What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

Celebrating.  The little store in (non-Parisian) France that sells me much of what they get (their crowd does wine, not whiskey) got me 4 W12 today for 55E each.  

Happy day.

W12.jpg

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

Celebrating.  The little store in (non-Parisian) France that sells me much of what they get (their crowd does wine, not whiskey) got me 4 W12 today for 55E each.  

Happy day.

W12.jpg

Nice. My wife will be in Paris in June. I may join her, if my passport renewal arrives in time. I need to get a debrief before she/we leave(s).

Did a blind BIB tasting tonight. The pic is the group of about 30 people consensus on worst to best (l to r).  I had the Dickel as my worst and the JD as #7. But I had the Rieger as my #1! 🤷‍♂️

My rankings were Dickel<JD<ET<NR<McK<OF11<BH<Rieger.

20230412_184600.jpg

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

My wife will be in Paris in June. I may join her, if my passport renewal arrives in time. I need to get a debrief before she/we leave(s).

Happy to chat. I have bought very, very little in Paris.  Mostly because I have not tried very hard and it's probably more heavily tatered. Get an hour outside of Paris and hit all the liquor stores on the map (which means you'll end up seeing the entire city, so your wife might not kill you) and you'll find the little places that carry it and aren't getting tatered too hard.  I did that in Bordeaux and have a pretty good sense of where to look there.  It helps that I love that city.  And that I got lucky and found one particular store that sells me most of their allocation to get cash up front and all at once.  Their customers are into wine and not much into whiskey.

One day I will tater Paris.  It'll probably take two full days of effort because it is so huge with wine stores everywhere.  The wife will probably go nuts in their very impressive (at least to the women in the family) "thrift" stores.  I put "thrift" in quotes, because while cheap, they sell very nice things, or so I am told.  I once knew an attorney who, when she had kids, stopped practicing law for awhile and made a decent living buying at those stores and reselling in the US.  I suspect that those days I leave the Wifey unsupervised in those stores shall prove to be a bit expensive.

Needs must....

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

Nice. My wife will be in Paris in June. I may join her, if my passport renewal arrives in time. I need to get a debrief before she/we leave(s).

PS: If you are able to bring Obree some bottles, he might meet you in Paris or halfway.  That or ship, for shipping is also pretty cheap in the EU. He's a good guy. And very serious about reciprocity.  He'll have time to find things in advance. Some of the auction sites there are pretty wicked.

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Happy to chat. I have bought very, very little in Paris.  Mostly because I have not tried very hard and it's probably more heavily tatered. Get an hour outside of Paris and hit all the liquor stores on the map (which means you'll end up seeing the entire city, so your wife might not kill you) and you'll find the little places that carry it and aren't getting tatered too hard.  I did that in Bordeaux and have a pretty good sense of where to look there.  It helps that I love that city.  And that I got lucky and found one particular store that sells me most of their allocation to get cash up front and all at once.  Their customers are into wine and not much into whiskey.

One day I will tater Paris.  It'll probably take two full days of effort because it is so huge with wine stores everywhere.  The wife will probably go nuts in their very impressive (at least to the women in the family) "thrift" stores.  I put "thrift" in quotes, because while cheap, they sell very nice things, or so I am told.  I once knew an attorney who, when she had kids, stopped practicing law for awhile and made a decent living buying at those stores and reselling in the US.  I suspect that those days I leave the Wifey unsupervised in those stores shall prove to be a bit expensive.

Needs must....

It's probably not much different than when the Wifey leaves you unsupervised at liquor stores.... 😉

• I like it 2

30 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It's probably not much different than when the Wifey leaves you unsupervised at liquor stores.... 😉

See?  That's the problem.  Women stick together.  Men? Not so much.

And don't bring up stupid ideas like "But what I wrote is true".  

I'm learning - truth is an irrelevant social construct used for oppression!

"Help, help, I'm being oppressed!"

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Taking my vitamins...

20230414_223823.jpg

Got to grow up strong and healthy.  I do really like those Dickel 15yr single barrels.  So much flavor for only $55 in my area.

• I like it 2

41 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Got to grow up strong and healthy.  I do really like those Dickel 15yr single barrels.  So much flavor for only $55 in my area.

Agreed.

Rarely see it my neck if the woods, so I snagged one a  NOLA vacation,  for $58.00 as my "hotel"  whiskey. I duct-taped the cork, and stuck what you see in that bottle, in my checked luggage...

• I like it 1

Sitting by the pool with some Remus Repeal V after some homemade pesto.

• I like it 7

This is pretty solid, but  I doubt that I'll replace it, unless it goes on sale.

I bought it more for sentimental reasons,  as it reminds me of a private tasting that we had at Stitzel Weller a few years ago, where we had a very good time with some very good friends.

20230415_205859.jpg

• I like it 3

Old standby WT 101 here.  I earned it.  I've been doing lots of yard work - pruning trees, cutting grass.  🥵

• I like it 7

After a hiatus, I decided to open the cabinet. 
WT101 gets the honor (possibly the honor is mine.)  Good choice for my return. Nice to be back. 

Cheers 

• I like it 6

33 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

After a hiatus, I decided to open the cabinet. 
WT101 gets the honor (possibly the honor is mine.)  Good choice for my return. Nice to be back. 

Cheers 

Great to have you back! Cheers

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Great to have you back! Cheers

Thank you. 
It is nice to be here, with all of you great folks. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
  • I like it 3

23 minutes ago, Kepler said:

These are the best $21 bottles of whiskey that I've purchased.

20230416_005208.thumb.jpg.8da71f857aacbf2c8e5bb6be0560689d.jpg

😁😁$21 Ahhh, the good’ole days. 

• I like it 5

Found a grapefruit in the fridge that was getting pretty wrinkly so I juiced it and made a couple of Brown Derbies for the wife and me.  Oh, with WT101.

• I like it 1

So I tried the Bernheim BP Wheat Whisky, alot of subtle caramel , maybe some leather and oak. Definite ethanol finish at 119 proof. seems a bit weak flavor wise.  Going to let it rest after a good hour breath and see if it opens up. Might try a drop or two of water. First impressions is if it stays like this would not seek out. And BTW,  sales rep is way off. This is not a ECBP cousin. 

It's 45deg, windy, and dreary outside so I decided a nice barrel proofer was in order. This bottle opened up some after the initial pour a few weeks ago, which was welcomed to tame the ethanol down some. Much more enjoyable now.

20230416_150636.jpg

• I like it 4

Fixin’ to grill up some dogs on the grill, with a 4RSmB on a clear cube.  

• I like it 4

Cool and dreary all day.  Bookers Sip Awhile in the glass for a warm KY hug.  

• I like it 2