What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

End of a screwed up week.  Hit a Deer on my way to work Wednesday morning.   I have had so many close calls with Deer,, finally it happened.  Lots of damage to the truck.

I started the night with a large pour of  Blade and Bow.   Finished with WRDO   what a difference on the plate between those two.

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, CaptTim said:

End of a screwed up week.  Hit a Deer on my way to work Wednesday morning.   I have had so many close calls with Deer,, finally it happened.  Lots of damage to the truck.

I started the night with a large pour of  Blade and Bow.   Finished with WRDO   what a difference on the plate between those two.

Sucked that it happened, sorry to hear of it.  Glad you OK.

• I like it 1

Benchmark Full Proof over a clear cube after a day of front yard work and cutting back the crape myrtles (still a ways to go to finish off these 30 year old monsters).  Had my new Solo Stove going all day since it was cool out.  Nice to step by occasionally to warm up.  Now, I’m going to chill with the Benchmark for awhile while sitting by it.  These line extension Benchmarks are tantalizingly well priced.  There always is that marshmallow thing going on with them to varying degrees, like what I get with most toasted barrel offerings.  But, unlike most of those, it’s not artificial sweetener saccharine-y.  Solid, for its cost.  Particularly nice right now.  

F8230867-9E49-4273-87C7-781613D92A3B.jpeg

• I like it 10

17 hours ago, Kepler said:

KC 100 proof flight SBS tonight.

KC NAS from the short lived NAS period

KC 9 year

KC 12 year

Hmm, there might be something to this aging in barrels thing... 🤔

I SBS'd KC NAS and KC9-yr when they returned the age statement and preferred the NAS, but I suspect it was because it was an older bottle that had opened up.  I tried to blind 1-yr and 12-yr but it was so obvious which was which there was little point.  I am less wowed than some by the 12-yr after going through a couple of bottles.  I like it better than the 9-yr but not I'd rather have a KC SiB barrel pick for about the same price.  That's just me, though.

I would like to try KC-15 and KC-18, as well as the older Hardin's Creek but not enough to buy the three bottles.  Maybe I'll find them at a bar or maybe I'll have to go back to Clermont.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, CaptTim said:

Ouch, sorry to hear that.  We have a lot of woods edge and creeks in my area due to farm acreage.  The deer population has exploded over the past 20 years.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Benchmark Full Proof over a clear cube after a day of front yard work and cutting back the crape myrtles (still a ways to go to finish off these 30 year old monsters).  Had my new Solo Stove going all day since it was cool out.  Nice to step by occasionally to warm up.  Now, I’m going to chill with the Benchmark for awhile while sitting by it.  These line extension Benchmarks are tantalizingly well priced.  There always is that marshmallow thing going on with them to varying degrees, like what I get with most toasted barrel offerings.  But, unlike most of those, it’s not artificial sweetener saccharine-y.  Solid, for its cost.  Particularly nice right now.  

F8230867-9E49-4273-87C7-781613D92A3B.jpeg

Awesome setting with a healthy pour!

RR SiB warehouse A 4th floor. This one is a couple months shy of 9 years yet the oak is very pronounced. It’s good but I have to be in an oak mood for it. 

Moving to JJB SiB. Ahhhhhh.  Very nice!

• I like it 3

1792 BiB for me this evening.  I had to dig to find it so, I think I may enjoy it for a few days.

• I like it 4

I am drinking a super sexy, top notch, multi-generational straight bourbon whiskey of high quality and reasonable price.

Fortunately for us, there are lots of options that meet this criteria.  But, the masterpiece of which I speak is WT101.  

Sorry @flahute, I know you were expecting OF100.  However, I know you also enjoy WT101 so all is good.  I enjoy both but comparing the last few bottles I give a slight edge to WT101.  

• I like it 3

20 minutes ago, markandrex said:

1792 BiB for me this evening.  I had to dig to find it so, I think I may enjoy it for a few days.

Minimizing effort to drink = smart move.  

Poured the last splash of #6 in the glass, and topped it off with some #7.

I guess it's a BBC blend, "blend"😉

20230204_212542.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

39 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am drinking a super sexy, top notch, multi-generational straight bourbon whiskey of high quality and reasonable price.

Fortunately for us, there are lots of options that meet this criteria.  But, the masterpiece of which I speak is WT101.  

Sorry @flahute, I know you were expecting OF100.  However, I know you also enjoy WT101 so all is good.  I enjoy both but comparing the last few bottles I give a slight edge to WT101.  

Ha! They both occupy the same space for me, just depends on my mood any given night!

• I like it 3

On 2/3/2023 at 6:35 PM, smokinjoe said:

The King, tonight.  

5E33B3B2-DF00-4A25-8BEB-EABCD8ED2046.jpeg

Why we are brothers! I was drinking the EXACT same last night.

• I like it 2

Since this is the first weekend of The Month of Roses, I have been sampling offerings from the folks at Four Roses.  Fabulous. 

Hail to The Cult!  

Cheers

B30A8314-8005-4D76-9E79-F464ABE8BAD8.jpeg

• I like it 12

Had a wonderful evening last night with another set (subset of Pappy's Place) friends:

HWMWND Tasting.jpg

A complete tasting of High West Midwinter's Night Drams featuring Act. 1, 2.1, 2.2 (my contribution), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 10 Encore.  Our generous host and hostess are to the left of the bottles and SWMBO is nervously looking at the samples and thinking "I hope Frank doesn't drink too much and puke all over the front seat of our new car while I'm driving home!"  🤣

There was a definitive divide between Acts 5 & 6, representing the change from older barrels of Rendezvous rye (8 & 18 yr?)  to younger whiskey (4 & 7 yr?).  And even when I found a new(er) sample that thought I liked (Act 7), it still paled in comparison to my Act 2.2 dram.  Acts 1, 2.1, 2.2 & 3 were huge with great moutfeel, rye flavors, dried fruits, some initial cinnamon heat on the palate, and a long luxurious finish.  Act 4 was more tame but still had the wonder flavors and mouthfeel of the first 4 - maybe because it was the only previously opened bottle from several years back?  Act 5 was a rebound back to unctuous flavors and finish of the earlier samples.  Act 6 - 10 were (in the immortal words of The Bard himself) "poor players who strut and fret their hour upon the stage and then are heard no more."   (See what I did there?  🥴)

JMHO, of course.    😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 10

58 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Had a wonderful evening last night with another set (subset of Pappy's Place) friends:

A complete tasting of High West Midwinter's Night Drams featuring Act. 1, 2.1, 2.2 (my contribution), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 10 Encore.  Our generous host and hostess are to the left of the bottles and SWMBO is nervously looking at the samples and thinking "I hope Frank doesn't drink too much and puke all over the front seat of our new car while I'm driving home!"  🤣

There was a definitive divide between Acts 5 & 6, representing the change from older barrels of Rendezvous rye (8 & 18 yr?)  to younger whiskey (4 & 7 yr?).  And even when I found a new(er) sample that thought I liked (Act 7), it still paled in comparison to my Act 2.2 dram.  Acts 1, 2.1, 2.2 & 3 were huge with great moutfeel, rye flavors, dried fruits, some initial cinnamon heat on the palate, and a long luxurious finish.  Act 4 was more tame but still had the wonder flavors and mouthfeel of the first 4 - maybe because it was the only previously opened bottle from several years back?  Act 5 was a rebound back to unctuous flavors and finish of the earlier samples.  Act 6 - 10 were (in the immortal words of The Bard himself) "poor players who strut and fret their hour upon the stage and then are heard no more."   (See what I did there?  🥴)

JMHO, of course.    😋

Wow!

Fantastic write up, Frank.

Couldn't agree more with your assessment of the spectrum and I'm very fortunate that my wife got us into MWND early in the game.

You lucky dog,  I have never gotten to try Act 1. 

:)

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

HWMWND Tasting.jpg

JMHO, of course.    😋

Very cool!  Act 3 is as far back as I go and it was indeed stellar. Recently put a 7 up against 10 and 7 was clearly better even for the new batches...errrr....acts.

I can hear your SWMBO now!! "Oh Frank!" 🤣

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Wow!

Fantastic write up, Frank.

Couldn't agree more with your assessment of the spectrum and I'm very fortunate that my wife got us into MWND early in the game.

You lucky dog,  I have never gotten to try Act 1. 

:)

Act 1 and the Act 2s were very close to each other in taste, mouthfeel and finish - probably same batch but issued for 2 years.  Act 3 was a little more "refined" than the previous ones, but that was REALLY "splitting hairs"  😁 

51 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Very cool!  Act 3 is as far back as I go and it was indeed stellar. Recently put a 7 up against 10 and 7 was clearly better even for the new batches...errrr....acts.

I can hear your SWMBO now!! "Oh Frank!" 🤣

Sounds like a sample of HWMWND Act 2.2 is needed in Mizzou - you just have to promise to share with "the Tribe".   😜

And my recollection of the ride home was strangely that of total silence . . . . .  😬

• I like it 3

Getting ready to grill some burgers.  Had to have a pour of my favorite grillin' whiskey... that would be a healthy pour of Baker's bourbon. 

• I like it 4

I haven't visited this one for a long time and I don't remember liking it this much.

It's really in my wheelhouse tonight.

20230205_212837.jpg

• I like it 2

On 2/4/2023 at 5:54 PM, IamMatt said:

I SBS'd KC NAS and KC9-yr when they returned the age statement and preferred the NAS, but I suspect it was because it was an older bottle that had opened up.  I tried to blind 1-yr and 12-yr but it was so obvious which was which there was little point.  I am less wowed than some by the 12-yr after going through a couple of bottles.  I like it better than the 9-yr but not I'd rather have a KC SiB barrel pick for about the same price.  That's just me, though.

I would like to try KC-15 and KC-18, as well as the older Hardin's Creek but not enough to buy the three bottles.  Maybe I'll find them at a bar or maybe I'll have to go back to Clermont.

I haven't always been wowed by KC12 but the other night I sure was.  Then again, I was also wowed by KC9 and KC NAS (just to a lesser extent than I was to KC12).  So maybe it was just a Knob Creek "great palate" kind of night.... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

38 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Found an open Col Taylor in the tube in the cabinet.

20230205_205459.jpg

That's a great feeling and one that I can attest to myself!  A few months ago I was up on the step ladder dusting the upper cabinets in our wine & coffee room and I came across some CETH Small Batch bottles that I had forgotten about.  Score!!! 😃

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.