What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

1 hour ago, JT3NSB said:

AAA 10 StarIMG_9958.thumb.jpeg.c02b84ba19b1c8567fc4e0d47de8707d.jpeg

I wasn't going to drink tonight, but during a trip to the freezer for some ice cream, I just couldn't shake the notion that the Triple A Ten Star bottle had been subconsciously beckoning me.  

3 ounces later, I received confirmation.  Always trust subconscious beckoning.

• I like it 5

Finally got around to opening this up. Its "fine" but not as good as the wheated BIB. It has a great nose but the palate falls a little short and seems young. Not worth the $50 price of admission.

20231102_193234.jpg

Found this on my way home from work today, first time ever seeing it in the state.  Definitely happy with this one and wanted to find a bottle since the HH You Do Bourbon had Y123 offered.  Wasn't going to turn down Select Stock though.

IMG_3177.thumb.jpeg.53c905cb242436c72eca33e58404acfb.jpeg

• I like it 1

Saying goodbye to seeing Bedlam football on an annual basis, at least for the foreseeable future.  Figured, I better open this one up, who knows if I’ll even be around the next time they play 🤷‍♂️  
I am not a fan of College football conference realignments. Football fans deserve traditional rivalry games like Bedlam. 

Rant over, back to whiskey.  I really do not have a lot of experience with Bulleit bourbon. This one is tasty. Fairly sweet, almost a dessert bourbon. 

Boomer!!

C56FCF52-ABE8-4560-B780-DA796CF1D6AA.thumb.jpeg.d12582c7d3bab024714ec2d0d3351541.jpeg

• I like it 6

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a label like that on Bulleit before.  OESO, very nice!

• I like it 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:08 PM, Clueby said:

Finally got around to opening this up. Its "fine" but not as good as the wheated BIB. It has a great nose but the palate falls a little short and seems young. Not worth the $50 price of admission.

I do like their wheated BiB as well.  I've resisted buying this one and thanks to your informative post I can save my money for something else.  Appreciated. 👍

On 10/30/2023 at 4:17 PM, Anwalt said:

Hmmm, will have to try it.

A colleague picked up the 4YBS from the distillery for me, I look forward to trying it. I was shocked at the 2yBS. I'd never have tried something that young (did so in the past, I mean YOU Peerless) but for all the favorable comments. I didn't love it, but definitely not a hater.

Could be another one that grows on me after a while, that's been happening a good bit. It's a real problem. There's so little that I dislike (granted, there probably is, I've just managed to avoid buying much of it thanks to the Good Influences [hah!] here), that's the problem, the problem of plenty - so many good things are being made. We are very, very lucky and live in an age of wonder.

Now to deciding what I love vs merely like.

Among their barrel strength releases, I have only tried the standard version; I have not tried any of their store picks.  I liked mine, but also did not love it. 

I hear great things about the special "Nancy" barrel picks available at the distillery, but I have not tried one yet.

All of the Still Austin bourbons that I've tried drank hotter than the proof.  Their BiB releases at 100 proof are as high ABV as I care to drink from them. 

I just picked up their fall BiB (the "high rye" release) and I like it too.  I still think I prefer the red corn BiB version just a little better however.  I need another session with the High Rye BiB before really saying that however.

Because of my positive experience with this SA red corn bourbon, I am considering trying a different brand that I read a positive review about -- High Wire Jimmy Red single barrel.  Not that I need to try more bourbons, but this red corn thing has me a little intrigued...

• I like it 2

On 11/5/2023 at 12:46 AM, Kepler said:

Among their barrel strength releases, I have only tried the standard version; I have not tried any of their store picks.  I liked mine, but also did not love it. 

I hear great things about the special "Nancy" barrel picks available at the distillery, but I have not tried one yet.

All of the Still Austin bourbons that I've tried drank hotter than the proof.  Their BiB releases at 100 proof are as high ABV as I care to drink from them. 

I just picked up their fall BiB (the "high rye" release) and I like it too.  I still think I prefer the red corn BiB version just a little better however.  I need another session with the High Rye BiB before really saying that however.

Because of my positive experience with this SA red corn bourbon, I am considering trying a different brand that I read a positive review about -- High Wire Jimmy Red single barrel.  Not that I need to try more bourbons, but this red corn thing has me a little intrigued...

Please let me know how the red corn tasting goes.  I have been intrigued by this grain impact since I drank some of the French Lick distillery products (e.g Maddy Gladden).  Their motto is “respect the grain”.  

Reminds me of when I learned how much flavor that yeast added to bourbon while trying Four Roses single barrel, barrell proof bourbon with Jimmy Rutledge at a tasting event.  I had Jimmy sign a bottle  Yeastmaster Jimmy Rutledge.   He laughed and said that was the first time he had every been asked to sign a bottle with that title:}

Cheers!

• I like it 1

I've had this bottle bunkered for at least five years now.  The first finished bourbon I'd ever tried,  and fondly remembered.  

Boy is this just plain good;  the cabernet barrel finish adding a tannic plushness to the mouthful while letting the classic bourbon flavors sing.   The Kentucky hug is luxurious, and in perfect balance.

Not sure I'll ever see it again,  nor that a new bottle, if it's still being made, could be as good.

Like Art Blakey, sui generis.

20231109_211050.jpg

• I like it 2

Cute label, and great pic of Blakey.  He was happy to get out of Pittsburgh.  The city, regrettably,  is not much different now....

Caught Art and the Messengers in a tiny club out on the west coast, maybe the Lighthouse, in January 1980.  Great show, that preceded attending the Super Bowl. a few days later

• I like it 1

First day of raking leaves, figured I was owed one, or two as the case may be.  A gifted bottle from my cousin a “Bev Max” Maker’s Mark  barrel selection. First one was poured neat, to adjust to the higher proof, second on a small pile of rocks. Verdict: pretty ‘effin good! The coaster from Wollenky’s grill where I spent a good deal of my misspent youth.

IMG_0709.jpeg

Edited by RT Fan
Additional info.
  • I like it 3

Well, finally got this one back to PR. And no "in-flight ECBP bottle explosions", thankfully. I've been wanting to try it, hence the heavy pour and early hour.

ECBP C923.jpg

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Well, finally got this one back to PR. And no "in-flight ECBP bottle explosions", thankfully. I've been wanting to try it, hence the heavy pour and early hour.

ECBP C923.jpg

.....and??

2 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

.....and??

I like it. Then again, with the exception of the toasted barrel, I haven't met an EC I did not like. I love the ECBP's in general.

This one is different. Not sure if the finish is chocolatey or a touch too oaky - it sure does last. Makes me think of the OF 1910 in that regard (with the same question). A lot to unwrap. Definitely not a "hey diddle diddle right up the middle" simple & intense flavor like the grenades.

I took two hours to sip that pour, didn't add any drops. I liked it more as the clock ticked on.

Going to try it this weekend with a friend along with a grenade, C922, and a 134-proof SP from Johnny O's. That ought to add a bit of contrast.

Again, I liked it quite a bit. But I was not initially blown away, no "When Harry Met Sally" moment. Of course, that was the infamous neck pour too. Indeed, I informed my buddy of my sacrifice & altruism, making sure he'd not have that neck pour on Saturday. 

• I like it 6

6 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Of course, that was the infamous neck pour too. Indeed, I informed my buddy of my sacrifice & altruism, making sure he'd not have that neck pour on Saturday. 

Ahh the sacrifices we make!

• I like it 1

On 11/12/2023 at 4:33 PM, JT3NSB said:

Enjoying this Knob 18 after a full day of mtb and motorcycle riding on a nice fall eve..

IMG_0090.jpeg

Nice pic!

Another one that just I was waiting to open. First sip and I thought "Is it me or does this taste like unburned, sweetish Scotch?".

4RSuPr.jpg

On 11/4/2023 at 9:46 PM, Kepler said:

Hey @Kepler, Nancy here. I'm thrilled to hear that you liked the Still Austin BiB red corn! The BiB high rye Bourbon with white corn from this fall was a little over 5 years old, and not the legally requisite 4 years for a BiB. Also, all of the Nancy's Picks are over 5 years old. Most are currently in the 5 1/2 yr range, and I intend to keep pushing up the age on these as much as possible every year.

That said, if you liked the red corn, I'm thinking you really might like the upcoming Blue Corn BiB winter release. That one is my personal favorite. If you happen to grab a bottle after it's release, I'd really love to hear your thoughts! 

Cheers!🥃

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 4

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @Kepler, Nancy here. I'm thrilled to hear that you liked the Still Austin BiB red corn! The BiB high rye Bourbon with white corn from this fall was a little over 5 years old, and not the legally requisite 4 years for a BiB. Also, all of the Nancy's Picks are over 5 years old. Most are currently in the 5 1/2 yr range, and I intend to keep pushing up the age on these as much as possible every year.

That said, if you liked the red corn, I'm thinking you really might like the upcoming Blue Corn BiB winter release. That one is my personal favorite. If you happen to grab a bottle after it's release, I'd really love to hear your thoughts! 

Cheers!🥃

Nancy

Hi Nancy.  I will definitely be on the lookout for the blue corn BiB release, it sounds intriguing!  Cheers! 🥃

Cooking a Spanish lentil stew - chorizo, garlic, onions, all the good stuff just got minced & grated and smells wonderful. Should be nice & "seasoned" by Sunday for dinner with a friend who never had Manhattans. Until we introduced her. She's coming back for more. She's yet to decide if rye (my preference) or bourbon or rum (a Puerto Rican thing) is the better base. 

Seems to call for something with a bit more kick than the 4R Super Premium. So here we are.

4RA.jpg

4RB.jpg

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Cooking a Spanish lentil stew - chorizo, garlic, onions, all the good stuff just got minced & grated and smells wonderful. Should be nice & "seasoned" by Sunday for dinner with a friend who never had Manhattans. Until we introduced her. She's coming back for more. She's yet to decide if rye (my preference) or bourbon or rum (a Puerto Rican thing) is the better base. 

Seems to call for something with a bit more kick than the 4R Super Premium. So here we are.

4RA.jpg

4RB.jpg

Split base cocktails are quite popular in at least some circles and worth a try when you can't decide between several delicious options. As an example, Death & Co.'s Conference cocktail is a wonderful 4 way split base take on an Old Fashioned.

• I like it 1

On 11/15/2023 at 3:02 PM, Anwalt said:

Another one that just I was waiting to open. First sip and I thought "Is it me or does this taste like unburned, sweetish Scotch?".

4RSuPr.jpg

It’s geared towards the Japanese market, so you’re on track with your assessment.

I enjoy it quite a bit, but Im also a 4RYL fan 🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 3

23 minutes ago, 0895 said:

It’s geared towards the Japanese market, so you’re on track with your assessment.

Wifey likes it. And ER. And that's it, she won't drink any other bourbons. Granted she's a red wine girl from Chile who recently decided French whites are acceptable and is still skeptical of all things over 20% ABV.

Progress.

25 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I enjoy it quite a bit, but Im also a 4RYL fan 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm liking it. Lots of flavor and no "It burns us, it burns us". It seem consistent with Japanese preferences....delicate, yet with flavor.

• I like it 2

32 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

Death & Co.'s Conference cocktail is a wonderful 4 way split base take on an Old Fashioned.

Interesting! I shall have to try it. 

I tend to avoid cocktails due to the calories. There's a place here in Old San Juan - House of Montecristo. Beautiful surroundings, very good cigars, and outstanding cocktails. 

They make two types of Manhattan, one of which they call the Perfect Manhattan. Half rye, half bourbon. Very good.

And as often happens to me in Latin America, they don't cotten to dry humor very quickly. I deadpan asked for the Imperfect Manhatten. Blank stares. 

• I like it 1