What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

41 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Some Yellowstone 2021 LE after a French onion soup dinner.

With bread and cheese?  The French Onion Soup, not the bourbon.  I love French Onion Soup.

I recall a blogger one-time saying they were giving up red meat and discussing their French Onion Soup recipe.  I was thinking I usually have French Onion Soup with my steak.  I am not sure I have had it separately.  But, apparently it is a thing.  😀

I do enjoy cheese and crackers with my bourbon.  I just don't combine them in the glass. 

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

.  As a Colts fan, I was spared the playoffs this year

Yep. As a Packers fan, I was spared the playoffs this year also, or should I say spared the certainty of having our asses handed to us by the 49ers again.  I gotta say, I could get used to watching the playoffs at 20 points lower in both systolic and diastolic categories.  

Oh, on topic, bottle-killing OF 1920 pour for me, thank you. 

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

As a Colts fan, I was spared the playoffs this year.  

As a Pats fan, SWMBO hid my samurai swords around mid-October this year.  🤢

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

She should have sent those to the Colt's management, with proper instructions.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

WTH is moist January?  You eating Hostess Twinkies again?  My weekend usually starts on Monday.  Sometimes Tuesday if I am still hungover from the weekend.  JK, I have been working on reducing weekday pours to 4 nights each week. 😀  

Ha! Per the rules of low carb diet there are no Twinkies in this house!

Last night I enjoyed KCSiB, RRSiB, and OFBPSiB. Got to drink them while I can because Monday is rapidly approaching.

• I like it 2

I couldn't bring myself to toss a perfectly good ice ball, after Mrs. Skinsfan finished her Old Fashioned.

That's my story,  and I'm sticking to it😂

20230122_161556.jpg

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

We’re on to 2023!!! I for one am looking forward to our new OC and Mayo as the asst. HC and I have in no way given up on Mac Jones. Let’s Fn GO!! What am I drinking? Sorry nothing to contribute there, carry on good people of SB.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

We’re on to 2023!!! I for one am looking forward to our new OC and Mayo as the asst. HC and I have in no way given up on Mac Jones. Let’s Fn GO!! What am I drinking? Sorry nothing to contribute there, carry on good people of SB.

According to the standard list of proper bourbon abbreviations, you appear to be looking forward to some Old Charter.  Perhaps an Offensive Coordinator with a fondness for Old Charter?

• I like it 1

I like Old Charter and Mayo. Just not together. 

I don't have any Old Charter so I opted for a pour of KC SiB. I might have another because as @flahute says Monday is rapidly  approaching. 

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Thomm said:

According to the standard list of proper bourbon abbreviations, you appear to be looking forward to some Old Charter.  Perhaps an Offensive Coordinator with a fondness for Old Charter?

LOL!! Well played!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I don't have any Old Charter so I opted for a pour of KC SiB. I might have another because as @flahute says Monday is rapidly  approaching. 

Get 'em while you can!

• I like it 1

A celebratory pour after the 49ers hard fought victory over their arch rival Dallas in the divisional round of the playoffs. 

coy hill 49ers.jpg

• I like it 13

I finally killed off a bottle of Jim Beam Black.   I never found much not like about it; but, it also never really hit quite right.   About half of it was sniffed-&-sipped from a Glencairn - neat... the rest went into either a highball, a hot toddy or an Old Fashioned.   I won't be replacing it.

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, fosmith said:

A celebratory pour after the 49ers hard fought victory over their arch rival Dallas in the divisional round of the playoffs. 

coy hill 49ers.jpg

Thumbs up for the celebratory pour, but more so for beating Dallas 🤸‍♂️

I'm already planning what my next two after game pours will be for the next two Eagles wins. 😄

• I like it 1

I cracked open a Private Selection from Makers last night.  These have become my favorite bourbon by a long shot.  Each bottle is different yet the same in the sense that it is soooo good.  I've basically got to the point that if I see one at a LS, I buy.  Great great offering from Makers.  

IMG_0527.jpeg

Edited by Wlrogers
  • I like it 4

Picked up some Calumet 10 in the new(to me) Blue label bottles. Beautiful labels IMHO. I have had the 16 and wasn't overly impressed, well now that I have 3 10 years, was time to pop one open. My main LS price is $79, but whenever I buy any higher priced bottles he knocks a couple of bucks off. Well, Just WOW. Aroma of caramel and butterscotch, taste of oak, vanilla, maybe a slight bit of cherry. Fantastic. If you see one try and grab it. Great juice.....

• I like it 5

On 1/16/2023 at 8:50 PM, 0895 said:

Not a huge beam guy, but this is hitting pretty good with buffalo chicken salad for dinner.  🤷🏻‍♂️

DA00505C-C8DF-4C3A-B6CA-6B1BE0EF6A7A.jpeg

Not a Beam fan here either but OGD bib and 114 are all time favorites. I have heard (and my palate tells me) that the yeast is not Beam but the actual recipe & yeast from United Distillers that was carried over when Beam purchased the brand. White label Beam is a drain pour for me and always has been since I was first exposed to whiskies around 1983. I am just realizing that I am now 40 years into this hobby though back then I was not exactly a connoisseur. I certainly did know that I preferred ET, JD and absolutely WT101 to that young Beam. Thankfully the off-putting aspect ages out as I quite enjoy KC at 9yrs, the 8yr Beam Black still had a hint but I could tolerate that one.

• I like it 2

On 1/22/2023 at 8:43 PM, mbroo5880i said:

You mean like this Old Charter? Great chocolate taste.

D3FA9C8E-1537-4581-9AD7-5465613EC440.jpeg

• I like it 5

Tonight I’m having a pour of Elmer T Lee. I know that I will never get my hands on allocations nor do I try to hard. With so many great store picks out there, I’ve kept my focus on those. However, I’m a member of a bourbon group here in the midsouth and a very generous person sent me some samples from a tasting I wasn’t able to make. 

I can definitely tell it’s from the same bill as Blanton and they taste VERY similar imo. However, the nose on the ETL is much better. 

I enjoyed it and now I have a pour of EC toasted which is fantastic. 

468DEFDF-BB1D-43D4-9877-64FC0BF58A18.jpeg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, shyster512 said:

41botj.jpg.bd1952e970f6cb6c6ba8733690decbeb.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

55 minutes ago, Wlrogers said:

Tonight I’m having a pour of Elmer T Lee. I know that I will never get my hands on allocations nor do I try to hard. With so many great store picks out there, I’ve kept my focus on those. However, I’m a member of a bourbon group here in the midsouth and a very generous person sent me some samples from a tasting I wasn’t able to make. 

I can definitely tell it’s from the same bill as Blanton and they taste VERY similar imo. However, the nose on the ETL is much better. 

I enjoyed it and now I have a pour of EC toasted which is fantastic. 

468DEFDF-BB1D-43D4-9877-64FC0BF58A18.jpeg

I preferred the 93 proof ETL Commemorative bottle over any Blanton's I ever had.  I think @jvd99 took that one from me in the SB.com Fantasy Football League.  A double bitch slap.  Losing the bottle and to @jvd99.  That was the last year I played in the league.  My ... is still puckered.  😀

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, shyster512 said:

Second post on that bottle.  She be pretty.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Not a Beam fan here either but OGD bib and 114 are all time favorites. I have heard (and my palate tells me) that the yeast is not Beam but the actual recipe & yeast from United Distillers that was carried over when Beam purchased the brand. White label Beam is a drain pour for me and always has been since I was first exposed to whiskies around 1983. I am just realizing that I am now 40 years into this hobby though back then I was not exactly a connoisseur. I certainly did know that I preferred ET, JD and absolutely WT101 to that young Beam. Thankfully the off-putting aspect ages out as I quite enjoy KC at 9yrs, the 8yr Beam Black still had a hint but I could tolerate that one.

Beam White....I would rather drink kerosene.  It is the bourbon they serve at my company Christmas party.  I remember one time telling the bartender I will take a pour of JB on the rocks.  He put about 3 small ice cubes in the glass and proceeded to fill the glass with JB.  Probably 6 to 8 ounces.  I got through it but had to eat two servings of dry chicken and a lot of desserts.  Later I realize the venue charged my employer $50 for a $10 bottle.  The bartender was on a mission and it wasn't to serve good bourbon.

I agree with the United Distillers yeast difference.  OGD BIB is great.  I have struggled with OGD 114 but the proof makes a difference.  Depending on my mood, one pour can be good or meh.  By the second pour, who the .... cares?

• I like it 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:19 AM, Richnimrod said:

I finally killed off a bottle of Jim Beam Black.   I never found much not like about it; but, it also never really hit quite right.   About half of it was sniffed-&-sipped from a Glencairn - neat... the rest went into either a highball, a hot toddy or an Old Fashioned.   I won't be replacing it.

How long did you have this bottle?  😀

Too much good bourbon out there to waste your time on something you don't like.  

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.