What rye are you drinking/ purchased 2023

Mattk

21 hours ago, PaulO said:

I opened the KC 7 year Rye.  This is well in my wheelhouse.  🥃😉👍

Currently sipping some of this myself.  I had been mainly making Manhattans with this bottle, but it drinks pretty darn good on its own, too.

• I like it 1

On 10/30/2023 at 7:06 AM, Richnimrod said:

I bough.gt a bottle of 'Last Feather Rye' yesterday from my monger.    It's his private pick from a small in-state (Michigan) distillery (Journeyman), and weighs in at 119.1-proof.    I was able to have a sample before pulling te trigger, so I have some idea what's in the bottle.     The nose is like walking into a working cookie factory.    The palate was (at that tasting) similar and pretty full-bodied; but, a single taste is never adequate, of course.   ...Not sure if the taste-buddies were having a good, bad or indifferent day.       I intend to save it for the Holidays when my baby boy will visit.   

Anybody have experience with this distillate?   ....Or this distillery?  Location: Three Oaks Michigan, in the 'Historic Featherbone Building' (whatever that is); touts its 3-Organic Certifications (USDA, MOSA and Kosher) for what that may be worth.

Well, the Christmas Holiday celebrations are in the rearview mirror, and Gary and his bride have returned to Jaw-Juh.   He and I did indeed open up this barrel-proof craft rye.   To my taste buddies (and Gary's as well, I guess) it wasn't as dynamic as what I recall from the in-store sample I had back in October.    Too bad, I was really looking forward to that.   It was better-than-OK; but, hardly blew my hair back.   The baking spices were there on the nose, and somewhat on the palate as well; but not as distinctive or pronounced as the impression I experienced several weex ago.   I guess I was just 'primed' for it that day or something.   

It's a pretty nice BP rye, and not a bad price for a craft offering; but compared to some of the top-shelf ryes available at similar prices (and some at a little less) it's not quite there . . . yet.   Maybe an indication of possibilities for their stuff in the future?   Or maybe not.    Not sorry I bought it, and I'll enjoy it neat occasionally; but, more likely in a nice Old Fashioned or maybe a Manhattan (if I spring for a bottle of Vermouth), and certainly in a highball with some ginger ale.

I'll try to remember to bring it to Bardstown in April.   Maybe those that show up can offer other opinions.

Edited by Richnimrod
Additional thought... if you can callll it that.

After all these years I finally learned my lesson, and opened this directly over the trashcan. Happy new year brothers and sisters of SB.

20231231_202716.jpg

• I like it 4

3 minutes ago, Mattk said:

After all these years I finally learned my lesson, and opened this directly over the trashcan. Happy new year brothers and sisters of SB.

IMG_2416.jpeg.948df220aaf00aec50380d95febabf9f.jpeg

• I like it 1

Technically still 2023, so this topic has not expired yet.  This was on sale for $49.99 at a local grocery chain.  Just the thing for a crackling fire on a damp winter evening.

IMG_20231231_202816.jpg

• I like it 4

Earlier in the evening (2023, haha), enjoyed WFE Rye & THH.  
Happy New Year

Here is to a great 2024 to all of you. 

Cheers

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Thomm said:

Technically still 2023, so this topic has not expired yet.  This was on sale for $49.99 at a local grocery chain.  Just the thing for a crackling fire on a damp winter evening.

IMG_20231231_202816.jpg

Forget everything you thought you knew about Canadian Whisky.  That stuff is great.  And a little goes a long way.  Careful or you'll travel into the future like Buck Rogers.  🚀

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, PaulO said:

Forget everything you thought you knew about Canadian Whisky.  That stuff is great.  And a little goes a long way.  Careful or you'll travel into the future like Buck Rogers.  🚀

It was delicious, and the high proof caused me to pour into a jigger so I could accurately pace myself. Had a 3 ounce pour and another 1.5 ounces afterward and called it a night, avoiding nasty after-effects this morning.  I'm already planning to get 2 more.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 6:45 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Happy New Year!

20240101_194031.jpg

What are your thoughts on this one?

I picked up a bottle a few months ago on a whim.

I only bought it since it's made about 5 miles from the house where I grew up. I haven't yet opened it.

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

What are your thoughts on this one?

I picked up a bottle a few months ago on a whim.

I only bought it since it's made about 5 miles from the house where I grew up. I haven't yet opened it.

It's a little on the sweet side,(not AE rye sweet), with enough spice to balance that out.   I like it enough that I'll buy another one when it's gone.  I'm not from PA, but I hunt in Bedford, and caught it on sale at the state store.

On 12/1/2023 at 6:34 PM, Kepler said:

I haven't done FRyeday in awhile, so thought I'd fix that.

Leading off with '16 HW Double Rye.  Good stuff.  Happy FRye Day folks! 🥃

The Double Ryes and Rendevous Ryes from 2014-2016 were so good. I'm still Milking what I have left. I also look forward to opening a MWND for Thanksgiving/Christmas every year. I will be sad when I run out. I think they went downhill after Act 6 or 7. Am I missing out on the new bottlings?

On 12/7/2023 at 7:33 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

WTRB 

20231207_194613.jpg

I've never had a Rare Breed Rye. Worth the upgrade from the standard WT101 Rye?

6 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I've never had a Rare Breed Rye. Worth the upgrade from the standard WT101 Rye?

It is to me😉

I don't drink it as often as the 101 rye, but I always have one on hand.

It's a great pour and if you like the 101, you'll love the Rare Breed.  

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2