What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Is that the 2016 release?  If so, I didn't have the pleasure of scoring my own bottle, but I did have a couple pours at a local bar, and it was an amazing dram.  Cheers sir 🥃

Mrs. Clueby and I just finished the last 2 pours of our 2016 hazmat GTS on Christmas day.  It was a father's day gift from my daughter in 2017. Probably my favorite GTS ever.

• I like it 4

Continuing the bunker culling. Opened the Jefferson's Presidential 18 Yr this evening and will open the 21 Yr next (tonight, tomorrow, who knows).

I bought these in 2013/2014. Just before I opened the 18 Yr this evening, I did a search on SB for comments on either of the two. Looking at posts from 2013, and most folks who posted are no longer active, but a few still are. Hadn't seen Squire's face in a while; he posted a few thoughts on JP. 

Pat

image.thumb.jpeg.fbe0ca6d5b5937aff6ad27996a903012.jpeg

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Continuing the bunker culling. Opened the Jefferson's Presidential 18 Yr this evening and will open the 21 Yr next (tonight, tomorrow, who knows).

I bought these in 2013/2014. Just before I opened the 18 Yr this evening, I did a search on SB for comments on either of the two. Looking at posts from 2013, and most folks who posted are no longer active, but a few still are. Hadn't seen Squire's face in a while; he posted a few thoughts on JP. 

Pat

Update: I opened the 21 Yr after posting, and have enjoyed several drams. I actually like this stuff. Hmmm.

• I like it 3

Some true unicorns Pat. 
Were you surprised you liked em? Looks like the 18 says aged in SW barrels. Do you know where it was distilled?

17 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Some true unicorns Pat. 
Were you surprised you liked em? Looks like the 18 says aged in SW barrels. Do you know where it was distilled?

Well, I was surprised that I liked them as much as I did, as there was a lot of banter online when I bought them about marketing gimmicks. The SW barrel aging was particularly viewed by some as less than meaningful, but I wanted to buy them anyway. Ha.

The 18 Yr was distilled in Kentucky, but I don't know the actual distiller. 

• I like it 1

If I remember the story correctly, I was told that this was “bottom of the barrel” Stitzel Weller juice that was sold to Seagrams for blending into Seagrams 7.

Hard to believe than any S-W juice would go unused and age 18 years.  Even harder to think that they were using it to blend in Seagrams 7.  Makes me feel a little better about pounding 7&7 back in the day:}

It sat in the warehouse unused and was purchased by JO.  

They hit a home run right out of the shoot and have never been able to replicate it since then IMNSHO.

Enjoy

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, VWIndy said:

If I remember the story correctly, I was told that this was “bottom of the barrel” Stitzel Weller juice that was sold to Seagrams for blending into Seagrams 7.

Hard to believe than any S-W juice would go unused and age 18 years.  Even harder to think that they were using it to blend in Seagrams 7.  Makes me feel a little better about pounding 7&7 back in the day:}

It sat in the warehouse unused and was purchased by JO.  

They hit a home run right out of the shoot and have never been able to replicate it since then IMNSHO.

Enjoy

I don't know that it actually was SW juice; the marketing was that it was aged in SW barrels. You may be correct; I don't know. Regardless, thanks for your input. You have been around longer than most, with a lower posting ratio than even me, which is pretty darn low. Ha :))

15 hours ago, VWIndy said:

7&7was my gateway drug (also back in the day).  Started with 7&7, then 7& soda, then bourbon& soda, then bourbon & water, then bourbon & ice.  Didn't really start drinking neat til my trip to KY in 2019.

• I like it 1

The facts in this are a little sketchy. From what I can remember, even though I have CRS, these supposed SW barrels were purchased by Seagrams/Diageo to be used for Crown Royal. I’m not sure if the barrels were actually shipped to Canada, or if they got lost in the shuffle somewhere along the line. Time passed, and the barrels were “rediscovered”.  Trey Zoeller/Jefferson’s purchased the barrels and the rest as they say, is history. I had two or three bottles of the Jefferson’s 17. They were fantastic. I bought a Jefferson’s 18 when it was first released. I didn’t think it was near as good as the Jeff 17.  IIRC, this was discussed by a few of us at one of our get togethers in Bardstown. Most agreed that the Jeff 17 was the better of the two. As for the barrels being SW distillate, I believe some time later the question arose as to whether these were SW barrels, or barrels aged at SW. Who knows? 🤔  I never bought another Jefferson’s after the Jeff 18. However, I received a bottle of the Ocean as a Xmas gift in 2022. My American Legion Post also has the regular Jefferson’s on the shelf. A double pour for $6.00. 😋  Anyway, that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. 🤞

• I like it 5

A local store here had a tasting a couple years ago of a JPS18 that was a single barrel pick that said something like "Bottled specifically for 'x'" and also had the "aged in SW barrel" stated on it. Wherever it was distilled, it was delicious with a distinct buttered popcorn note to it.

• I like it 2

If I recall the story correctly, SW stopped distilling in 1992, but the warehouses continued to be used, and are still being used.

• I like it 1

On 1/4/2024 at 5:49 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

Pat

Oh! These are really great.

• I like it 1

This is one of those cases where I just sort of forgot about a bottle until I was rummaging in the bunker for something interesting to open today for my wife and me.  The Stagg Jr. Batch 12 (Summer '19) had been sitting there patiently waiting for me to notice it for the last couple of years or so.  I don't know what took me so long to get to this one, but it made for a nice surprise treat this fine Friday afternoon!

Initial thoughts after starting to sip:  yep, this is a blockbuster bourbon, alright.  Remarkably viscous mouthfeel and intensity of flavor.  And, that proof (132.3) provides a heck of a "hug" even after just the first couple of sips.  This glass is going to be considered and appreciated for a bit longer period of time than my first pour of the day usually commands.  (BTW, the wife's initial reaction was a wide-eyed "Wow!" followed by a contented smile.  I do love that woman!)

Stagg Jr 12.jpg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Swamp55 said:

This is one of those cases where I just sort of forgot about a bottle until I was rummaging in the bunker for something interesting to open today for my wife and me.  The Stagg Jr. Batch 12 (Summer '19) had been sitting there patiently waiting for me to notice it for the last couple of years or so.  I don't know what took me so long to get to this one, but it made for a nice surprise treat this fine Friday afternoon!

Initial thoughts after starting to sip:  yep, this is a blockbuster bourbon, alright.  Remarkably viscous mouthfeel and intensity of flavor.  And, that proof (132.3) provides a heck of a "hug" even after just the first couple of sips.  This glass is going to be considered and appreciated for a bit longer period of time than my first pour of the day usually commands.  (BTW, the wife's initial reaction was a wide-eyed "Wow!" followed by a contented smile.  I do love that woman!)

Didn't that Stagg Jr. batch 12 "win" Breaking Bourbon's bourbon of the year?  Whatever, it was crazy good.  And, in 2019, I could still find SJR at msrp with a moderate effort.  Those days are gone, sadly... 

• I like it 1

Cracked a bottle of WT101 last night.  

Ever since reading the "how many open bottles" thread, I've been making a concerted effort to concentrate on open bottles....and I tried with a pour of MM101.....but when you get that WT101 itch, nothing else will scratch it...

• I like it 2

Opened the KC18 last night and SBS against the B13. They were different but similar. The KC was sweet oak and baking spices. Had a great nose and a lingering finish. Was a bit "simple" but did taste older. The Baker's was a lot more lively with some fruit and had some of the Beam nuttiness. It drank hotter than it's 7 proof points difference. 

I described it as the KC is a sipping whiskey with a fireplace, cigars, and old leather chairs while the Baker's reminded me of a high end poker night. Not sure it made sense to the SB'r I described it to but that's what popped in my head.

I preferred the KC last night but it wasn't a wide margin.

20240112_193028.jpg

• I like it 8

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

Opened the KC18 last night and SBS against the B13. They were different but similar. The KC was sweet oak and baking spices. Had a great nose and a lingering finish. Was a bit "simple" but did taste older. The Baker's was a lot more lively with some fruit and had some of the Beam nuttiness. It drank hotter than it's 7 proof points difference. 

I described it as the KC is a sipping whiskey with a fireplace, cigars, and old leather chairs while the Baker's reminded me of a high end poker night. Not sure it made sense to the SB'r I described it to but that's what popped in my head.

20240112_193028.jpg

Oh, great idea for a side-by-side -- I wonder how much the "neck pour" phenomenon played in to your evaluation of the KC18 and whether you might have a different experience a month from now? I'll definitely do this same sbs after I crack my Baker's 13. (Outside of the Calumet Reserve 14-15-16 series, the only really aged stuff I have is Beam -- these two, Hardin's Creek 211, and Little Book 7.)

Been awhile since I've opened one of these.

Prost!!  Phil 

20240114_134050.jpg

• I like it 9

2 hours ago, stevegoz said:

Oh, great idea for a side-by-side -- I wonder how much the "neck pour" phenomenon played in to your evaluation of the KC18 and whether you might have a different experience a month from now? I'll definitely do this same sbs after I crack my Baker's 13. (Outside of the Calumet Reserve 14-15-16 series, the only really aged stuff I have is Beam -- these two, Hardin's Creek 211, and Little Book 7.)

Wasn't my idea for the sbs. That credit goes to @0895.

• I like it 3

On 1/14/2024 at 10:44 AM, Phil T said:

Prost!!  Phil 

20240114_134050.jpg

I happened upon a couple of those a while back at a small local LS.  First taste I thought, "this is like drinking current ECSB with a Werther's caramel in your mouth."

• I like it 2

Back in PR after a lot of travel. I tend not to drink much bourbon when I'm not home. I should probably pack some of those little 2-ounce bottles. Anyhow, one a GTS in a lottery for MSRP. I have to say...it's gooooooood. I really, really was blown away. I could not believe the proof. It drinks well below it.

Got the OF10 for a bit about MSRP. Was "meh" at first. It really opened after a few hours. Going to let that bottle sit for a month or so and come back to it.

I thought the LB7 was an excellent blend. I liked it way better than the LB6. Still trying to sort out the flavors. The single malt is definitely present.

GTS etc.jpg

• I like it 10

On 1/24/2024 at 1:29 PM, Anwalt said:

Back in PR after a lot of travel. I tend not to drink much bourbon when I'm not home. I should probably pack some of those little 2-ounce bottles. Anyhow, one a GTS in a lottery for MSRP. I have to say...it's gooooooood. I really, really was blown away. I could not believe the proof. It drinks well below it.

Got the OF10 for a bit about MSRP. Was "meh" at first. It really opened after a few hours. Going to let that bottle sit for a month or so and come back to it.

I thought the LB7 was an excellent blend. I liked it way better than the LB6. Still trying to sort out the flavors. The single malt is definitely present.

GTS etc.jpg

Welcome back! We missed you.

• I like it 2

On 1/14/2024 at 12:44 PM, Phil T said:

Prost!!  Phil 

20240114_134050.jpg

No matter how long it's been, it's always an event anytime one of those is cracked open.  Enjoy!  👏

• I like it 1

On 1/13/2024 at 3:34 PM, Clueby said:

20240112_193028.jpg

I love your tasting notes -- very descriptive.   I can see and understand the points you are conveying, almost as if I were tasting them myself ... which is always the objective! 

• I like it 1