Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

That sucks.  I've always wondered about flat sided bottles (like EC, Woodford, etc) ... whether they are as strong as round cylindrical bottles.  On paper the rectangular shape should be more prone to breakage, but for all I know the bottle manufacturers make up for this with reinforcements in key areas of the glass ... but I wonder.  It is definitely easier to pack round bottles because of so many options on the market designed for wine bottles.

I use Wine Wings, (do a search on Amazon...not sure about the links posting rules)   They're ~ $20.00 for a 4-pack     A pilot designed them.  Triple sealed, bubble wrapped w/ziplocks & velcro.   I use them everytime I fly with bottles in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  Some of the wider bottom bottles don't fit, like JDSBBP & Old Elk, but most "standard" sized bottles do.  I've used them on overseas & cross-country flights, (been doing so for years), and haven't lost a patient yet.  In fairness to @Anwalt , I haven't flown the same volume of bottles as he has.    Hard sided luggage helps.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Obree said:

Given how you pack (witnessed it get unpacked, but that is part of another story:D) I doubt if it would even have a chance of getting broken because of a direct hit.

Yeah, I try to pack such that if the Russians shoot down the plane, at least the bourbon will make it.  Seems like a proper prioritization. 

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I use Wine Wings

I used something very similar for some of the bottles. 

In addition, I use and prefer the wine bottle protection bags with the air pump such as the Kivsty ones.  They seem to provide more protection & cushioning.  They are cheap - and they need to be, as they are semi-disposable.  After a while they tend to pop cells, lose air, etc.  The fit more varieties of bottle than the Wine Wings.

Granted, the one that blew up was one of the Kivsty-style and not the Wine Wing-style one.  But I really do believe it was lack of air pressure and a flawed bottle.  Nothing else had issues and they were all similarly packed.

I did have to pay to dry clean daughter's brand new coat that it was wrapped in.  She did not appreciate my comments as to "but it smells so good".

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, Obree said:

(witnessed it get unpacked, but that is part of another story:D)

I thought our procedure quite efficient.

I'll relay the whole story, gotta get through some work events this week & Monday.

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

I thought our procedure quite efficient.

I'll relay the whole story, gotta get through some work events this week & Monday.

All the time in the world..... take it easy!

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Anwalt said:

A friend at the airlines mentioned another option: Long depressurization.  This was the longest trip I've transported booze on.  Any flaw in the bottle would be more likely to show.

Interesting.  Even more reason to distrust slab sided bottles like the new EC and WR.  They are inherently a weaker design than round bottles.

• I like it 3

Will be turning 70 and retiring next month. In that spirit, I am continuing a bunker beatdown given that I have enough to burn through for the next decade. Ha.

The largest portion of my bunker was acquired 10+ years ago. I always knew that one day I would eventually have the time to slowly work my way through the inventory.

Finished off my last 4Roses 2013 small batch limited release, and a Beam Rye 90 that was just waiting in the corner to be released.

Pat

thumbnail_20230315_151758 (1).jpg

thumbnail_20230315_151735.jpg

• I like it 18

On 3/12/2023 at 12:46 PM, smokinjoe said:

The two SB selected HHSS bottles are great whiskies, and the confluence of several events and people that made it happen are so memorable, when thinking back to that time.  Heaven Hill was so supportive of SB by providing the best of the best.  While finishing this bottle of a Barrel #2 brings back wonderful memories of those heady times, I am also sad to see it go…

B1D7A80B-C27F-4B76-913F-ECF758A5E743.jpeg

I have one of these left and it is in a safe place so I don't rink it too fast.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I have one of these left and it is in a safe place so I don't rink it too fast.

About what year was this bottled?

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

About what year was this bottled?

2014ish I believe without going to check the bottle.

1 minute ago, flahute said:

2014ish I believe without going to check the bottle.

Close enough, thanks.  Sounds delicious

Killed another bottle of an Ezra Brooks Distiller's Collection store pick.  I took a picture to attach here and when I went to save it I saw I already had a picture with the filename I chose so I must have posted it when I finished the LAST bottle.

• I like it 3

On 3/21/2023 at 12:35 AM, Clueby said:

It was a really Monday-ish Monday.

20230320_220325.jpg

Show off! 😀

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

20230325_194232.jpg

You could have done 40 year roll back and just killed the bottle without getting a glass dirty.  But, I get it.  MM101 didn't exist back then and you are more mature now.  But, still...it would have been fun!

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, markandrex said:

A couple of this week’s empties.  And it’s only Tuesday!

6A980BE2-9B77-4DB6-A97D-E6F6234605F4.jpeg

B3BD4A2B-6CD4-4D83-8AEC-4CF89351395A.jpeg

I love the RR 10 year SiB.

I don't love how the price has been creeping up over the past couple of years.

It's one of the few that I kinda/sorta hoard and buy when I find it for a good price.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love the RR 10 year SiB.

I don't love how the price has been creeping up over the past couple of years.

It's one of the few that I kinda/sorta hoard and buy when I find it for a good price.

Preaching to the choir brother!

• I like it 1

48 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Preaching to the choir brother!

My Mom saw some at the package store, (at the Amphib base in Little Creek, VA),  for $49.99.   A few years ago that would've been a hard pass.   Now?   I had her grab me a couple.   At least it's tax-free. 😏     

• I like it 2

Old school "straight from the bottle" kill😁

I'm headed to New Orleans tomorrow with Mom for a few days to check it off of her  bucket list, so the "no alchohol during the week" rule has been rescinded for the next few days😉

20230329_181149.jpg

• I like it 2

I have been on a dry spell since February, no real reason really, just sounded good to flush out the system.  Hope to rejoin y’all soon. 
Anyway, before my hiatus, finished off a Willett Pot Still SiB, WTKS PS & WB Saffell. The Saffell and the Kentucky Spirit were excellent as expected.  The Pot Still was different. No cardboard, but definitely an earthy note. One might even say barnyard. 
:-))

Cheers

• I like it 1