Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

Lost a ECBP C922 today and a David Nicholson 1843 yesterday. Sad couple days. Thank God for the bunker !!!

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, Grady330 said:

Lost a ECBP C922 today and a David Nicholson 1843 yesterday. Sad couple days. Thank God for the bunker !!!

Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all... 

• I like it 3

Here's the latest troops to have served their duties well, to the last drops.  All of these were very fine representations of the distiller's art, and were fully enjoyed by myself and my better half.  The four on the left I have been able to restock with reasonable regularity, but the two on the right have become problematic on the supply front.  The Stagg Jr. in the pic is an oldie, Batch 10, which I have been nursing for a good while.  It was one that, frankly, I wasn't crazy about originally, but that seemed to get progressively better over time, with the last pours being outstanding.  (I suspect that I have changed more than the whiskey over this time period, but that is a subject for a different thread.)  I do have one bottle left (a Batch 12), but haven't seen any more of this anywhere in some time.  Bummer.  And, the JJB used to be part of my regular rotation of pours, but now it seems to be available nowhere that I shop (local or online).  I am down to the final bottle of this, and it will have to become a special pour now.  Fortunately, I have found quite a few other new candidates for the rotation, so I will survive...somehow!

Empty Bottles 042423.jpg

• I like it 8

18 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

The four on the left I have been able to restock with reasonable regularity,

You're lucky you can put WA107 into that category.  I haven't been able to get any since at least 2017.  It occasionally pops up on local LS's web sites but sells out in seconds due to people using bots to snatch it up...

18 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

Here's the latest troops to have served their duties well, to the last drops.  All of these were very fine representations of the distiller's art, and were fully enjoyed by myself and my better half.  The four on the left I have been able to restock with reasonable regularity, but the two on the right have become problematic on the supply front.  The Stagg Jr. in the pic is an oldie, Batch 10, which I have been nursing for a good while.  It was one that, frankly, I wasn't crazy about originally, but that seemed to get progressively better over time, with the last pours being outstanding.  (I suspect that I have changed more than the whiskey over this time period, but that is a subject for a different thread.)  I do have one bottle left (a Batch 12), but haven't seen any more of this anywhere in some time.  Bummer.  And, the JJB used to be part of my regular rotation of pours, but now it seems to be available nowhere that I shop (local or online).  I am down to the final bottle of this, and it will have to become a special pour now.  Fortunately, I have found quite a few other new candidates for the rotation, so I will survive...somehow!

Empty Bottles 042423.jpg

That had to be fun to create!!!!!!!!!!! Good Job.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

You're lucky you can put WA107 into that category.  I haven't been able to get any since at least 2017.  It occasionally pops up on local LS's web sites but sells out in seconds due to people using bots to snatch it up...

I have only been able to acquire the occasional bottle of OWA (1 to 2 bottles a year) because of a customer loyalty program that I am in with a liquor store chain down here.  Other than through that program, I have found that OWA is a complete unicorn around here, as well.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Very impressive traffic this evening, @Swamp55. I have only a lone soldier, but more to follow of course.

Pat

20230427_191834.jpg

I love those old crossed wheat W12.  It was probably under $50 for the 1.75 and so smooth.  Nice pour by the way in a beer glass.  Enjoy!

• I like it 3

On 4/28/2023 at 8:18 AM, VWIndy said:

I love those old crossed wheat W12.  It was probably under $50 for the 1.75 and so smooth.  Nice pour by the way in a beer glass.  Enjoy!

Yes, the last W12 handle I bought was $38, and the price had just gone up. I remember laughing with the LS owner at my good fortune. I still have a couple of them. I also have some Weller Antique and Special Reserve in the old-style bottle, including the WA107 paper-labeled bottle. I actually haven't bought any Wellers in the newer style bottle yet. I am a late adopter apparently. 

Like most SB folks, I have a shit ton of appropriate glass ware for bourbon and scotch, but on occasion I simply reach for the 4R tumblers for hell of it. Besides, I like the 4R logo.

Pat

• I like it 2

Larceny, this is one I run hot and cold with. Sometimes I think it is an excellent QPR and other times it just strikes me as meh. On a rainy cold evening, it hit the spot. Therefore I am voting to replenish this bottle on my trip to Maine in a few weeks with the obligatory pit stop at the New Hampshire Liquor store on the way home. 

5F4DE371-DF24-4065-A82C-1056037059B5.jpeg

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, RT Fan said:

Larceny, this is one I run hot and cold with. Sometimes I think it is an excellent QPR and other times it just strikes me as meh. On a rainy cold evening, it hit the spot. Therefore I am voting to replenish this bottle on my trip to Maine in a few weeks with the obligatory pit stop at the New Hampshire Liquor store on the way home. 

5F4DE371-DF24-4065-A82C-1056037059B5.jpeg

They have it at Bottlehampton in Southampton. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Grady330 said:

They have it at Bottlehampton in Southampton. 

New York or Bermuda???   🤩

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

New York or Bermuda???   🤩

NY  !!

Knob Creek 12 year cask strength.  I really liked this bottle, it reminded me of some honey barrels from years past.

ED015003-8E10-4302-A1AF-E72F50F6E77E.jpeg

• I like it 7

11 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Knob Creek 12 year cask strength.  I really liked this bottle, it reminded me of some honey barrels from years past.

This is one bottle that I would really love to try, but has eluded me so far in my search.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

This is one bottle that I would really love to try, but has eluded me so far in my search.

I think the KC 12 CS must have had limited distribution.  I never saw or heard of any making it to Calif. 

• I like it 1

On 5/2/2023 at 1:03 PM, fosmith said:

I think the KC 12 CS must have had limited distribution.  I never saw or heard of any making it to Calif. 

Sorry Smitty; ^^^ This is just sad! It's really a good one...

Just finished a BBC Origin high rye. It is a very nice low proofer for that type rotation.

The Bad: No neck pour to evaluate. More like shoulder pour. Damn BBC bottles... 🤪

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Sorry Smitty; ^^^ This is just sad! It's really a good one...

😢 Yep!  When I heard they were releasing a cask strength KC 12yr, I was really hoping I could get one.  I imagine it would have been similar to the 25th anniversary releases, which were great. 

BTW, I haven't heard the nickname Smitty in ages.  When I was a kid, people used to call my dad that all the time.  Brings back memories.  He died too young in his mid 60s...

Edited by fosmith
  • I like it 2

On 5/1/2023 at 10:00 PM, Jazz Nut said:

On 5/2/2023 at 9:18 AM, JakeySnakes said:

On 5/2/2023 at 1:03 PM, fosmith said:

Me neither.  I never saw it nor even heard of anybody seeing it.

• I like it 1

For this year's Kentucky Derby pour I bid adeieu to my 90's RHF annual Derby day bottle.  I have only about 3 ounces left after this pour, so I transferred to sample bottles to go into my archive (for future comparison tastings mostly).

Meanwhile the old soldier hands Derby Day duty over to its younger brethren.  I'm in good hands moving forward!

20230506_153105.thumb.jpg.a6378832846717ec52c03713b18387af.jpg

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

😢 Yep!  When I heard they were releasing a cask strength KC 12yr, I was really hoping I could get one.  I imagine it would have been similar to the 25th anniversary releases, which were great. 

BTW, I haven't heard the nickname Smitty in ages.  When I was a kid, people used to call my dad that all the time.  Brings back memories.  He died too young in his mid 60s...

If I could venture a guess, I would say that it is a military reference. I know that it is with me as I hung out with a Smitty when I was stationed overseas; Smitty from Saginaw, MI... My Dad talked of a Smitty when he was in the Air Force during the Korean Conflict... 

Anecdote: When I was a squad leader in GA, I had 3 Smiths attached to my squad. I called them Big Smith, Little Smith & Black Smith. Big Smith was 6'4", Little Smith about 5'6" and of course Black Smith was Afro-American. There were no racist implications given, nor none taken. Life was so much easier then...

• I like it 2