What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Anwalt sounds like he came across a honey barrel

On the Peerless, that's exactly what happened.  This is first one I've really liked, much less loved. 

Per the bottle, the barrel date was 2016, so seems like 6y instead of the usual 4y.  Got a strong recommendation from a friend who had tried it, or I'd have shied away.

• I like it 1

GW4G from the fridge with a 1 1/4" thick prime sirloin strip steak on the barbie - first sunny & warmish (kinda') night so off with the grill cover and fired that puppy up!  Nice caesar salad with creamy lite dressing and anchovies.  Finished the meal off with a smallish dish of Tillamook Oregon black cherry ice cream (goes really well with the last sip of bourbon from the glencairn).  Yummo!   😋

• I like it 6

My nephew was in town last night.  We were surprised to see him.  After he left this morning, we went into the guest bedroom and found this on the dresser.

image1.jpeg

• I like it 15

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Finished the meal off with a smallish dish of Tillamook Oregon black cherry ice cream

Tillamook is like the BTAC of the Ice cream world.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, markandrex said:

My nephew was in town last night.  We were surprised to see him.  After he left this morning, we went into the guest bedroom and found this on the dresser.

image1.jpeg

Sneaky and well played.  He knows you well!

• I like it 2

Went over to my KY-in-PR friend's place.  Fun as always.

Opened a few WT I found in Europe (The RB with some help from Obree, ever appreciated). The Austin Nichols drank over its proof, we'll see how it is once it opens up some. I particularly liked the RB. I need to try it next to a modern one & compare. It seemed sweeter with heavier "funk", but that's off the top of my head.

A client sent the KoK as a gift. Just wow. What a spectacular bottle. Intense, rich flavor throughout and a long, long finish.

The Parkers was also very good. Indeed, it would have blown me away on its own.  But the KoK took the evening and ruined me forever. I want more.

KoK2.jpg

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 8

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

Opened a few WT I found in Europe (The RB with some help from Obree, ever appreciated). The Austin Nichols drank over its proof, we'll see how it is once it opens up some. I particularly liked the RB. I need to try it next to a modern one & compare. It seemed sweeter with heavier "funk", but that's off the top of my head.

A client sent the KoK as a gift. Just wow. What a spectacular bottle. Intense, rich flavor throughout and a long, long finish.

The Parkers was also very good. Indeed, it would have blown me away on its own.  But the KoK took the evening and ruined me forever. I want more.

KoK2.jpg

Never even heard of K o K. Will have to keep my eyes peeled.

13 minutes ago, Grady330 said:

Never even heard of K o K. Will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Just looked around. 2-3k ?

1 hour ago, Grady330 said:

Just looked around. 2-3k ?

Secondary is $1,200 to $1,600.  Client is very well off and values his time, so he paid $2,000 to a Caskers-type "Uber-Secondary but Super Convenient" website.  Extremely generous of him.  I never would have paid that much.  But I do have to say...I'm tempted to pay less than that but much more than I should. It's that good.

I think MSRP is around $250.  But that thing is rarer than a hen's tooth.

Edited by Anwalt

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

Secondary is $1,200 to $1,600.  Client is very well off and values his time, so he paid $2,000 to a Caskers-type "Uber-Secondary but Super Convenient" website.  Extremely generous of him.  I never would have paid that much.  But I do have to say...I'm tempted to pay less than that but much more than I should. It's that good.

I think MSRP is around $250.  But that thing is rarer than a hen's tooth.

I will heed your advice.  Think I will save for Bombergers and Blantons Gold this spring!!

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Anwalt said:

KoK2.jpg

How does KoK compare to the 1920?

Sipping on some GTS this evening while watching the CMT awards with the wife.

• I like it 4

On 3/30/2023 at 9:07 PM, MM818 said:

New Riff Single Barrel. So much flavor.  When we are vibing New Riff is tough to beat!

Enjoying with Daisy Jones and The Six. And watching things disappear from my Friday work calendar. I might be starting the weekend….

Just killed mine (K&L pick).  Lovely bottle.

• I like it 3

Sipping a barrel pick of Sierra Bourbon.  I understand it was the first (only?) barrel pick they have done.  3-year-pld MGP but you would never guess.  Rich mouthfeel, delicious double-oak notes, definitely a hitter.  Oops, did my 15-ounce ribeye get in the picture?  Its in the sous-vide cooker now.

Steak and Bourbon.jpg

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, IamMatt said:

Sipping a barrel pick of Sierra Bourbon.  I understand it was the first (only?) barrel pick they have done.  3-year-pld MGP but you would never guess.  Rich mouthfeel, delicious double-oak notes, definitely a hitter.  Oops, did my 15-ounce ribeye get in the picture?  Its in the sous-vide cooker now.

Steak and Bourbon.jpg

Now, that is just showing off.  😜

• I like it 1

This was the lineup Friday night. I was pretty excited to try the VW rye for the first time. It was actually really good....a little sweeter than expected.  It did not taste like THH or Saz18 to my palate memory. They claimed it is 100% BT distillate. 🤷‍♂️

The ORVW was probably my favorite of the bourbon pours for that night. I took a really good bottle of OWA with me as a "reference point". It held up pretty well with the ORVW but lost on the finish.  Oops...my NY Strips snuck in there. 🤣

20230331_194750.jpg

20230402_175024.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 6

13 hours ago, Anwalt said:

KoK2.jpg

This stuff comes with a very exclusive pedigree.

Screenshot_20230402-211953.jpg

• I like it 5

Isn't that from It's a Wonderful Life - where George sees the world how things would be if he was never born, and everything is awful.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

Isn't that from It's a Wonderful Life - where George sees the world how things would be if he was never born, and everything is awful.

No, it's the scene where he realizes how good life is because he scored a bottle of King of Kentucky in the Bedford Falls charity lottery.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, IamMatt said:

No, it's the scene where he realizes how good life is because he scored a bottle of King of Kentucky in the Bedford Falls charity lottery.

Now that's funny! 

• I like it 2