What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

Spent the day cleaning out flower beds and putting down mulch.  Recovering with some VOB 100.

• I like it 5

Opened a new bottle of Eagle Rare, always a fine pour. Thought I took an open bottle of Michter's barrel strength rye after that out of a dark cabinet,  found out it was an unopened one after pulling the cork out. Oh well, did not taste that particular batch yet, about time anyway!

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, Obree said:

Opened a new bottle of Eagle Rare, always a fine pour. Thought I took an open bottle of Michter's barrel strength rye after that out of a dark cabinet,  found out it was an unopened one after pulling the cork out. Oh well, did not taste that particular batch yet, about time anyway!

Any preference between the two batches?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Any preference between the two batches?

Slight preference for batch 327 over 322. But quite close in my view. Curious if you have the same opinion!

• I like it 1

Something out of the ordinary for me, Jefferson’s single barrel. This is a local barrel pick from a local festival. If you don’t know, Louisiana has a festival just about every weekend around here. 
Good bourbon though. 
D804B99B-FF2E-49D5-975E-8B143D194256.thumb.jpeg.605271a88f9d7e4b91e31b8f76fd049d.jpeg

• I like it 5

My boss wanted to talk work at the end of the day.  I wanted to talk bourbon.  Tonight he won.  Tomorrow is another day.  I ended up drinking rye whiskey after cutting grass.  

I told the grass.  Listen up bitch.  I am cutting you now and will be drinking your cousin later.  Take that! 

April 3 and cutting grass in central Indiana.  WTF?

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 9

7 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

My boss wanted to talk work at the end of the day.  I wanted to talk bourbon.  Tonight he won.  Tomorrow is another day.  I ended up drinking rye whiskey after cutting grass.  

I told the grass.  Listen up bitch.  I am cutting you now and will be drinking your cousin later.  Take that! 

April 3 and cutting grass in central Indiana.  WTF?

:D

4 pm.  Still at the office.  So some flavor & some proof are in order.  It's that 6y store pick, again.

Peerless DO Pick.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

4 pm.  Still at the office.  So some flavor & some proof are in order.  It's that 6y store pick, again.

Peerless DO Pick.jpg

No need to feel sorry for you it seems!

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, Obree said:

No need to feel sorry for you it seems!

I do not seem adept at inspiring pity.

I think that makes me a victim!

• I like it 1

Finished off an AA 90 proof.  I like it better than the 80 proof but not sure I would seek it out again.  Thought I see how it fared against something I pour a little more often.  Decided to put it up against EW 1783.  Same proof but maybe not a completely comparable pour.  To my palate, AA has a little more heat and not as much spice.  The EW seems overall a better experience.  Not unhappy to try the AA 90 and would like to give AAA 10 star a try but I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Peerless DO Pick.jpg

recently bought one of these, and have yet to open. Am traveling for a couple weeks and look forward to opening my bottle when i return home. mind sharing your thoughts?

7 hours ago, steven s said:

recently bought one of these, and have yet to open. Am traveling for a couple weeks and look forward to opening my bottle when i return home. mind sharing your thoughts?

I do not normally care for Peerless.  Expensive, drinks hot & young for my taste.  It has flavor, but needs age.

This bottle was different.  Still a bit hotter than I'd ideally like.  But the flavor was enough to be worth the heat.  What caused me to try it:

1) 6 years

2) Store pick

3) Most importantly, recommended strongly by a friend who knows my palate (probably better than I do!).

• I like it 1

So now I have 2 bottles of Blantons Gold. First was acquired 2 years ago with the plan being to open on the day I retire, 5 years or so from now. Now I just got a second and am thinking of opening one up to try. I have always been a two is one guy. Never had this juice before but have heard it is very good.  As I have said before, at this stage, one of my worries is that my fine bourbons get used by my family, at my wake!!!! Guess I am looking for a nudge to pop this cork and have a fine swill.   

• I like it 3

52 minutes ago, Grady330 said:

So now I have 2 bottles of Blantons Gold. First was acquired 2 years ago with the plan being to open on the day I retire, 5 years or so from now. Now I just got a second and am thinking of opening one up to try. I have always been a two is one guy. Never had this juice before but have heard it is very good.  As I have said before, at this stage, one of my worries is that my fine bourbons get used by my family, at my wake!!!! Guess I am looking for a nudge to pop this cork and have a fine swill.   

Nudge, nudge, nudge, nudge, nudge, nudge, nudge....

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Grady330 said:

Open one, carpe diem!

• I like it 2

Settling in with a Jack Daniel’s Bonded, tonight.  

B85C0C35-2203-49D0-AFC1-6C226F41D796.jpeg

• I like it 3

It's not often anymore I get to try a Bourbon totally new to me, not just a brand extension of something I'm well acquainted.

I picked up Green River on sale.  Label says prominently "DSP 10 Owensboro, KY".  So it's a real distillery, not a Potemkin story.  I also recall, Bardstown Bourbon Company recently bought them.  I consider that a vote of confidence.

Anyway, it's a very easy drinking 90 proof Bourbon, no rough edges or flaws I can detect.  It has its' own house style that I like - a little butterscotch and cinnamon.

• I like it 5

Passed on this one for so many years.  It’s probably my favorite daily sipper now.  4B2C7047-6587-486E-B70E-DB96B879E744.thumb.jpeg.0b15608cb210f71c0d0dd6dab0bf18f5.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 4/6/2023 at 3:14 PM, Obree said:

Open one, carpe diem!

So I opened the Gold. WOW, what a difference from the regular Blanton's.  I have opened that door, now  to control  the consumption!!

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Grady330 said:

So I opened the Gold. WOW, what a difference from the regular Blanton's.

Right?  10 proof point increase, waaay more flavor. Blew me away the first time I tried it, and it was side by side with the regular.

Enjoy!

• I like it 1