Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

3 hours ago, FacePlant said:

OWA? WOW to my palette that's some High Praise. This is a brand that I don't see in the Memphis market except rarely and I don't recall EVER seeing the SiB BP? I guess this is a tough bottle to find anywhere? OK enough question marks. :) 

I believe all of their regular shelf bourbons are bonded and picks are at cask strength. Our recent pick of their wheated bourbon is really good. I tried a shelf bonded wheater early on and thought it was too young, so trending in a positive direction. 

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

This was really good. Very OWA-ish.

20230202_195237.jpg

I thought the Willett 8 year batched wheater was similar to OWA. I tried it from a friend’s bottle, but at its MSRP that was not really a compliment. I’m planning to try  OWA against the Bardstown Bourbon Co Origin 6 year wheater and a Wilderness Trail 6 year bonded wheater once I can track the latter down. The “craft” products are finally getting old enough for more apples to apples comparisons and I think some of them will show quite well. Especially because BBC Origin is actually cheaper than OWA now and Wilderness Trail isn’t crazy pricier although it is more expensive. 

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

I thought the Willett 8 year batched wheater was similar to OWA. I tried it from a friend’s bottle, but at its MSRP that was not really a compliment. I’m planning to try  OWA against the Bardstown Bourbon Co Origin 6 year wheater and a Wilderness Trail 6 year bonded wheater once I can track the latter down. The “craft” products are finally getting old enough for more apples to apples comparisons and I think some of them will show quite well. Especially because BBC Origin is actually cheaper than OWA now and Wilderness Trail isn’t crazy pricier although it is more expensive. 

I wasn't crazy about the Willett Wheated..especially for the price.  I've been looking for the BBC wheater. Haven't tried it yet.

2 hours ago, Fitfarms said:

Solid pour

3DC32F6C-E028-4EBF-B302-98775491CE8F.jpeg

Maybe my favorite under the radar bourbon.  We are lucky to have this one available and at the great msrp. 

• I like it 4

Not an empty bottle, but still worthy of this support group nonetheless.  I broke one of my favorite glencarins, the StraightBourbon.com glencairn glass 😭

Luckily I have a spare.  But from now on I handle this one with extreme care!

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I tried a shelf bonded wheater early on and thought it was too young, so trending in a positive direction.

WiTr: Exactly my impression for the shelfers and what I tried at the distillery - including their 8y.  If their picks are better...then I need to try them and give WiTr another chance.

I have similar feeling about Larceny.  I do not like their regular version, it seems too bitter on the finish.  I loved the recent C922 batch and have liked some of their other BP versions.

I've heard great things about the BBC Wheater, just got a bottle to PR & haven't tried it yet.  I did try the SFTB version on their "thieving the barrel" tour in August.  It was very good.

One of you had tried a blind of OWA vs the BBC Wheater with friends and the BBC won across the board.

• I like it 1

On 2/5/2023 at 5:25 PM, Kepler said:

Maybe my favorite under the radar bourbon.  We are lucky to have this one available and at the great msrp. 

Totally agree.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

Still not my favorite but…. Respect !

It was a solid bottle.

FEB5FC74-6890-4C16-BBDF-79426F433B23.jpeg

Similar to me.. this is one I need to be in the mood for, but when I am, I really dig it.

• I like it 3

On 2/6/2023 at 8:21 AM, Anwalt said:

I've heard great things about the BBC Wheater, just got a bottle to PR & haven't tried it yet.  I did try the SFTB version on their "thieving the barrel" tour in August.  It was very good.

One of you had tried a blind of OWA vs the BBC Wheater with friends and the BBC won across the board.

That wasn't me but I definitely like mine a lot.  I don't know about preferring it to OWA but it has a seriously legit viscosity/mouthfeel.  My first BBC purchase of any kind and it was a good one.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

My last bit of EC12. I've been rationing this for quite some time. If someone with a lot of pull at Heaven Hill is on here, please bring this back!!

D5854D7C-BC90-4FBF-B10D-7DF1C04500B5.jpeg

• I like it 7

2 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

My last bit of EC12. I've been rationing this for quite some time. If someone with a lot of pull at Heaven Hill is on here, please bring this back!!

Sorry for your loss 😔

16 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I too wish they would bring this back or that I could go back in time and bunker some.  Instead, I tried to recreate it by proofing down a couple of batches of ECBP.  After all, it's got the 12 yr age statement.  I made two batches using ECBP C917 and B521 proofing them down to almost exactly 94 proof using the dilution calculator on this page https://americanhomedistillers.com/distilling-calculator/ I don't have any of the old 12yr SB to compare but the results blow away the current NAS ECSB. The C917 batch is quite oaky and the B521 batch is sweeter with more caramel. Both delicious..

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Knocked these two out.  I have plenty of backups for the WRDO (Just look at that color!!) but really am going to miss that 11 year Blue Note.  I hope Blue Note can continue its outstanding output of exceptional bourbon.

IMG_0601.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

• I like it 3

2 bottles hit empty on fill gauge this weekend. WTRR and a Stagg Jr. are no longer in the cabinet and replacements are being requested to help fill in the ranks. 

• I like it 2

I am really going to miss this one.  It was the most perfectly oaked bottle, ever. I've nursed it for nigh on 3 years now, one of the first ones I ever bought via pure, dumb luck.  Finished it Sunday.  That's the sad part of those one-off finds.  Shall I ever see its like again?  I remember thee wistfully....

3Chord 16.jpg

• I like it 6

Well, this was a particularly fine group that is on its way to the whiskey bottle hereafter.  A couple of these were old friends: the CEHT SmB which was as reliable as ever, and the ECBP B518 which delivered the goods as expected for this line of whiskey.  A couple more were new editions of a brand I like a lot: the last bottle of Barrell Batch 031 that I had in stock, which depressed me until I opened my first bottle of Batch 032, and the Barrell Vantage which I also really dug and will buy again.  The last two were new products for me to try, and I feel fortunate to have acquired both of them: the Bardstown Fusion Series #8 (which I have already replaced and have also found a couple of Series #7) and the Calumet Farm 16 yr. which really wowed me.  I have bought another of the Calumet 16 yr., as well as two of the 15 yr. (which is also delicious), and one of the 10 yr. (which I have yet to open).  This line appears to be very much in my current wheelhouse of oak, Oak, OAK!  In summary, this collection was a hell of a sixpack for me. Cheers!

Empty Bottles 022123.jpg

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, Swamp55 said:

Well, this was a particularly fine group that is on its way to the whiskey bottle hereafter.  A couple of these were old friends: the CEHT SmB which was as reliable as ever, and the ECBP B518 which delivered the goods as expected for this line of whiskey.  A couple more were new editions of a brand I like a lot: the last bottle of Barrell Batch 031 that I had in stock, which depressed me until I opened my first bottle of Batch 032, and the Barrell Vantage which I also really dug and will buy again.  The last two were new products for me to try, and I feel fortunate to have acquired both of them: the Bardstown Fusion Series #8 (which I have already replaced and have also found a couple of Series #7) and the Calumet Farm 16 yr. which really wowed me.  I have bought another of the Calumet 16 yr., as well as two of the 15 yr. (which is also delicious), and one of the 10 yr. (which I have yet to open).  This line appears to be very much in my current wheelhouse of oak, Oak, OAK!  In summary, this collection was a hell of a sixpack for me. Cheers!

Nice!  

PS:  I really like the Barrell #32.

Into the bin they go!

Some go-to BIBs, and my 2nd recent JB SiB 108, which has really been surprisingly good. I will be buying more while they are on sale for $29.99.

IMG_4385.JPG

• I like it 3

Made this one last for a few months but it wasn't easy.  Complex, deep and smooth..  Seems to have more caramel apple than the new bottle/label screwtops that I've had.  This bottle was from around 2014/15 when it could be found with a little searching.  I'm glad I have a couple of backups because I haven't seen it available anywhere in at least the last four years..

weller 107 empty.jpg

• I like it 9

Finished this off last night.  It is/was a very good bottle with a few friends lingering in the bunker.

1E64D6CF-B8D3-4E65-8B89-E3E0344C4F1A.jpeg

610DA04F-01F0-4257-A439-C6BC3578906B.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
Punctuation
  • I like it 4