What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

On 12/10/2023 at 11:33 PM, Davesnothere said:

I opened this tonight. It's odd, I'm getting next to nothing on the nose, just a faint generic smell of bourbon.

On the palate I'm getting no ethanol, nothing up front, and not much to speak of on mouth feel.

Having said that, it is very pleasant neat and I'm getting a nice  cinnamon finish.

I think it's a nice pour for someone who really isn't a bourbon drinker or fears the proof, or if you just want to have a  couple of drinks and don't want to be distracted by the bourbon you're drinking.

At least for tonight it doesn't come across to me as exceptional. But, all in all I like it and think I will enjoy the bottle. 

As always all opinions subject to change tomorrow.

20231210_220204.thumb.jpg.5ae614137fcc350a0d13e835b961fe7c.jpg

Interesting take.

This is one of my favorites...so much so that we always have a bottle on-hand and it's one of two that we deem "decanter-worthy" for regular pours, the other being OGDBiB.

After reading your post I pulled the top off the decanter to check it out.  While the nose isn't overpowering, it's definitely there and quite pleasant...with some oak, vanilla and maybe a little of that butterscotch, (toffee?)

I'm working so no comments on the palate. 😉  I intend to rectify that tonight😅

Hopefully it was just an off-night and it gets better for you down the road.  I'd be interested in your take, after you revisit it.

• I like it 1

On 12/3/2023 at 7:49 PM, Clueby said:

B521 tonight. Jury is still out but seems a little flat and one dimensional for an ECBP.

20231203_194652.jpg

I just checked the last one I bought; still unopened; it's a B519. I have two of the older-styled bottles to open and consume before opening it. Must attend to things in the proper order. Or so I tell myself. Ha.

I opened a KC18 tonight.

First impression was a sweet vanilla caramel on the nose, nice legs in the glass. 

First sip was very pleasantly oaky up front, but resolved into a sweet caramel finish that lingered.  

The second sip did not strike me as oaky as the first, but seemed to me  to be  mature and well aged. 20231213_211110.thumb.jpg.f5ecf01d80883d5caeb81e3cf0ac1791.jpg

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my first pour of this bottle.

• I like it 10

2 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

IMG_5446.jpeg

I was just talking with @troyce today about the 114, and what a great whiskey it is.  I pledged to open one this weekend.  And , I will.  Nice glass, too! 👍🏻

• I like it 2

On 11/25/2023 at 7:35 PM, 0895 said:

I mean no disrespect towards the present 4R company when I say this, but this is so damn good it tastes like Jim Rutledge came back and created it.

Fruity, Spicy, & Oaky, all in harmony.

Just Wow!

IMG_8213.jpeg

Nice! 

I've heard great things about the '23 4R SmBLE.  Have you had a chance to try the RR Single Rickhouse CN-F?  I've had the RR (it's fabulous) but not the new 4R.  I'm just curious how they stack up.

2 minutes ago, MM818 said:

Figured I would give this a whirl. It’s pretty good. Looking forward to having it as an option. 

IMG_1657.jpeg

I_Love_Gold_GIF.gif.41d3fff256f4c83c7bc72e0a6ddcaed8.gif

• I like it 3

opened it up last night to try for the first time. I usually drink stuff 100pf and over these days, but this is a pleasant little sipper for a 90pf offering.

20231215_144954.jpg

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

Nice! 

I've heard great things about the '23 4R SmBLE.  Have you had a chance to try the RR Single Rickhouse CN-F?  I've had the RR (it's fabulous) but not the new 4R.  I'm just curious how they stack up.

Unfortunately Ive not had the opportunity to try any of the single Rick house releases 

• I like it 1

It's been awhile since I had a HW Midwinter open.  It's one my favorite pours for this time of year. Two other good ones for wintertime here too that I plan to enjoy this holiday season.  As funny as it may sound that Glenmorangie really does have the kind of flavors you want in a wintertime pour.

20231218_201959.thumb.jpg.e32b584211160b7658d50754b9b5384c.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 5

17 minutes ago, MadGoodPour said:

im getting a glenmo tokyo soon, loved the Forest one, havent had the others...

This tale of Winter is the only one I've had.  I did buy a backup bottle.  I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Tokyo one.  I haven't had the Forest.  And by the time I decided I wanted the tale of cake, it was long gone from the shelves.

On 12/19/2023 at 2:42 PM, Kepler said:

This tale of Winter is the only one I've had.  I did buy a backup bottle.  I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Tokyo one.  I haven't had the Forest.  And by the time I decided I wanted the tale of cake, it was long gone from the shelves.

this is very informative.   Tokyo discussed at the 54min mark. 

• I like it 1

Hadn't opened a Blanton's in a while so popped it open for a nightcap after we got home from the Christmas with kids (adults), the grandson,  and the kid's friends (which are like having more kids!)  It's a 2020 bottle and it's actually really hitting the spot tonight.

20231225_202833.jpg

• I like it 8

On 12/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

No shattered wax.

The hog is even impressed.

🐷🐽

20231222_210359.jpg

That hog is sure sniffin' that cork! Hehe

• I like it 2

First time trying the 18.  One sip and I can tell I'm already a big fan.  It gets the hyper aged oakiness right without the dry tannic note.  Bingo ✅

20231228_175047.thumb.jpg.d79b86354431a75ab523998177950f32.jpg

• I like it 9

On 12/11/2023 at 9:32 AM, Davesnothere said:

Is that Cannon on the bottle?😁

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Opened my first Smoke Wagon uncut unfiltered today. 

My first impression is that it doesn't suit my palate. To me it tastes a bit young and grain forward.

There is certainly nothing off putting, to me it comes across like a nice young bourbon.

I'll give it another try in a week or so, but I don't think I'll get another bottle.

I bought an un cut the Younger at the same time, so I'm not holding out much hope for that one either.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

Opened my first Smoke Wagon uncut unfiltered today. 

My first impression is that it doesn't suit my palate. To me it tastes a bit young and grain forward.

There is certainly nothing off putting, to me it comes across like a nice young bourbon.

I'll give it another try in a week or so, but I don't think I'll get another bottle.

I bought an un cut the Younger at the same time, so I'm not holding out much hope for that one either.

I'm just wondering how it compares to other young-ish MGP?  Some of the recent 5 and 6 year MGP store picks (Smooth Ambler Old Scout and Stellum) picks were pretty dang good considering they were just 5-6 years old. 

For about a year I have a Smoke Wagon UU and a small batch on deck to open, I just haven't ever gotten around to crack them open just yet.  I guess I just have had other more curious bottles that I opened instead. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Kepler
proof read

Wanted to start the year w my best foot forward. Sitting on this and 2017 release. Figure it’s time to crack it. Early returns are…spectacular. I’ll admit I was hesitant on the proof but doesn’t feel hazmat! 

IMG_1734.jpeg

• I like it 4

57 minutes ago, MM818 said:

Wanted to start the year w my best foot forward. Sitting on this and 2017 release. Figure it’s time to crack it. Early returns are…spectacular. I’ll admit I was hesitant on the proof but doesn’t feel hazmat! 

IMG_1734.jpeg

Is that the 2016 release?  If so, I didn't have the pleasure of scoring my own bottle, but I did have a couple pours at a local bar, and it was an amazing dram.  Cheers sir 🥃

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm just wondering how it compares to other young-ish MGP?  Some of the recent 5 and 6 year MGP store picks (Smooth Ambler Old Scout and Stellum) picks were pretty dang good considering they were just 5-6 years old. 

For about a year I have a Smoke Wagon UU and a small batch on deck to open, I just haven't ever gotten around to crack them open just yet.  I guess I just have had other more curious bottles that I opened instead. 🤷‍♂️

Yea, this one was in my on deck circle for about six months. I'm not certain what other mgp I currently have to compare it against.

Again, it's not bad, if someone offered me a pour I would happily accept. I just don't see me dropping $80 on another bottle. it's probably a case of it's not you it's me. 😐

• I like it 1