What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

On 4/27/2023 at 12:08 PM, IamMatt said:

I have also rarely found a TW employee steeped in bourbon knowledge.  There was a guy a couple of years ago, Neal, looked to be mid-20s, who approached me as I stared at the bourbon aisle.  We got to talking and he knew more about bourbon (and rum) than most anyone I had met.  We probably talked for 45 minutes.  This happened several more times. 

He was also a hunter; he worked at TW but would spend his days off traveling to liquor stores finding lost treasures.  In our long talks at TW he would tell me about all the unusual old dusty bottles he had found.  He once mapped out every liquor store in one city and went to all of them in a couple of days. 

There's a TW near me, I've been to it twice, once to just look around, and the second time to purchase an obscure beer that the website said they had in limited quantities.  The employee in the beer section knew exactly where it was and she even checked to see if they had more, they didn't.  When I got home their website show that it was out of stock. And it indicated that it was in stock at a store about 25 miles away.

I'll probably not be a regular visitor as I have other good sources for what I normally like.

Old Dominick Huling Station SiB. 8 yr CS MGP for $65 from a store that consistently picks hitters.  I passed on it, but I’m going to pick it up soon. Picked up my 6th bottle of their Old Scout pick instead. I’ve been buying them for months, and I think I’m the only one. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Old Dominick Huling Station SiB. 8 yr CS MGP for $65 from a store that consistently picks hitters.  I passed on it, but I’m going to pick it up soon. Picked up my 6th bottle of their Old Scout pick instead. I’ve been buying them for months, and I think I’m the only one. 

I have been seeing a lot of MGP mashbill 75/21/4 CS around 4 to 5 years old in a lot of NDP offerings (Stellum, Proof & Wood The Representative, Backbone) for around $50.  This is a great bourbon even at 4 to 5 years old.  I understand you can grab a KC120, WTRB, etc. in the upper $40s to low $59s but an MGP CS 8 year single barrel store pick from a store with a solid history of picks would pique my interest.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have been seeing a lot of MGP mashbill 75/21/4 CS around 4 to 5 years old in a lot of NDP offerings (Stellum, Proof & Wood The Representative, Backbone) for around $50.  This is a great bourbon even at 4 to 5 years old.  I understand you can grab a KC120, WTRB, etc. in the upper $40s to low $59s but an MGP CS 8 year single barrel store pick from a store with a solid history of picks would pique my interest.

It piqued mine too. I’ll report back after acquiring. 

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

It piqued mine too. I’ll report back after acquiring. 

8-9 yr mgp is gold imho

• I like it 3

Cut to the chase…….

Blanton’s-$189.99

ER-$89.99

BT-$39.99

EHTaylor SmB-$129.99

Reckon I’ll wait for Binny’s Cinco De Mayo sale and grab a MM 1.75 for $39.99, and peanuts for 1¢. 😉

• I like it 3

48 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cut to the chase…….

Blanton’s-$189.99

ER-$89.99

BT-$39.99

EHTaylor SmB-$129.99

Reckon I’ll wait for Binny’s Cinco De Mayo sale and grab a MM 1.75 for $39.99, and peanuts for 1¢. 😉

I’ve noticed past MM to be “unbalanced” for a wheater while Rebel Yell of all thing seems to scratch the itch. Any improvements with recent batches of MM in the community’s opinion?

27 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

I’ve noticed past MM to be “unbalanced” for a wheater while Rebel Yell of all thing seems to scratch the itch. Any improvements with recent batches of MM in the community’s opinion?

I’ve been pretty happy with MM for a while now. It was pretty much my gateway bourbon. Then I ignored it for quite a while. Pleased to be back home. 🥰

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Aside from their brief proof experiment years ago, I've never found MM to be anything other than consistent.  

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I think the MM 101 is great.  I still like the regular MM 90 too.

• I like it 1

Passed on a Total Wine store pick of ECBP at $90.  No further comment.

• I like it 2

I saw an Elmer T. Lee in the wild today when I was looking for an out of season beer.  The store wanted $400. The store still has it setting on the shelf. 

I haven't seen one of those in the wild in more than 5 years and would have popped for it at $40 maybe even $50  throwing cash to the wind.

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

I saw an Elmer T. Lee in the wild today when I was looking for an out of season beer.  The store wanted $400. The store still has it setting on the shelf. 

I haven't seen one of those in the wild in more than 5 years and would have popped for it at $40 maybe even $50  throwing cash to the wind.

You passed up a great bargain or are you married? The hookers and marijuana that obviously came with it is not a bad deal!!! 

Only 1 ETL in the wild in 6 years. Where are the hookers???

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

You passed up a great bargain or are you married? The hookers and marijuana that obviously came with it is not a bad deal!!! 

Only 1 ETL in the wild in 6 years. Where are the hookers???

Isn't it hookers and blow that would come with it? I am married and I could afford a $400 bottle of bourbon, but it's certainly not worth that much to me. I might go back there in a couple of weeks just to see if it's still there.

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

Isn't it hookers and blow that would come with it? I am married and I could afford a $400 bottle of bourbon, but it's certainly not worth that much to me. I might go back there in a couple of weeks just to see if it's still there.

Haha, I saw hookers and blow,  and wondered what I missed. Apparently, a $400 bottle of ETL😀

Either way, $400 for hookers or ETL,  you are getting screwed.  😀🤪😎

• I like it 7

Didn't pass just couldn't find.

A localchain has  Legent on sale for $10. They occasionally run these crazy sales to clear out the shelf turds.

I have never bought a bottle but a friend gifted me a sizable pour in the bottle since he really liked it.  I thought it was good but not in the $40 price range.

As a Cheap Bastard, i believe a bottle or two in the bunker at $10 each is well worth the price.  😀

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Special Reserve said:

Yep, sorry; I'm waaaaaay old school. The blow just wasn't on my mind 'cause that would have taken more of a thought process. It's friday, my thinker is sprained... 😜

• I like it 4

17 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

I was able to try Elmer T Lee and Rock Hill Farms for the first time last Monday at a Buffalo Trace event.  I liked the ETL and would probably pay the $40-ish retail for it but not a lot more.  Same with the Rock Hill Farms at $60-ish.  Too many fine bourbons available competing at those prices.

• I like it 5

Jesus Christ - a Total Wine pick of RRSiB is now up to $108.  They can go F themselves.

• I like it 10

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

Jesus Christ - a Total Wine pick of RRSiB is now up to $108.  They can go F themselves.

That's ridiculous.   RRSiB prices have been rising as fast as Irish whiskey prices!

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

That's ridiculous.   RRSiB prices have been rising as fast as Irish whiskey prices!

It really is. I can get the shelfie version from California for $60 so I will keep stocking up on that.

• I like it 1

Saw a Blanton's Gold at a store in Bridgehampton, $450. Easy Pass. Also Col EHT small batch @ $199. Asshats...

• I like it 5

On Friday morning I was getting ready to go out of town, grabbing some last minute items.  At the grocery store, I happened to see for the first time OGD 114 @ $24.99.  As Arnold said in the Terminator, "I'll be back".

• I like it 5

11 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Saw a Blanton's Gold at a store in Bridgehampton, $450. Easy Pass. Also Col EHT small batch @ $199. Asshats...

We had a rush of 750 ml Blanton's Gold at our local Wegman's - $245 OTD.  Figured with the price of an airline ticket to Bermuda or Sint Maarten tossed in, that wasn't a bad price.  🤣

• I like it 4

Blantons at $149 and OFBB at $799 at a cruddy LS I happened to pass by in a nearby town. They can keep it. 

• I like it 2