What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

A new year calls for a new special bottle to be opened.  '17 THH for me.

Happy new year SBers

20230101_221319.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 21

• Kepler changed the title to What bottle did you open today? - 2023

In keeping with "Dry January", I DID NOT OPEN any of my OGD BIBs.  Uh, they in the trunk of my car, and I'm too lazy to walk out there.  SO!  In keeping to Dry Jan in spirit, I have RESOLVED to DRINK NO OGD BIB in January.

So, I opened an EWW (Evan Wms White label BIB) instead.  This is really good - some pepper and spice, a sweetness closer to sugar than caramel which is OK, and a classic bourbon wood note.  I betcha it'd be better if I put some in a glass instead of sipping out of the bottle while Penn State battles Utah.  Maybe if I put it in a paper bag . . .🤣

• I like it 9

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I betcha it'd be better if I put some in a glass instead of sipping out of the bottle while Penn State battles Utah.  Maybe if I put it in a paper bag . . .🤣

That's what I love about this place - Old School!

Just returned to PR.  After being in Ohio for an extra 5 days (Southwest), a delayed flight back, etc., we are finally home. Having a little pour much later than normal while unpacking what we muled.  Kind of like a kid on Christmas.  It would seem that BBC bottles "self open" a bit & spring a leak if you drop them an inch or two onto something hard (ask me how I know).  I figured that was a sign & went with it. The bottle was whispering "me! me!".

BBC Founders Stout.jpg

• I like it 7

Two of these came in the mail from a Houston friend.

I was initially hesitant to get one.  2y, newer distillery, Total Wine Spirits Direct promoted, etc.

But.  Nancy.  And some excellent private recommendations & public reviews.  

So.  Here we are.

Still Austin.jpg

• I like it 8

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Two of these came in the mail from a Houston friend.

I was initially hesitant to get one.  2y, newer distillery, Total Wine Spirits Direct promoted, etc.

But.  Nancy.  And some excellent private recommendations & public reviews.  

So.  Here we are.

Still Austin.jpg

@Anwalt Awesome, what a good friend! If your friend happens to go into Austin any time soon, have him stop by the distillery to pick up a bottle of the Still Austin Cask Strength Single Barrel "Nancy's Pick" series. All of the Bourbons are at least 4 to 4.5 years old. It is currently the oldest released whiskey at Still Austin. This May, I plan for every release in that series to be at least 5 years old. 

I think you'll really see a big difference between the 2+ and 4+/almost 5 year old stock. 

Cheers! 🥃

Nancy 

• I like it 8

On 1/2/2023 at 3:09 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

In keeping with "Dry January", I DID NOT OPEN any of my OGD BIBs.  Uh, they in the trunk of my car, and I'm too lazy to walk out there.  SO!  In keeping to Dry Jan in spirit, I have RESOLVED to DRINK NO OGD BIB in January.

So, I opened an EWW (Evan Wms White label BIB) instead.  This is really good - some pepper and spice, a sweetness closer to sugar than caramel which is OK, and a classic bourbon wood note.  I betcha it'd be better if I put some in a glass instead of sipping out of the bottle while Penn State battles Utah.  Maybe if I put it in a paper bag . . .🤣

🤣 Learn from Harry folks! This is how you do Dry January.

• I like it 5

Last year my brother gave me a bottle of Rare Breed.  I kept it in the back of the cabinet all this time, sort of like a fire extinguisher for an emergency.  (I have had Rare Breed in the past, several versions).  Anyway with the new year and all, I'm like - why not.  Man this stuff is good. 🥳

• I like it 7

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

Last year my brother gave me a bottle of Rare Breed.  I kept it in the back of the cabinet all this time, sort of like a fire extinguisher for an emergency.  (I have had Rare Breed in the past, several versions).  Anyway with the new year and all, I'm like - why not.  Man this stuff is good. 🥳

Rare Breed never disappoints in my view! I have the latest batch, both the regular and the non chill filtered travel edition, the one before, WT03RB 112.8 proof and I will receive batch W-T-01-99 end of this week if all is correct (I ordered it based on the proof, 108.4). Good stuff indeed!

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Anwalt Awesome, what a good friend! If your friend happens to go into Austin any time soon, have him stop by the distillery to pick up a bottle of the Still Austin Cask Strength Single Barrel "Nancy's Pick" series. All of the Bourbons are at least 4 to 4.5 years old. It is currently the oldest released whiskey at Still Austin. This May, I plan for every release in that series to be at least 5 years old. 

I think you'll really see a big difference between the 2+ and 4+/almost 5 year old stock. 

Cheers! 🥃

Nancy 

SWMBO and I will be in Austin the weekend of Feb. 10-13!  Will make a stop at the distllery (tours?) to pick up a bottle or 2 of the Still Austin Cask Strength Single Barrel "Nancy's Pick" series for our de-briefings at the 2023 SEC Swimming Championships  at Texas A&M later that week.  Will report back.  😋

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Nancy,

Thanks for the heads up, will do.  I was surprised at what could be done with a 2y, so I am quite looking forward to the 4+ year-old stock.  

Keep doing what you do!  Like anyone needs to tell you that, you clearly love it.

PS:  I signed up for the super secret club.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

4 pm.  Haven't tried WRDO in a while.  Situation remedied.

WRDO.jpg

Excellent choice... I may have the same this evening. 

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, Anwalt said:

4 pm.  Haven't tried WRDO in a while.  Situation remedied.

WRDO.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion! Will follow up on that tonight, it has been a while indeed!

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Ye ol Saffell while on vacation in wyoming…✌🏻D2FCD91C-02E2-45CE-BE0C-C22A7A14F80A.thumb.jpeg.c2408e35120938818ac3192d0f9b1e2f.jpeg

How is it? I have one, need to finish a few before I open more.  But deciding which ones to open.

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

How is it? I have one, need to finish a few before I open more.  But deciding which ones to open.

I really enjoy these things. I will say I dont get the "batch" number thing.  I got my first several years ago and they still pop up randomly all still showing Batch 1.   hmmmm... But any turkey is good for me, especially with some age on it!

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

With some of the talk in another thread about the newer single barrel Baker's, it reminded me that I've been meaning to open mine that i got a long time ago. This one is aged 8 yrs 6 months. Might as well compare it to the old 7 Small Batch version while I'm at it.  Dang cork broke off from the cap of the old one so I decanted into a different bottle.

20230114_203338.thumb.jpg.0e1311d8dfc7d2312b5af0cd84f27fd4.jpg

• I like it 10

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

20230114_203338.thumb.jpg.0e1311d8dfc7d2312b5af0cd84f27fd4.jpg

Dang, that $41.99, though!  
Makes me remember when, I  could pick them up at $29.99 …….Sigh

Cheers

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Dang, that $41.99, though!  
Makes me remember when, I  could pick them up at $29.99 …….Sigh

Cheers

29.99 wow!  I remember getting them for $35 however.  We should've bought a few cases! 🤔

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, Kepler said:

29.99 wow!  I remember getting them for $35 however.  We should've bought a few cases! 🤔

Whether, $30 or $35, man those were the days. 

Cheers 

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Removed obscure reference
  • I like it 1

After reading some reviews of this, I bought one.  The first couple pours, I thought I had wasted my money.  Then it got a lot better a few days later, and I'm really enjoying it now.  

104_2749.thumb.JPG.916f4219abe0bdb4bd0032e0bd26f437.JPG

• I like it 4