift of a TX bourbon - HM. Don't even remember beyond the initials and don't want to. Dump, dump, dump, dump...

I tried, I really tried, but the initial SA Big Level had to go. I even relegated it to cooking & it screwed that up, just the same!

Oh and a couple failed blends totally nuked out by me. Don't even remember what they were, but remembered the dump...

If I don't like a bottle, I always let it sit and revisit it ever few months rather than drain pour it.  They always get better.  Maker's Cask Strength, Hirsch The Horizon, and OGD 114 would all have been drain pours for me.  The first two became "OK" after a while but really not my jam, so I gave them to people who liked them.  OGD 114 kinda ticked me off because by the time I finally drank the last of it I was "that's not bad, maybe I should buy another bottle."

Redwood Empire Lost Monarch and Mellow Corn are another couple, they would be about the last bottles I would drink if I had to drink down my stash.  But rather than drain pour them I am playing with blending them to see if I can come up with something enjoyable.

I posted elsewhere about a bottle kill party I went to; I brought 4 bottles that would be WAY down on my list but that others might enjoy.  Better than a drain pour.

Finally, I do need to strip the paint off my screen door....

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

They probably hold you to the same standard as a liquor store, distributor, or high end whiskey bar. 🧯

They should hold him in higher esteem since his is a private collection.  😀

Dave should explain to them that their requirements don't meet his expectations. His stash is probably better protected than the Louvre.

Edited by mbroo5880i

21 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Maybe offering a pour or three while he considered letting you fly?  😉

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

Maybe offering a pour or three while he considered letting you fly?  😉

He honestly didn't seem interested-- maybe he was a Bud Light guy.

OK, you folks have inspired me. I spoke to the young enthusiastic guy at my local LS and he agreed to take the sealed and “single pour” bottles off my hands, for research purposes. Poor guy has no idea of the volume of bottles that await him. 

• I like it 13