What rye are you drinking/ purchased 2023

Mattk

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

I have no idea what that is, but it looks quite rare and a special whiskey.  Enjoy -- and happy anniversary!

Thanks.

14 years!

It's a blend of 16+ year Barton and 16+ year MGP rye.

The wifey is a huge HW rye fan, thus why this is our yearly celebratory bottle.

It's quite good.

I'm pondering trying to make it last so that we finish it on our 16th anniversary, but I'm not sure it will make it past next year.

The basic rule is that it only comes out once a year on our anniversary and we can drink as much as we want for the evening.

The bottle gets gassed with argon while in storage and has held up very well since we got it in 2017.

• I like it 2

I went into the bunker and pulled out a WTR 101.  It's really good, maybe better than I remember.  Now I got to keep from pecking away at it, so I can bring it out for Thanksgiving guests.  I'm cooking the whole deal, everything.  🦃

• I like it 1

Just now, PaulO said:

I went into the bunker and pulled out a WTR 101.  It's really good, maybe better than I remember.  Now I got to keep from pecking away at it, so I can bring it out for Thanksgiving guests.  I'm cooking the whole deal, everything.  🦃

WT101 rye > WT101 bourbon

Just sayin.  :)

Love the creamy note I get from it.

• I like it 2

So admittedly, I've done a poor job at drinking  my open bottles up since the last few years when I thought I should focus on that. But I really did give it a go. I am almost there. There were almost 300 when i started. Although  there are plenty more on deck, I will drink these first. I'm almost there. I submit  to you, my opens...

20231119_165343.jpg

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, Mattk said:

So admittedly, I've done a poor job at drinking  my open bottles up since the last few years when I thought I should focus on that. But I really did give it a go. I am almost there. There were almost 300 when i started. Although  there are plenty more on deck, I will drink these first. I'm almost there. I submit  to you, my opens...

20231119_165343.jpg

You went from almost 300 opened to none?  Wow.  Great work 👍

We just saw our youngest son off, he is heading back to Chicago.  He won’t be back next week but hopes to be back for Christmas.  I was great to see him for a few days.  Now just sitting down to a glass of THH and relaxing.

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, markandrex said:

We just saw our youngest son off, he is heading back to Chicago.  He won’t be back next week but hopes to be back for Christmas.  I was great to see him for a few days.  Now just sitting down to a glass of THH and relaxing.

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Sending your baby boy to CHICAGO!?!?!?!?   Goood Gawd!   I hope you do indeed get to see him again.  😱😆😉

17 minutes ago, markandrex said:

It would not have been my pick city but he loves it.  What can you do?  

Ask him to mule Binny's picks.   😜

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Ask him to mule Binny's picks.   😜

Like markandrex needs any help procuring bottles.  🤣

Have you seen the photos.  😵‍💫 

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, Kepler said:

You went from almost 300 opened to none?  Wow.  Great work 👍

Well I had some help from friends...

21 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Sending your baby boy to CHICAGO!?!?!?!?   Goood Gawd!   I hope you do indeed get to see him again.  😱😆😉

Yeah, I tried to warn my eldest. But Dad knows little.

She got mugged. Thankfully, it was the lightest possible mugging. And enough to scare the feces out of her. She no longer lives in Chicago, thank God.

Charlotte suddenly seemed far more attractive.

• I like it 2

A friend gave me a bottle of AE Rye.  I had never had it before because 1.) the price and 2.) finished whiskeys are typically not in my wheelhouse.  

I opened it and gave it a try.  It is pretty solid.  My initial impression is that is better than the standard AE Bourbon.  I doubt I will ever buy a bottle but I am glad I have had a chance to try it.  It will make a great dessert whiskey on Thanksgiving.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

This is a legit rye right here.tge sherry finish is present but not dominant.

I got to try their straight rye last week, and it's also fantastic.

IMG_5081.jpeg

• I like it 3

I enjoyed a healthy pour of AE Rye tonight.  I have read that it is cloyingly sweet.  I am not sure what that exactly means but it has a pecan pie profile.  I get why people think it is a great dessert whiskey.  I like it well enough and certainly more than standard AE bourbon.  However, other than a few instances, I am not a finished whiskey fan.  I want rye whiskey to smack me in the face, kick me in the balls, put a boot up my ass, and then make me want to immediately have a second pour.  This one is not there.  

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

This is a legit rye right here.tge sherry finish is present but not dominant.

I got to try their straight rye last week, and it's also fantastic.

IMG_5081.jpeg

That is one heck of a neck pour.  This picture might become blurry by the time you finish it.

• I like it 1

Decorating the house with the wife.  Technically she is decorating and I’m a glorified pack mule.  AE rye to kick off the Holidays.

image.jpg

• I like it 5

On 11/26/2023 at 4:26 PM, markandrex said:

Decorating the house with the wife.  Technically she is decorating and I’m a glorified pack mule.  AE rye to kick off the Holidays.

image.jpg

First of all, the decorations look great!

I put up the tree and make sure the lights work then I tap out.  My wife puts up the decorations while I drink whiskey and tell her what a great job she is doing.

I enjoyed AE Rye while she decorated the tree yesterday.  I am drinking AE Rye while admiring it tonight.  AE Rye is such a versatile whiskey. 

• I like it 2

Well I just picked this one up and grabbed the other at cost while in Savannah this weekend. The BT can be hit or miss at home. The cup is new as well 😄

Cheers

20231126_130406.jpg

5 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Celebrating a successful Pennsylvania hunt, with a great Pennsylvania rye.

20231128_153327.jpg

Nice glassware!   And generously poured.   Good onya!

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Nice glassware!   And generously poured.   Good onya!

Thanks!   Admittedly....they're pretty small glasses...

I was so close to finishing all my open bottles. I was down to 2. But this jdbpr was just calling to me tonight. So now I have 3 opens again.

20231201_183416.jpg

• I like it 9