What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

33 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Interesting! I shall have to try it. 

I tend to avoid cocktails due to the calories. There's a place here in Old San Juan - House of Montecristo. Beautiful surroundings, very good cigars, and outstanding cocktails. 

They make two types of Manhattan, one of which they call the Perfect Manhattan. Half rye, half bourbon. Very good.

And as often happens to me in Latin America, they don't cotten to dry humor very quickly. I deadpan asked for the Imperfect Manhatten. Blank stares. 

Lol @ Imperfect Manhattan!  Although I though a Perfect had both sweet and dry vermouth instead of both bourbon and rye?

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Although I though a Perfect had both sweet and dry vermouth instead of both bourbon and rye?

Damn. You could be right. And I might not have been in a condition to maximize recollection. I shall go find out. Directly.

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

....delicate, yet with flavor.

This is what I like.

Drinking BP has kinda trained me to appreciate pulling the nuanced flavors out of bourbon like this.

• I like it 2

It was actually yesterday evening when I opened a Jack Daniels SBBP.  This is my first one and I didn't know what to expect as I have read varying opinions on it.  My initial impression is that I'm very impressed.   Excellent flavors and it drinks way below it's proof (mine is a hair over 130).  Looking forward to getting some air unto this bottle and seeing how it changes over time.

• I like it 4

Ah!  The beloved Dictator Alfonse Simms Moon over Parador bottle!  A classic!  😂

Those Ezra B’s had great whiskey in them.  👍🏻

Never had OF 1910, been a big fan of 1920 for a long time. Picked one up today as I've heard good things about it on here.  Very good pour, tasty, great notes. Believe I have found another favorite!!!! BTW, $34 here in the Hamptons!! Quite the deal!!👍

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

20231118_095523.jpg

Haven't seen one of those in a LONG time. I remember back in the day doing a sbs with that and an EC Red 12 and the EC beat it...but the Ezra was still pretty tasty.

• I like it 3

Dumped 16 October 2023.

This is the first gold we opened, and fortunately we both like it. 

Not as fruity on the palate as on the nose, and a relatively long finish. To me it has a slightly sour finish, but not in a bad way, almost like a bit of sweet lemon zest. A bit of caramel long after it makes sense to be there. Tonight it's  a  solid B+, of course tomorrow it may suck🤪

20231118_160732.thumb.jpg.4afd923933827c7d043924248da8e3b6.jpg

• I like it 4

9 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

Dumped 16 October 2023.

This is the first gold we opened, and fortunately we both like it. 

Not as fruity on the palate as on the nose, and a relatively long finish. To me it has a slightly sour finish, but not in a bad way, almost like a bit of sweet lemon zest. A bit of caramel long after it makes sense to be there. Tonight it's  a  solid B+, of course tomorrow it may suck🤪

20231118_160732.thumb.jpg.4afd923933827c7d043924248da8e3b6.jpg

Score & pour!  That's how it's done folks.

• I like it 1

My palate must be improving. Opened a Hirsch cask strength. I took that first sip and my mind instantly said "This is Willett". Googled it and...yup.

I don't like Willett all that much, contra when I first started in this Cosa Nostra. It has a funk on the finish that just does not appeal to me. I'll have to give this one a chance. And research NDP's provenance (and not just ratings, both formal & informal) before buying.

Cheaper than a modern single-digit-age purple top though. Though I don't much care for those either.

Hirsch.jpg

• I like it 2

Father in law bought me a bottle of 1792 smol batch to replace the WT 101 that I had stashed at his house, but someone drunk.

1792 is fine. I hope whomever stole my Turkey stubs their toe.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 4

On 11/20/2023 at 3:13 PM, Anwalt said:

My palate must be improving. Opened a Hirsch cask strength. I took that first sip and my mind instantly said "This is Willett". Googled it and...yup.

I don't like Willett all that much, contra when I first started in this Cosa Nostra. It has a funk on the finish that just does not appeal to me. I'll have to give this one a chance. And research NDP's provenance (and not just ratings, both formal & informal) before buying.

Cheaper than a modern single-digit-age purple top though. Though I don't much care for those either.

Hirsch.jpg

This is exactly the sort of post that makes SB.com great.

• I like it 1

Not turkey, but decided it was time to sample this Eagle…..Happy Turkey day !

Incredibly concentrated 17 yr delight….70A0B8DF-F329-44A0-8D34-8A735E334697.thumb.jpeg.85c94ab4025f8400ef7106e2dee10292.jpeg

• I like it 7

5 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Not turkey, but decided it was time to sample this Eagle…..Happy Turkey day !

Incredibly concentrated 17 yr delight….70A0B8DF-F329-44A0-8D34-8A735E334697.thumb.jpeg.85c94ab4025f8400ef7106e2dee10292.jpeg

Wow, awesome.  Well done sir.

applause-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

On 11/17/2023 at 5:59 PM, Anwalt said:

Wifey likes it. And ER. And that's it, she won't drink any other bourbons. Granted she's a red wine girl from Chile who recently decided French whites are acceptable and is still skeptical of all things over 20% ABV.

Progress.

I can relate.  Mrs. Kepler is a red wine drinker through and through, but occasionally (often?) enjoys my bourbon. She will only drink Elijah Craig, and no other.  I absolutely respect her conviction and dedication.

To the women in our lives! Cheers.

• I like it 4

On 11/21/2023 at 6:39 PM, Kepler said:

It's turkey season. 🦃

I've made my selection. Warehouse F from 2009.

20231121_182946.thumb.jpg.d8455a438be880f8a4899810b2d977f0.jpg

I see Crown Royal bottles all the time in liquor stores and think, just for a moment, maybe someone had some WTKS dusties that were recently discovered and placed out in the general population.  Is this the same bottle as Crown, or just eerily similar?

I haven't been posting here too much, lately. I have mostly been drinking Four Roses Single Barrel. It is a very pleasant drink.

But yesterday (Thanksgiving Day), I tore through my bunker to see what I could see. And way at the back, hidden for no telling how long, was an unopened bottle of Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond. When I opened it, before the cork was even all the way out, I got the aroma. Oh, boy, this is going to be good! And it was. It seems I still have a strong preference for my high rye pours.

And for a special treat during the upcoming holidays, I found about a third of a bottle of Rock Hill Farms. Do they even still make that? I haven't seen it on the shelves around here for ages.

• I like it 6

Yesterday for obvious reasons, I had a few secret snorts of WT 101 KSBW - secret because I was supposed to be working on the tax crap while sitting in the back room watching TV because I was banned from the kitchen.  Today, it is going to be 4RSmBSel which is on sale at a close-by Virginia ABC store for $48.  We also used up our aged rum this week so am getting one or so of Brugal 1888 which is also on sale.

• I like it 2