What Bourbon Are You Drinking Fall 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Autumn begins with slightly cooler weather, light rain, trees changing.

Time for a new thread.

We had a grand time at our church's fall festival.

Then I came home and hit the family size Rebel 100.  The others are asleep (wore themselves out).

• I like it 5

I'll play along. Grandson's high school football game (they won, 35-6), now home for a long overdue bottle kill of the Angel's Envy that I don't hate but definitely would not buy again.  If I can accomplish that, I will treat myself to a pour of FRSiB.  This strategy concurrently creates a void in the bourbon lineup that begs for replacement, and lowers the fill level on the FRSiB to slightly below half. Anybody with half a brain knows that half a bottle or less of FRSiB activates the default setting known as "Time for a trip to the liquor store." At least that's what I'm going to tell her.  I hope she buys it. 

• I like it 5

Dinner and a comedy show with family and friends. 
Got home and it’s  🦬🦬🦬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Last nights pour after a longgg first week back to work after surgery.  MMCS  with a cube this just seams hot to me even though it is 109.4 proof

thumbnail (6).jpeg

• I like it 6

Opened up a bottle with some friends in Houston, Specs AE SiB.  We liked it quite a lot.  "Empty the bottle and get few more bottles" levels of "a lot".

AE Specs.jpg

• I like it 4

It may be "fall" season to y'all but it's still in the mid 90s in Texas. 

20220924_170729.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 9

OGD BiB while cooking cubed steak, rice and brown gravy. I’m roasting some brussel sprouts too but who cares about those?

50B7A708-B399-4B7D-BC36-C115ABA54027.jpeg

• I like it 7

Stagg Jr. batch 17.  Felt a strong pour was needed to go along with some good college football games today.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Opened up a bottle with some friends in Houston, Specs AE SiB.  We liked it quite a lot.  "Empty the bottle and get few more bottles" levels of "a lot".

AE Specs.jpg

Have you had the regular ol' non-SiB, non-store pick version of this?  The color of your liquid is significantly darker and more, shall I say, deep and mysterious than that of regular AE. Could that just be the lighting in your photo?  Are you personally acquainted with Lincoln Henderson?  What gives?  That stuff looks fantastic!  

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Anwalt said:

AE Specs.jpg

I'm not a huge AE fan, (or finished whiskey), but , last year, tried a store pick and immediately bought a couple bottles. 

They are crazy good. If we had more room in our luggage,  I'd have bought more.

Then AE pick program,  (or whatever they call it), is a pretty recent phenomenon.  The guy at the LS told us that they were one of the first stores in Florida to get a pick.  

The staff there really knows their stuff. We tried several of their picks, and was wavering between the AE and KC.  I went with the AE, because KC picks are ubiquitous to our neck of the woods.

I still have an unopened bottle and the one pictured does not have a very long life expectancy. 😉

20220924_205902.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, Thomm said:

Have you had the regular ol' non-SiB, non-store pick version of this?  The color of your liquid is significantly darker and more, shall I say, deep and mysterious than that of regular AE. Could that just be the lighting in your photo?  Are you personally acquainted with Lincoln Henderson?  What gives?  That stuff looks fantastic!  

Yup, I've had the regular version.  Indeed, it was one I started with.  I go to it less often than I did in the beginning.  I still like it, but my tastes are changing.  I will put the regulars and the store picks side by side when I get back to PR and post a pic.  We'll see how the colors compare.  I'll also have to try them side by side.  This one just seems deeper, richer, and more flavorful.  Still sweet & finished, but seems less so somehow.

I know who Lincoln Henderson was, but that's about it.

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm not a huge AE fan, (or finished whiskey), but , last year, tried a store pick and immediately bought a couple bottles. 

Then AE pick program,  (or whatever they call it), is a pretty recent phenomenon.  The guy at the LS told us that they were one of the first stores in Florida to get a pick.  

The staff there really knows their stuff. We tried several of their picks, and was wavering between the AE and KC.  I went with the AE, because KC picks are ubiquitous to our neck of the woods.

I still have an unopened bottle and the one pictured does not have a very long life expectancy. 😉

I'd like to compare different store picks.  And as was posted elsewhere, to figure out which stores have access to actual picks (as opposed to being forced to take whatever they can get) and know what they are doing.  I'll probably pick up one or two TW picks to compare.  Those are easy enough to get.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, mrray13 said:

Tonight’s first pour is a red corn wheated from a small, local distillery. Bloody Dapper will warm the palate.

EE0BAE12-3896-48E3-B852-B819A42E35DD.jpeg

This sound very interesting to me..   Can you compare it to any others?

3 hours ago, CaptTim said:

This sound very interesting to me..   Can you compare it to any others?

As I’m still new at this, please understand I probably won’t be able to do this justice, but will give it a go.

The only other wheated I’ve sampled is a store pick Old Echo. And while very good (it felt heavy on my tongue), the Bloody Dapper is better to me. The BD’s red corn, called Bloody Butcher, gives it a spicier bite throughout, with a hint of sweetness and the finish is long and warm. It also doesn’t have the heaviness of OEW.

The BD drinks very easily. The red corn makes all the difference. Same with the blue corn recipes Wood Hat has as well. When sampling Wood Hat’s yellow corn recipe bourbon, called Montgomery County, with his flagship blue corn, Rubenesque, the difference is night and day. The yellow produces a stronger ethanol flavor and burn while the blue is sweet and mellow, the red is spicy, warm. 

Hopefully that helps. IMRO(in my rookie opinion), the Wood Hat bottles are definitely worth a taste. And for those that love a sweet, smooth whisky, the Aged Blue Corn is for them. It should be called easypeasy, lol. They also make a barrel strength red corn, Bloody Butcher Red,  that is intense, yet smooth, and contradicts it’s proof. The warm, lingering finish reminds you of the proof subtly. And they have a blend that combines the red and blue with a white corn and is a great sip as well. 

I really enjoyed the tasting I went on yesterday and being able to taste B2B. My apologies if I went off track a bit.

• I like it 3

7 minutes ago, mrray13 said:

As I’m still new at this, please understand I probably won’t be able to do this justice, but will give it a go.

The only other wheated I’ve sampled is a store pick Old Echo. And while very good (it felt heavy on my tongue), the Bloody Dapper is better to me. The BD’s red corn, called Bloody Butcher, gives it a spicier bite throughout, with a hint of sweetness and the finish is long and warm. It also doesn’t have the heaviness of OEW.

The BD drinks very easily. The red corn makes all the difference. Same with the blue corn recipes Wood Hat has as well. When sampling Wood Hat’s yellow corn recipe bourbon, called Montgomery County, with his flagship blue corn, Rubenesque, the difference is night and day. The yellow produces a stronger ethanol flavor and burn while the blue is sweet and mellow, the red is spicy, warm. 

Hopefully that helps. IMRO(in my rookie opinion), the Wood Hat bottles are definitely worth a taste. And for those that love a sweet, smooth whisky, the Aged Blue Corn is for them. It should be called easypeasy, lol. They also make a barrel strength red corn, Bloody Butcher Red,  that is intense, yet smooth, and contradicts it’s proof. The warm, lingering finish reminds you of the proof subtly. And they have a blend that combines the red and blue with a white corn and is a great sip as well. 

I really enjoyed the tasting I went on yesterday and being able to taste B2B. My apologies if I went off track a bit.

Thanks,,  That was a very good description and I think you did far more than Justice..  

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I have an AE store pick from 2015 or 2016.  They used to be common. back then.

• I like it 2

Four Roses still keeping me company. 

Listening to all sorts of favourites on YouTube, whitesnake, def Leppard, Reo speedwagon, fleetwood mac.....

IMG_20220925_205417.jpg

• I like it 7

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

I have an AE store pick from 2015 or 2016.  They used to be common. back then.

I misstated in my response.

This is a single barrel select.

AE started that in late 2020.

The way it works is that retailers select a cask strength barrel, (ostensibly after sampling it), before it's finished in the port barrel.

• I like it 1

Drowning my sorrows after getting home from a horrific football game.

At least we won the tailgate!

That's John J. Bowman in the glass.

20220925_174351.jpg

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, MissMohawk said:

Four Roses still keeping me company. 

Listening to all sorts of favourites on YouTube, whitesnake, def Leppard, Reo speedwagon, fleetwood mac.....

IMG_20220925_205417.jpg

Now that's a good day!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.