What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I pick this up a few days ago.  It is advertised as a West Michigan distillery but it plainly states on the label that it was distilled in Indiana so it is MGP juice.  I probably overpaid but I still like it overall.  So yes, I fell for the marketing hype and probably should have passed on it.  You can sign me up for the Bourbon Hall of Shame for this purpose.  I almost started another thread on that specific topics so that we can post our "mistakes" or even those companies that fail to be transparent on their labels.  

I don't mind telling people when I have screwed up but then again, I get to drink my mistakes (usually).

IMG_2516.thumb.jpeg.ceb29a5740b5e9ed49c1c017491f0d99.jpeg

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

I pick this up a few days ago.  It is advertised as a West Michigan distillery but it plainly states on the label that it was distilled in Indiana so it is MGP juice.  I probably overpaid but I still like it overall.  So yes, I fell for the marketing hype and probably should have passed on it.  You can sign me up for the Bourbon Hall of Shame for this purpose.  I almost started another thread on that specific topics so that we can post our "mistakes" or even those companies that fail to be transparent on their labels.  

I don't mind telling people when I have screwed up but then again, I get to drink my mistakes (usually).

I believe its from the same bunch that produces jos magnus. Probably not too bad of a purchase. 

• I like it 1

48 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

23 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I believe its from the same bunch that produces jos magnus. Probably not too bad of a purchase. 

Yeah, it is bottled at Coppercraft in Holland which is where Joseph Mangus is bottled. It is a blend of 8 to 15 year old MGP mashbills.  I tried it at the tasting room in Saugatuck back in August.  I really enjoyed it.  I believe the price was $99.  I almost bought a bottle and should have.  I didn't try any of the other Fox & Oden bourbons but did try several Coppercraft as part of a tasting flight. They were young and harsh.  This one though was pretty good.  It is probably on par with Remus and Joseph Mangus.

I saw a local Kroger had a bottle of the 90 proof version for $129.  An easy pass.  I would have grabbed the 99 proof for the same price that I saw in Michigan.  You don't belong in the Bourbon Hall of Shame for buying a bottle.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

Route 70 Columbus to Indy is a skating rink.  3 hour drive is becoming 6.  This is that one time we should have taken the news seriously.  My Old Man is a little ahead of us and started even earlier from Youngstown.  Tough old bugger, him.

Looking forward to a Kentucky hug in a few hours!

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Yeah, it is bottled at Coppercraft in Holland which is where Joseph Mangus is bottled. It is a blend of 8 to 15 year old MGP mashbills.  I tried it at the tasting room in Saugatuck back in August.  I really enjoyed it.  I believe the price was $99.  I almost bought a bottle and should have.  I didn't try any of the other Fox & Oden bourbons but did try several Coppercraft as part of a tasting flight. They were young and harsh.  This one though was pretty good.  It is probably on par with Remus and Joseph Mangus.

I saw a local Kroger had a bottle of the 90 proof version for $129.  An easy pass.  I would have grabbed the 99 proof for the same price that I saw in Michigan.  You don't belong in the Bourbon Hall of Shame for buying a bottle.

I was not wowed by the Coppercraft bottles I tried at a recent event with a Coppercraft booth, They didn't have F&O so I can't opine.  Well I could, but I would sound like a jackass.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Had lunch yesterday at Smith & Wollensky's in Wellesley, MA.  Sat at the bar and looked up at their bourbon selection, immediately saw a bottle of Blanton's and started to open my mouth to order when suddenly on the way tippi-top shelf I saw this surprise sitting next to bottles of ORVW10 & Lot B and ordered it instead (without asking the price):

S&W Stagg 3.jpg

You can see me in the mirror taking the pic with my lunch date (a cute redhead who is not SWMBO!)  Nice pour, too  😋

It was the 2022 GTS at 138.7 pf!

S&W Stagg 2.jpg

And they let me hold it! 

S&W Stagg 1.jpg

$46 for the Stagg, $55 for the ORVW10 - if I didn't have to go to work that evening, I would still be at the bar - the cute redhead was buying!!  🤣

The brunette in the bottle is pretty cute too.  How awesome!  Lovely company, great bourbon.  The evening work thing not so much.  As always, you, my friend, are living the good life.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

EW egg nog for Mrs. Skinsfan,  Rebel 100 for yours truly.

This is my first Rebel that isn't a store pick,  so I'm looking really forward to trying it.

20221223_172048.jpg

• I like it 6

Just poured the last of  a Heavens Door Straight bourbon, after venturing outsde and re-setting our fallen Snow Man, who was no match for the day-long howling winds.  Next up will probably be a Bookers...which batch is another question....

Be smart and stay warm out there..

• I like it 4

Christmas Eve-Eve after preparing for company all day, deserves the final pour of my favorite bottle last year...

RR13.thumb.jpg.3066ec1b0cf06d9906edbfe510a4d7ca.jpg

Be safe for the Holidays, Friends!!!

• I like it 9

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Had lunch yesterday at Smith & Wollensky's in Wellesley, MA.  Sat at the bar and looked up at their bourbon selection, immediately saw a bottle of Blanton's and started to open my mouth to order when suddenly on the way tippi-top shelf I saw this surprise sitting next to bottles of ORVW10 & Lot B and ordered it instead (without asking the price):

S&W Stagg 3.jpg

You can see me in the mirror taking the pic with my lunch date (a cute redhead who is not SWMBO!)  Nice pour, too  😋

It was the 2022 GTS at 138.7 pf!

S&W Stagg 2.jpg

And they let me hold it! 

S&W Stagg 1.jpg

$46 for the Stagg, $55 for the ORVW10 - if I didn't have to go to work that evening, I would still be at the bar - the cute redhead was buying!!  🤣

No wonder that you get all the chicks!!!

I have no GTS for my fishing rod... 😢

• I like it 1

Made it after a six-hour controlled slide.  

Brother in law had a Wathem's SiB waiting.  

<sigh>

Contentment. 

• I like it 9

43 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Christmas Eve-Eve after preparing for company all day, deserves the final pour of my favorite bottle last year...

RR13.thumb.jpg.3066ec1b0cf06d9906edbfe510a4d7ca.jpg

Be safe for the Holidays, Friends!!!

It looks like Santa is trying to hide after emptying your bottle. 😀

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Made it after a six-hour controlled slide.  

Brother in law had a Wathem's SiB waiting.  

<sigh>

Contentment. 

Great to hear!  Enjoy your family, warmth, and bourbon over the holidays.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

EW egg nog for Mrs. Skinsfan,  Rebel 100 for yours truly.

This is my first Rebel that isn't a store pick,  so I'm looking really forward to trying it.

20221223_172048.jpg

Haha, cool moosehead glasses.  Trying to make the buffalo jealous?

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Haha, cool moosehead glasses.  Trying to make the buffalo jealous?

😂

The buffalo is secure in our relationship.....

• I like it 3

Started off with a nice pour of KC9 to start the evening.  Enjoyed the familiar Smith Brothers Lozenges cherry oaky profile.  A nice pour on an extremely cold winter's evening.  It never disappoints.  

Following up now with a nice pour of FRSiB 100 proof from warehouse GE while watching the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. This eastsider hasn't disappointed either. A softer less oaky entry on the palate but an exceptionally long spicy finish.

Two totally different 100 proofers.  Both equally enjoyable.  

• I like it 6

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

KC12 in the glass....

20221223_202740.jpg

Now, all of these glass and the bourbon in them is just showing off!  😀  Just kidding.  Looks like you are having an enjoyable evening.  Why not? It is Christmas Eve-Eve.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Now, all of these glass and the bourbon in them is just showing off!  😀  Just kidding.  Looks like you are having an enjoyable evening.  Why not? It is Christmas Eve-Eve.

😅

We have waaaaay to many glasses, and use 'em all🥃

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

😅

We have waaaaay to many glasses, and use 'em all🥃

Just got the kids in bed, now it's time for the wife and I to wrap their gifts. Figured this would help with that task.

20221223_205715.jpg

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.