Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

19 hours ago, RT Fan said:

I have been drinking my first glass on the rocks, second one neat. Seems to work for me.

I've been doing the same thing recently.  I often find the first pour unpleasantly hot, even if it's a lower proof bottle.  An ice cube really helps in that case. 

• I like it 2

On 2/5/2023 at 1:45 PM, Jazz June said:

I believe all of their regular shelf bourbons are bonded and picks are at cask strength. Our recent pick of their wheated bourbon is really good. I tried a shelf bonded wheater early on and thought it was too young, so trending in a positive direction. 

@Jazz June @Clueby @Anwalt

I can confirm that the Wilderness Trail wheater bottle to buy is the barrel strength private pick.

I wasn't impressed with the BiB single barrel bottle much.  It's solid (being generous here) but too young for the $50ish price.

OTOH, the  BP store pick is noticeably better.  At $70 it's still not a good value, but I'm actually more okay with paying $70 for a nice-tasting whiskey ... versus paying $50 for something that is "okay" or actually sub-par depending on my palate at the time.

As always YMMV.  But I would personally consider buying the private pick barrel again, whereas I will not be buying another of their BiB standard version, at least unless or until it get aged longer.

WTrail_Wheated_BiB_SiB_20230226.jpeg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

I've moved over 400 bottles, mainly from States to PR.  Lost my first one today.  Brought 20 bottles in 4 suitcases to Paris for various buddies over here.  I pack very carefully.  An ECBP C922 was shattered - just completely shredded, not sure how that happened.  I thankfully stocked up on those.  Gotta figure out how to get another one over here.

First World Problems.

• I like it 1

Bottle kills since about Christmas time. A few were cracked and finished, most were of various fill levels.

2E6C3D7E-F400-4204-B46A-DDBEA9C6B533.thumb.jpeg.30b318da969b4a9f9e94735b6c22c7a3.jpeg

• I like it 8

The final pour was amazing. Nursed this bottle for over three years. On to the next MK chapter. 

02C89DAE-DB3E-4644-954B-55057A9F64BE.jpeg

• I like it 12

On 2/28/2023 at 3:27 AM, Anwalt said:

I've moved over 400 bottles, mainly from States to PR.  Lost my first one today.  Brought 20 bottles in 4 suitcases to Paris for various buddies over here.  I pack very carefully.  An ECBP C922 was shattered - just completely shredded, not sure how that happened.  I thankfully stocked up on those.  Gotta figure out how to get another one over here.

First World Problems.

As you know my love for C922, that is a damn shame. Glad that you have more!!

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, Grady330 said:

As you know my love for C922, that is a damn shame. Glad that you have more!!

Your kind condolences are accepted in the spirit offered. Thank you!

• I like it 2

Finally finished a store pick ECBP.  Fortunately its cousin was waiting n the background.  Out with the old, in with the new.

ecbp mpty.jpg

• I like it 8

Haven't been in here since the Super Bowl.  Missed the discussions but duty called.  No pictures but my last two empties were Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select and Knob Creek 9 Small Batch.  Really enjoyed both.  Sipping on Four Roses Small Batch Select at the moment.  I have residences in Mississippi and Florida.  My bourbon finds are in Florida more so than Mississippi.  I make the runs and come back with 10 or so bottles, some new and some backups.  I appreciate seeing all the empties in here as they give me ideas for new adventures.  Cheers!

• I like it 5

15 hours ago, Jummy D. said:

Haven't been in here since the Super Bowl.  Missed the discussions but duty called.  No pictures but my last two empties were Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select and Knob Creek 9 Small Batch.  Really enjoyed both.  Sipping on Four Roses Small Batch Select at the moment.  I have residences in Mississippi and Florida.  My bourbon finds are in Florida more so than Mississippi.  I make the runs and come back with 10 or so bottles, some new and some backups.  I appreciate seeing all the empties in here as they give me ideas for new adventures.  Cheers!

While vacationing in FL,  we found a small liquor store that has fantastic picks.   Inlet Harbor Lounge & Liquors is  in Rivera Beach , right before you cross the bridge to Singer Island.   They let you "try before you buy"  and we tried several.  The Knob Creek and Angels Envy, in particular, were excellent and fairly priced.   I ended up taking a couple bottles of Angel's Envy home.   Had we driven, I would've snagged some of the Knob Creek too.   They had  a very good selection of picks.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

“My that’s a big one…” my 1.75L Willett bites the dust. Another must have in the liquor cabinet. Since VW, Weller, et al have become unobtanium, Willett, 4 Roses Single barrel & Angel Envy have become my starting lineup with Woodford, Larceny and a rotating cast of characters for support. 

3867CF48-2A67-4D05-977E-113FC1A36083.jpeg

• I like it 5

These four selflessly gave their all in the service of my 100-proof blind shootout.  I poured sample bottles of 7 low-priced 100-proofers for comparison (KC9, WT101, OF 100, Coopers Craft, ET BIB, EW BIB, and Kirkland (Barton) BiB) along with a more expensive bottle (Remus VI) as a ringer to see how I rank them.  I intend to blind them 3 times over a couple of weeks (3/4 oz each time) so I don't have to rely on a single night's palate.  I haven't decided if I will split them up into two groups of 4, or do them all taste-and-spit, or some combination.  I'm looking forward to this one!

4ermpties.jpg

• I like it 10

7 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

These four selflessly gave their all in the service of my 100-proof blind shootout.  I poured sample bottles of 7 low-priced 100-proofers for comparison (KC9, WT101, OF 100, Coopers Craft, ET BIB, EW BIB, and Kirkland (Barton) BiB) along with a more expensive bottle (Remus VI) as a ringer to see how I rank them.  I intend to blind them 3 times over a couple of weeks (3/4 oz each time) so I don't have to rely on a single night's palate.  I haven't decided if I will split them up into two groups of 4, or do them all taste-and-spit, or some combination.  I'm looking forward to this one!

4ermpties.jpg

I look forward to the results.

• I like it 1

The two SB selected HHSS bottles are great whiskies, and the confluence of several events and people that made it happen are so memorable, when thinking back to that time.  Heaven Hill was so supportive of SB by providing the best of the best.  While finishing this bottle of a Barrel #2 brings back wonderful memories of those heady times, I am also sad to see it go…

B1D7A80B-C27F-4B76-913F-ECF758A5E743.jpeg

• I like it 7

On 3/10/2023 at 7:20 PM, Anwalt said:

I look forward to the results.

Same here!

We picked up this one last summer from Port Royal Liquors in Spring Hill. We've been sipping on it since Thanksgiving.  We're not big fans of the SmB, but this SiB is fantastic. We still have one more in the bunker.

20230313_181643.jpg

• I like it 3

On 2/28/2023 at 2:27 AM, Anwalt said:

I pack very carefully.  An ECBP C922 was shattered - just completely shredded, not sure how that happened.

That sucks.  I've always wondered about flat sided bottles (like EC, Woodford, etc) ... whether they are as strong as round cylindrical bottles.  On paper the rectangular shape should be more prone to breakage, but for all I know the bottle manufacturers make up for this with reinforcements in key areas of the glass ... but I wonder.  It is definitely easier to pack round bottles because of so many options on the market designed for wine bottles.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

I'm halfway through a dry month, so nothing lately.  But I emptied these last month.  The Baker's SiB was as good as ever.

The brown rice Harvest was nothing more than a curiosity.  Very sweet and nothing off-putting.  Just kind of one dimensional.  Not unlike a straight wheat whiskey I suppose.

20230313_194437.thumb.jpg.1adf6742859c3b3f70861a965d473e83.jpg

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

That sucks.  I've always wondered about flat sided bottles (like EC, Woodford, etc) ... whether they are as strong as round cylindrical bottles.  On paper the rectangular shape should be more prone to breakage, but for all I know the bottle manufacturers make up for this with reinforcements in key areas of the glass ... but I wonder.  It is definitely easier to pack round bottles because of so many options on the market designed for wine bottles.

A friend at the airlines mentioned another option: Long depressurization.  This was the longest trip I've transported booze on.  Any flaw in the bottle would be more likely to show.

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

A friend at the airlines mentioned another option: Long depressurization.  This was the longest trip I've transported booze on.  Any flaw in the bottle would be more likely to show.

May explain why it was completely shattered rather than just broken. Given how you pack (witnessed it get unpacked, but that is part of another story:D) I doubt if it would even have a chance of getting broken because of a direct hit.

• I like it 1