What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Winter Solstice officially rolled in yesterday and Winter is about to punch much of the country in the mouth over the next couple of days.  So, time to get busy with our cold weather drinkin!  Even here Down South, we’re hitting a low of 10 tomorrow.  Chicago -6 and snow?!?!  Brrrrr….That’s OK, because we’ve got bourbon to get us through until the thaw in Spring.  I’m starting with a fine pour of Maker’s 101.  Maker’s has always been a perfect Holiday pour for me, over the years.  I love the Cask Strength version very much, and this 101 is right behind it.  Price is still whacky-out-of-line here in Georgia, but I’ll splurge on it.  The bottle graphics are top notch, too.

So, SB brethren.  What bourbon are you drinking this Winter season?

B992A328-2EAB-4760-949E-3A79DC33D3EF.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 11

• smokinjoe changed the title to What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

watching the snow fall,  just poured this as a starter. Today is my last workday for the year and the barrel proofers will be coming out later. Stay warm over these next few days everyone.

20221222_150140.jpg

• I like it 8

Wife texted she was 5 min out so I hustled our to shovel the first 1.5" of snow from her parking area.  I probably deserve a small pour right?

• I like it 7

37 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Wife texted she was 5 min out so I hustled our to shovel the first 1.5" of snow from her parking area.  I probably deserve a small pour right?

🤣 what a way to earn one! No ice needed I guess......

• I like it 1

Decided to pour me a Bookers. Received a lot I won in an auction today, it was a Bookers and a Bakers combined lot. By pure coincidence it was the same batch I had a bottle from open already..... batch 2015-02. What a coincidence!

• I like it 3

Pour #2 after going out to sweep the snow off driveway on my way to the mailbox with a temp of 1deg.

20221222_172615.jpg

• I like it 11

2 hours ago, Obree said:

Decided to pour me a Bookers. Received a lot I won in an auction today, it was a Bookers and a Bakers combined lot. By pure coincidence it was the same batch I had a bottle from open already..... batch 2015-02. What a coincidence!

Dot’s Batch is a very good one, congrats.  
I am enjoying a WT Cornerstone over a big ball of ice.  I felt it was fitting.  Stay safe and warm all.

We are supposed to have a progressive party (each house is providing a different course in the feast) on Christmas Eve (if the weather cooperates) culminating in a bottle exchange based on blind number draw at the new neighbor’s place.  Here’s hoping.🤞🏻🎅🏼

C2E683DE-8B24-45CC-8CFA-22FF1DA2919A.jpeg

• I like it 7

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

You earned a large pour my friend.  Maybe even a back and foot rub for your efforts.  Pretty cool.  

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Dot’s Batch is a very good one, congrats.  
I am enjoying a WT Cornerstone over a big ball of ice.  I felt it was fitting.  Stay safe and warm all.

We are supposed to have a progressive party (each house is providing a different course in the feast) on Christmas Eve (if the weather cooperates) culminating in a bottle exchange based on blind number draw at the new neighbor’s place.  Here’s hoping.🤞🏻🎅🏼

C2E683DE-8B24-45CC-8CFA-22FF1DA2919A.jpeg

I haven't done a progressive dinner in years.  They were quite fun.  Here's to hoping you can make it happen!  

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The Winter Solstice officially rolled in yesterday and Winter is about to punch much of the country in the mouth over the next couple of days.  So, time to get busy with our cold weather drinkin!  Even here Down South, we’re hitting a low of 10 tomorrow.  Chicago -6 and snow?!?!  Brrrrr….That’s OK, because we’ve got bourbon to get us through until the thaw in Spring.  I’m starting with a fine pour of Maker’s 101.  Maker’s has always been a perfect Holiday pour for me, over the years.  I love the Cask Strength version very much, and this 101 is right behind it.  Price is still whacky-out-of-line here in Georgia, but I’ll splurge on it.  The bottle graphics are top notch, too.

An awesome photo!  I would much rather receive this in a Christmas card than the family photos most friends send.  I enjoy my friends but I don't need photos of their family every year.  

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

We went to an annual Winter Solstice concert at a small theatre last night.  It is hosted by an acquaintance and his wife every year.  They have musical friends from Ireland and Normandy in every year for a seasonal Irish program.  It is always a high-light of the season for us.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

JD SiB, the non BP version.  

One of my best friends flew out today for San Juan.  His son who is in the USAF is going to propose to his girlfriend or so we think.  He made it out of Indy before the bad weather hit.  

• I like it 2

Cold night in central Indiana.  Just finished off a bottle of WT101.  This one hit on all cylinders from day one.  I paid $17 for a cheeseburger, fries, soda and tip for lunch today.  It was absolutely great.  The Friendly Tavern for those family with Indy.  But. $17.49 for this bottle was a better value. 

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, Double C's said:

Pour #2 after going out to sweep the snow off driveway on my way to the mailbox with a temp of 1deg.

20221222_172615.jpg

Me too.  Started the winter off last night with several medicinal pours of a Russell's SiB store pick.  My 68-year-old body needed it after spending several hours sanding the ceiling in preparation to paint.

• I like it 5

Stay warm, SB. My family is in the PNW and the in-laws are in NE. We stay put over the holiday because we love Christmas in LA. It’s supposed to be 75 on Sunday.  Heading to the Sierra for the new year weekend. AR event likely next week so we’ll get our taste of winter. 

M10…trying to kill it. 

7EE4EC0B-AC8E-465A-95BB-C9F985576BA8.jpeg

• I like it 4

Supposed to have hit 71 here in the South Bay today. 

Started the night with my day 22 Advent calendar sample, Barrel batch 33.  My buddy (we are doing these blind) thought it might be a Doc Swinson's cask strength so I had to move on to that to see if they were similar (a little),  Now for no particular reason, I am working on some JD SiB BP.

• I like it 3

Sagamore Barrel Select Rye

and then

Knob Creek 9

First crack of the Sagamore. Intriguing stuff. I'll have to give it a couple of pours before rendering judgment, but so far, I'm digging it.

• I like it 7

6 hours ago, TBoner said:

Sagamore Barrel Select Rye

and then

Knob Creek 9

First crack of the Sagamore. Intriguing stuff. I'll have to give it a couple of pours before rendering judgment, but so far, I'm digging it.

Still need to open mine, found one recently in Germany along with the Sagamore double oak. Really curious about that one!

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

One of my best friends flew out today for San Juan.  His son who is in the USAF is going to propose to his girlfriend or so we think.  He made it out of Indy before the bad weather hit.

If I were sane I'd be in San Juan.  But kid graduated, we flew up here, and it was cheaper to stay up north.  Driving from Columbus to Indy in a few hours.  Parents driving down from Youngstown now in a blizzard.  Dad blows it off as "Northern Ohio" and "meh".

Glad your friend made it out in time.  Does his son reside in SJ, or just picked as a good spot to vacation/propose?

• I like it 1

Had lunch yesterday at Smith & Wollensky's in Wellesley, MA.  Sat at the bar and looked up at their bourbon selection, immediately saw a bottle of Blanton's and started to open my mouth to order when suddenly on the way tippi-top shelf I saw this surprise sitting next to bottles of ORVW10 & Lot B and ordered it instead (without asking the price):

S&W Stagg 3.jpg

You can see me in the mirror taking the pic with my lunch date (a cute redhead who is not SWMBO!)  Nice pour, too  😋

It was the 2022 GTS at 138.7 pf!

S&W Stagg 2.jpg

And they let me hold it! 

S&W Stagg 1.jpg

$46 for the Stagg, $55 for the ORVW10 - if I didn't have to go to work that evening, I would still be at the bar - the cute redhead was buying!!  🤣

Edited by GeeTen
Spell Check
  • I like it 14

Beats the heck out of Blantons! Glad you spotted that Frank! Cant believe it was cheaper than the ORVW10. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Had lunch yesterday at Smith & Wollensky's in Wellesley, MA.  Sat at the bar and looked up at their bourbon selection, immediately saw a bottle of Blanton's and started to open my mouth to order when suddenly on the way tippi-top shelf I saw this surprise sitting next to bottles of ORVW10 & Lot B and ordered it instead (without asking the price):

S&W Stagg 3.jpg

You can see me in the mirror taking the pic with my lunch date (a cute redhead who is not SWMBO!)  Nice pour, too  😋

It was the 2022 GTS at 138.7 pf!

S&W Stagg 2.jpg

And they let me hold it! 

S&W Stagg 1.jpg

$46 for the Stagg, $55 for the ORVW10 - if I didn't have to go to work that evening, I would still be at the bar - the cute redhead was buying!!  🤣

How does this year's compare to previous releases? Only a few LEs really get my attention, but GTS is still one of them.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.