What rye are you drinking/ purchased 2023

Mattk

Having a night cap of WTRBR. It is much better tonight, than my last round with the Rye.  It has a bit of a horehound candy meets a caramelish flavor. Then it finishes out with the familiar Wild Turkey spicy tingle. Very nice. I hope my next encounter with this whiskey will be a repeat showing. 
Have a great weekend, SB friends 

Cheers

• I like it 4

KC 7 Rye in a big fat Manhattan over a clear cube in a Four Roses Roly-Poly Rocks glass because I don't own a single Coupe glass and I don't care about the rules.

• I like it 2

57 minutes ago, Thomm said:

KC 7 Rye in a big fat Manhattan over a clear cube in a Four Roses Roly-Poly Rocks glass because I don't own a single Coupe glass and I don't care about the rules.

Doesn't matter if you're drinking it out of a Fred Flintstone jelly jar, (yeah..I'm dating myself here 😄), it's all good!

• I like it 1

I'm going to miss this one  when it's gone... 

20230930_221058.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

Not a purchase but I was kindly gifted a WP piggyback rye this past weekend. I've never tried it but I've heard good things and as I am both a rye and WP fan, I expect I will enjoy it.

• I like it 2

Realized after the fact that I posted in the general what are you drinking thread. The WTr I referred to was of course the rye and I love me some WTr rye!!

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

OF Rye - one of my favorites.  Fall Break for my son, no school tomorrow.  🥳

Disappeared in our area for awhile but now it is back!  We never had Fall Break when I was a kid!

Edited by mbroo5880i

It feels like a fRyeday.

I think I'll make it a turkey fryeday.

WT101R to start off with and I'm eyeing the RRSiB rye after that.

• I like it 3

37 minutes ago, Kepler said:

It feels like a fRyeday.

I think I'll make it a turkey fryeday.

WT101R to start off with and I'm eyeing the RRSiB rye after that.

For my second pour I went with the Rare Breed Rye instead.  Very tasty.  I am getting a definite lemon square note with this like I have read about in reviews.  Spot on.  It's one of those quite addictive notes that just makes you want to go back for more, at least with this palate on this night. Superb.

• I like it 4

10 minutes ago, Kepler said:

For my second pour I went with the Rare Breed Rye instead.  Very tasty.  I am getting a definite lemon square note with this like I have read about in reviews.  Spot on.  It's one of those quite addictive notes that just makes you want to go back for more, at least with this palate on this night. Superb.

Funny, I’ve been told about the lemon notes from WT rye products, but I never can pick it up. Similar to JD products having a banana note, of which I am also immune. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Funny, I’ve been told about the lemon notes from WT rye products, but I never can pick it up. Similar to JD products having a banana note, of which I am also immune. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers

Ya might want to see an ENT about that.

/ jk 😜

27 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Ya might want to see an ENT about that.

/ jk 😜

Maybe…..? Hmmm

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

I never really thought about it.  However, thinking back to my last RB Rye, I can see the lemon note perspective.  

Tonight, I am drinking WTR 101.  I think I am detecting that note or maybe it is the power of suggestion.  Either way, I am now noticing it and I dig it.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I never really thought about it.  However, thinking back to my last RB Rye, I can see the lemon note perspective.  

Tonight, I am drinking WTR 101.  I think I am detecting that note or maybe it is the power of suggestion.  Either way, I am now noticing it and I dig it.

It's present in the 101 too.  Just more noticeable in rare breed.

• I like it 1

Back at rye tonight.  Started with a pour of Alberta Premium Cask Strength.  This rye reminds me of the early WhistlePig Ryes but amped up. It is a spectacular whiskey.  It has almost eliminated the Sunday Night Scaries.

Followed with a pour of WTR 101.  @Kepler has me convinced that Eddie put lemons in the barrel. 😀  I am getting that note again tonight and I dig it.  I am not sh...ing, I feel like I am drinking spiked lemonade.  The power of suggestion is strong.

Now, if only someone would suggest that McDonalds tasted like Ruth Chris, I would be much obliged.  

I don't have any WTRB Rye but I will grab one soon - only when on sale - because I am a Cheap Bastard.  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Followed with a pour of WTR 101.  @Kepler has me convinced that Eddie put lemons in the barrel. 😀  I am getting that note again tonight and I dig it.  I am not sh...ing, I feel like I am drinking spiked lemonade.  The power of suggestion is strong.

Very true about the power of suggestion. I read about it in reviews by Rarebird101 and I thought his "lemon square" tasting notes were odd ... until I poured a WTRB rye for myself and then it hit me like a freight train.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Now, if only someone would suggest that McDonalds tasted like Ruth Chris, I would be much obliged.  

🤣🤣🤣

• I like it 1

On 10/8/2023 at 7:20 PM, Kepler said:

Very true about the power of suggestion. I read about it in reviews by Rarebird101 and I thought his "lemon square" tasting notes were odd ... until I poured a WTRB rye for myself and then it hit me like a freight train.

Well damn if you all didn't make me curious so I poured some WT101 Rye and yep - there it is. Lemon bars.

• I like it 1

Cross-posted on  what did you buy thread but I could not say no to the JDTBHR.

IMG_1078.jpeg

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, markandrex said:

Mail call today.

image0.jpeg

Good for you!  I really like Hard Truth.  I hope to visit their distillery in the next few weeks.  They also have a High Road Rye @ 93 proof that is solid at the proof level and reasonably priced.  A few weeks ago, a friend and my youngest son almost wiped out a whole bottle of High Road in one evening! 😜  

Alberta Premium Cask Strength.  I had to go shoe shopping with my wife after work.  She tried on every pair of black dress shoes they had in the store.  It was over an hour and I easily surfed the entire internet.  She made me pick up pizza for dinner.  Oh ok, that was fine with me.  Started watching the Den-KC game and she was heading off to the bedroom to watch No Demo Reno. I shredded my man card and told her she could watch her show in the family room with me and the dogs.  It doesn't hurt that the host of the show is a hot redhead.  I will catch the second half of the game after a couple of pours.

• I like it 1

That Alberta CS is such good stuff.  Just be careful you don't travel into the future like Buck Rogers.  🥃🫠🚀

• I like it 1

On 10/13/2023 at 11:58 AM, PaulO said:

That Alberta CS is such good stuff.  Just be careful you don't travel into the future like Buck Rogers.  🥃🫠🚀

I am bunkered up.  I believe I have bought 6 bottles total.  Two are gone.  One was emptied shortly after I grabbed them.  Another was emptied when friends came over.  It was a hit with several of us that night!  One friend liked it so well I gave him a bottle.  

Same thing with Hard Truth Sweet Mash High Road Rye.  It has been a hit with family and friends.  It is only 93 proof and a little pricey compared to WTR101 or OFR100.  But, I have found a source selling it in the low $30s.  I don't mind supporting Hard Truth.  They are doing good things and the release of the High Road Rye was an effort to broaden availability since most of their stuff is Cask Strength and in the $60 range.  Even at 93, it is really good. 

Edited by mbroo5880i