What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

12 hours ago, Thomm said:

I see Crown Royal bottles all the time in liquor stores and think, just for a moment, maybe someone had some WTKS dusties that were recently discovered and placed out in the general population.  Is this the same bottle as Crown, or just eerily similar?

True very similar, but a different bottle.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, ratcheer said:

I haven't been posting here too much, lately. I have mostly been drinking Four Roses Single Barrel. It is a very pleasant drink.

But yesterday (Thanksgiving Day), I tore through my bunker to see what I could see. And way at the back, hidden for no telling how long, was an unopened bottle of Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond. When I opened it, before the cork was even all the way out, I got the aroma. Oh, boy, this is going to be good! And it was. It seems I still have a strong preference for my high rye pours.

And for a special treat during the upcoming holidays, I found about a third of a bottle of Rock Hill Farms. Do they even still make that? I haven't seen it on the shelves around here for ages.

They still make RHF, but the supply and demand issue means it's rarely or never seen, gets treated like some sort of contraband.  Price is a lot higher too.

• I like it 3

I mean no disrespect towards the present 4R company when I say this, but this is so damn good it tastes like Jim Rutledge came back and created it.

Fruity, Spicy, & Oaky, all in harmony.

Just Wow!

IMG_8213.jpeg

• I like it 9

Tonight, I reached for something in the bunker that had been long ignored. I bought this in 2013 as a bottom-shelfer. I finally opened it tonight. Goes down nicely.

Pat

20231201_195028.jpg

20231201_195033.jpg

20231201_195110.jpg

20231201_195039.jpg

• I like it 16

20 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Tonight, I reached for something in the bunker that had been long ignored. I bought this in 2013 as a bottom-shelfer. I finally opened it tonight. Goes down nicely.

Pat

20231201_195028.jpg

20231201_195033.jpg

20231201_195110.jpg

20231201_195039.jpg

I have about 7 of those bunkered still and theyre incredible. I think its the charcoal filtering.

• I like it 4

20 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I have about 7 of those bunkered still and theyre incredible. I think its the charcoal filtering.

I was really surprised by it. Pleasantly, of course!

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Pat

34 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

13 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

I was really surprised by it. Pleasantly, of course!

Best I remember, I preferred this one over the HH6BiB decisively.  A very nice bottle.  I need to crack open one myself soon.

Edited by Kepler
spelling
  • I like it 2

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Best I remember, I preferred this one over the HH6BiB decisively.  A very nice bottle.  I need to crack open one myself soon.

They were both Heaven Hill, weren't they? 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

They were both Heaven Hill, weren't they? 

Yes that's my understanding. 

Edited by Kepler
P.S. and my own taste buds tell me that too :- )
  • I like it 2

On 12/1/2023 at 6:07 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

Pat

20231201_195028.jpg

20231201_195033.jpg

20231201_195110.jpg

20231201_195039.jpg

Such a great bottle.

• I like it 3

I decided to pull an older bottle from my bunker, an Elijah Craig 12 store select.  I haven't seen too many of these around, but a local store did a barrel select of Elijah Craig in the 2014 time frame, and bought a few of them.  Interestingly, it looks to be non-chill filtered, as there are little bits of charcoal and fatty acids/esters floating in the bottle.  Quite simply  it's a great bourbon for my palate.  The age does come through in the finish, but on the nose and palate it's a cinnamon sugar donut, cocoa nibs, vanilla, baking spices.  I love ECBP, but there is a wonderful feeling pouring a 94 proofer with flavor, and a long finish.  I have a few regular Elijah Craig 12s left, but this is the last bottle of the store select.  Good memories of days gone by.  This was probably $25 when I bought it, and now wish I bought a few cases.  At least there is quite a bit left in the bunker, but I also really am enjoying the current Knob Creek 12, and most Wild Turkey's so there is that.

IMG_7416.jpeg

• I like it 15

🚨  I’ll say it again.

Be careful about where your Blanton’s comes from.

If I can get the cork out, pour a glass, and put the cork back in with wax intact, so can others.

Anyway, this bottle from 2021 is pretty good.  Hopefully some air makes it better.

IMG_8248.jpeg

• I like it 7

I opened this tonight. It's odd, I'm getting next to nothing on the nose, just a faint generic smell of bourbon.

On the palate I'm getting no ethanol, nothing up front, and not much to speak of on mouth feel.

Having said that, it is very pleasant neat and I'm getting a nice  cinnamon finish.

I think it's a nice pour for someone who really isn't a bourbon drinker or fears the proof, or if you just want to have a  couple of drinks and don't want to be distracted by the bourbon you're drinking.

At least for tonight it doesn't come across to me as exceptional. But, all in all I like it and think I will enjoy the bottle. 

As always all opinions subject to change tomorrow.

20231210_220204.thumb.jpg.5ae614137fcc350a0d13e835b961fe7c.jpg

• I like it 3

On 12/4/2023 at 8:59 PM, Jazz Nut said:

I decided to pull an older bottle from my bunker, an Elijah Craig 12 store select.  I haven't seen too many of these around, but a local store did a barrel select of Elijah Craig in the 2014 time frame, and bought a few of them.  Interestingly, it looks to be non-chill filtered, as there are little bits of charcoal and fatty acids/esters floating in the bottle.  Quite simply  it's a great bourbon for my palate.  The age does come through in the finish, but on the nose and palate it's a cinnamon sugar donut, cocoa nibs, vanilla, baking spices.  I love ECBP, but there is a wonderful feeling pouring a 94 proofer with flavor, and a long finish.  I have a few regular Elijah Craig 12s left, but this is the last bottle of the store select.  Good memories of days gone by.  This was probably $25 when I bought it, and now wish I bought a few cases.  At least there is quite a bit left in the bunker, but I also really am enjoying the current Knob Creek 12, and most Wild Turkey's so there is that.

IMG_7416.jpeg

Same here. I still have a few bottles of two different barrel picks Westport Whiskey and Wine in Louisville did around the same time frame when we lived back in KY. Like you, I wish I had purchased a case or two of each back then. WW&W seemed to have some of the best picks at that time and those EC picks were no different.  I think I purchased 3 or 4 of each barrel and got the look from the wife like I was over spending back then. Now she doesn't even ask what the bill was!  Definitely, memories of time in bourbon long in the rearview mirror.

Hope you enjoy until it has given the last drop!

• I like it 3

Opened a Beam DIstiller's Series Bourbon, the 7th generation one from 2008. Surprisingly good, this one!

Schermafbeelding 2023-12-10 222823.jpg

• I like it 9

6 hours ago, Obree said:

Opened a Beam DIstiller's Series Bourbon, the 7th generation one from 2008. Surprisingly good, this one!

Schermafbeelding 2023-12-10 222823.jpg

Is that Cannon on the bottle?😁

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, elmossle said:

Same here. I still have a few bottles of two different barrel picks Westport Whiskey and Wine in Louisville did around the same time frame when we lived back in KY. Like you, I wish I had purchased a case or two of each back then. WW&W seemed to have some of the best picks at that time and those EC picks were no different.  I think I purchased 3 or 4 of each barrel and got the look from the wife like I was over spending back then. Now she doesn't even ask what the bill was!  Definitely, memories of time in bourbon long in the rearview mirror.

Hope you enjoy until it has given the last drop!

Thank you!  Glad to hear you have some bunkered!!  The bottle is disappearing quickly, I'll need to hide it soon, lol.  I believe these are NCF, as there is some barrel char bits in the bottom of the bottle.  This liquor store did a few different picks (circa 2013-14?) from two different floors, and they all have been really good.  Just good, balanced bourbon--nothing sticks out.

• I like it 2

Well, I broke over and opened this bottle of Garrison Bros. Cowboy that I was holding until my children got home for Christmas. I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. For several years, Cowboy has been my favorite tasting bourbon. The dark Karo Syrup colored 2023 version was more than I could resist. Honestly, this year’s bottle is the best. The high proof had me a little worried, but the flavor was enough to overwhelm the heat. I do drink my bourbon on an ice ball, so maybe that helps ( and as I’ve gotten older, I favor Barrel or cask strength whiskey). My old storage bottles of Pappy and A H Hirsch will be safe for another year. But I will be on the look out for another 2023 Cowboy to store with them. Thank you Garrison Brothers, for another great release.

IMG_2566.jpeg

• I like it 3