What rye are you drinking/ purchased 2023

Mattk

I haven't done FRyeday in awhile, so thought I'd fix that.

Leading off with '16 HW Double Rye.  Good stuff.  Happy FRye Day folks! 🥃

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I haven't done FRyeday in awhile, so thought I'd fix that.

Leading off with '16 HW Double Rye.  Good stuff.  Happy FRye Day folks! 🥃

Happy FRyeday to you Sir. 

Cheers

A8CF1C9F-70E1-4B0C-AC0F-D5F8ADA32CD4.jpeg

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Happy FRyeday to you Sir. 

Cheers

A8CF1C9F-70E1-4B0C-AC0F-D5F8ADA32CD4.jpeg

And to you, sir. 

Come to think of it, that lemon square pour sounds delicious.  I'm following your lead.

WT101 Rye in my glass now.  After this, it will be followed by the lemon square king, WTRB Rye.

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

And to you, sir. 

Come to think of it, that lemon square pour sounds delicious.  I'm following your lead.

WT101 Rye in my glass now.  After this, it will be followed by the lemon square king, WTRB Rye.

Both the WT101 & WTRBR are tasty ryes. Lemon squares sound delicious. I wish I could pick up the lemon on these.  Enjoy. 

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Both the WT101 & WTRBR are tasty ryes. Lemon squares sound delicious. I wish I could pick up the lemon on these.  Enjoy. 

Cheers

Different palates are crazy.  If I think about it, it's all I can taste.  🤷‍♂️😀

And I opened a baby saz tonight. So I'm up to 4 open bottles again. If I'm not careful  this is going to get out of hand again. I still want to try and finish all my opens.

• I like it 1

Finally found a bottle of JD single barrel barrel proof rye.  They don’t last long on the shelf out here though I hear they sit elsewhere.  

Ordered a bottle of scotch and added a bottle of a store pick Smoke Wagon rye to the order.  

• I like it 3

OK, twist my arm. Gonna try this FRyeDay thing.

The cork in the Sagamore came Right out, too easily. Suspicious. We'll see.

That KL KC SP was $32. I'll bet it's a bargain.

FryeDay.jpg

• I like it 3

Vegetal but sweet notes notes early.  Cooling over the palate from a light spearmint tinge.  Cracking spice finish that really amps up the overall impact of this low 80 proof rye.   Very enjoyable.  

64643975-3395-489F-9881-92B1327D9D66.jpeg

• I like it 4

If fishnbowl Joe is the weller whore I must be the rye whore as almost everything I buy or seek is a rye or high rye bourbon and has been for many, many years.  I have been monitoring the JDSBBS ryes since release but hey, I too am a cheap MF’r and with a deep bunker, I’ve no incentive to chase anything. Last week I pulled the trigger on not one but TWO JDSBBP ryes a 127.5 and a 136p. I started with the 127 but FOMO got me as down the street I spyed the higher proof and taterverse was exploding over the hazmat JD rye releases.

I just  did a SBS and both are quite good however, if pressed ,at BP , I prefer the 120 something over the 130 something. 
I now plan to pick up a couple at the distillery next April as I’d like to Taste what the distillery tasters pull vs the store releases. All to say I agree that these are OUTSTANDING ryes and I feel a bit vindicated as I have been a JD fan since the early 80s. I recall many a time being chastised as I ordered a JD neat or WT 101 neat as they ordered a more ( at the time ) prestigious pour, well FU!!! JD makes some damn fine whiskey and as a “ certified rye whore” I heartily recommend these at whatever proof you may find them

( but as a cheap MF’r too…don’t overpay, they will make more !!) Slainte SB brothers and sisters!!

• I like it 9

I am having a large pour of THH before heading out caroling with some on the neighbors.  We have 5 stops planned at a few of the older neighbors, next week we are on to 6 of the newer neighbors.  From there, who knows.  Fortunately, 4 of our participants (1 being my wife), sing with Orchestra Kentucky.  The rest of us can try not to drag them down.  Happy Holidays to all and to all a good night!

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

If fishnbowl Joe is the weller whore I must be the rye whore as almost everything I buy or seek is a rye or high rye bourbon and has been for many, many years.  I have been monitoring the JDSBBS ryes since release but hey, I too am a cheap MF’r and with a deep bunker, I’ve no incentive to chase anything. Last week I pulled the trigger on not one but TWO JDSBBP ryes a 127.5 and a 136p. I started with the 127 but FOMO got me as down the street I spyed the higher proof and taterverse was exploding over the hazmat JD rye releases.

I just  did a SBS and both are quite good however, if pressed ,at BP , I prefer the 120 something over the 130 something. 
I now plan to pick up a couple at the distillery next April as I’d like to Taste what the distillery tasters pull vs the store releases. All to say I agree that these are OUTSTANDING ryes and I feel a bit vindicated as I have been a JD fan since the early 80s. I recall many a time being chastised as I ordered a JD neat or WT 101 neat as they ordered a more ( at the time ) prestigious pour, well FU!!! JD makes some damn fine whiskey and as a “ certified rye whore” I heartily recommend these at whatever proof you may find them

( but as a cheap MF’r too…don’t overpay, they will make more !!) Slainte SB brothers and sisters!!

I too enjoy rye. And thoroughly agree with you. I've had quite a few JDBBPRs. So far I've enjoyed the lower proof ones much more then the super high proof examples.

• I like it 1

I picked up a JD BP yesterday day at the JD bottle shop.  I will admit that since my wife and I were the only ones there,  I ran the racks to  find the highest proof on the shelf (134.6) 🥔

I also want to give a shout out to the JD bonded rye. We went through that bottle faster than any bottle this year. To me, the bonded is a very bourbon drinker friendly rye.20231211_092107.thumb.jpg.ac0d7d4e3ab10f8a9ac89a2e7f8c1fab.jpg

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 6

On 12/11/2023 at 10:25 AM, Davesnothere said:

I picked up a JD BP yesterday day at the JD bottle shop.  I will admit that since my wife and I were the only ones there,  I ran the racks to  find the highest proof on the shelf (134.6) 🥔

I also want to give a shout out to the JD bonded rye. We went through that bottle faster than any bottle this year. To me, the bonded is a very bourbon drinker friendly rye.20231211_092107.thumb.jpg.ac0d7d4e3ab10f8a9ac89a2e7f8c1fab.jpg

Do they have these in 375s at the distillery? I am looking to stop by there isn the spring and rather than 750's I'd rather sample among 375s at different proof points.

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Do they have these in 375s at the distillery? I am looking to stop by there isn the spring and rather than 750's I'd rather sample among 375s at different proof points.

I have not seen the BP rye in 375, but they do have the regular JD BP in 375.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

I have not seen the BP rye in 375, but they do have the regular JD BP in 375.

Thanks, I also love the regular BP so a couple 375s will make for fun SBS tasting and maybe by then they might consider rolling out the ryes in a similar fashion.

4 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Thanks, I also love the regular BP so a couple 375s will make for fun SBS tasting and maybe by then they might consider rolling out the ryes in a similar fashion.

Or, maybe those robber barons at B-F will release in 350s as part of their Shrinkgate!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Nothing going on tonight.  The wife is making a taramisu for her book club party at the house tomorrow.  I will hide in the basement with the pool table and hope for leftovers.  Tonight I am sitting by the tree with a glass of AE rye remembering friends the are gone and reading some Dickens (between posts here). Life is good.  Cheers all!

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Or, maybe those robber barons at B-F will release in 350s as part of their Shrinkgate!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Har, har! 😜

On 12/10/2023 at 2:21 PM, kcgumbohead said:

I think their Rye is the best product that Jack Daniels makes.  Which is crazy ironic.

• I like it 2