What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

1 hour ago, Grady330 said:

So I opened the Gold. WOW, what a difference from the regular Blanton's.  I have opened that door, now  to control  the consumption!!

Cool!  I much prefer the Gold to SFTB.  Too many SFTB’s have been hot messes on my palate, while every Gold has been delicious.  

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Right?  10 proof point increase, waaay more flavor. Blew me away the first time I tried it, and it was side by side with the regular.

Enjoy!

Have I spoiled myself?  How did you handle it? Keep looking for other great bourbons without breaking the bank? 

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, Grady330 said:

Have I spoiled myself?  How did you handle it? Keep looking for other great bourbons without breaking the bank?

This and trying KoK, among others have absolutely ruined me.  At least until I get humbled via blind tastings.  Starting to develop enough confidence in my still new palate to dare.

In my case, I drink fairly little.  2 oz on weekdays, 4 -6 on a weekend day, maybe. I also lack (other) expensive hobbies, at least for now.  And I happen to be in Europe enough to drop the cost some.  So it works.

I am enjoying the variety.  For me, ECBP, Bookers, KC Store picks, most 4R, RR SiB among others make for very nice drinking at somewhat lower prices.

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

This and trying KoK, among others have absolutely ruined me.  At least until I get humbled via blind tastings.  Starting to develop enough confidence in my still new palate to dare.

In my case, I drink fairly little.  2 oz on weekdays, 4 -6 on a weekend day, maybe. I also lack (other) expensive hobbies, at least for now.  And I happen to be in Europe enough to drop the cost some.  So it works.

I am enjoying the variety.  For me, ECBP, Bookers, KC Store picks, most 4R, RR SiB among others make for very nice drinking at somewhat lower prices.

I can really enjoy a WT101, a Col EHT, ECBP, Woodford Dbl Oak, Calumet 10, Nicholson 1843, WT rare Breed, and so on. So my strategic idea is to forget that I have an OPEN bottle of Gold. AND that it is the ONLY bottle of Gold I own!! All bets are off if I pick up another. To the challenge !!! TY for the advice. 

• I like it 2

52 minutes ago, Grady330 said:

AND that it is the ONLY bottle of Gold I own!!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.  Cold comfort, but perhaps adds a bit of extra savor to each sip.

I have certainly felt that way about some LE & store picks!

• I like it 1

Wife said she was in the mood for an Old Fashioned (after partaking of one of my world renowned pizzas).  So I whipped us up a couple using Pepper Single Barrel.  Didn't think of taking a picture of the drink but here is a picture of the pizza (Green Olive, Black Olive, Roma Tomato with a 4 cheese blend).

unnamed.thumb.jpg.e708db848d1231daad541011abb0ad04.jpg

• I like it 10

On 4/2/2023 at 4:35 PM, mal00768 said:

How does KoK compare to the 1920?

Better. It's richer, darker, thicker and more intense. Nothing against 1920 which is awesome in my book.

• I like it 2

On 4/7/2023 at 4:57 PM, JGriff said:

Passed on this one for so many years.  It’s probably my favorite daily sipper now.  4B2C7047-6587-486E-B70E-DB96B879E744.thumb.jpeg.0b15608cb210f71c0d0dd6dab0bf18f5.jpeg

I did the same and now I really like it.

I know I sound like a broken record at this point.  It simply amazes me how many times "I don't like something".  

Then I leave it be for months.

And then give it another try...and end up liking it.

WRDO last night.  Never really cared for it.  Cared for it quite a lot last night.  Long, chocolatey taste.  

This morphing palate has been so consistent, I wonder if my parents are going to show up and, once again, discuss "certain changes" with me.  

The reverse is less commonly true: That I dislike something I once liked. It has happened to an extent with finished bourbons. Having gotten into some good straight ones, some of the finished ones strike me as covering up for so-so distillate.  I'm looking at you, Rabbit Hole Dareinger. It just tastes rough to me.  Still like AE - but the higher proof one has way more flavor than the regular with a totally acceptable burn that doesn't really...burn.  Worth more than double the price?  To me, yes.

I am starting to pick up basic notes...the banana bread in OF, the peanuts in Beam (especially in Bookers 2022-4, wow, that is peanuts all the way).  The funk at the end of WT has always been one I could detect.  Until the blinds begin, anyway!

Evolution, I suppose.

WRDO.jpg

• I like it 7

BBC Origin high rye...

Sweet front end, prominent raisin after, followed by bitter oak. Not a high rye burn, but a warming effect; nice & easy overall...

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 2

looking for suggestions as to what bourbon goes good with a round of covid on this nice weathered Easter Sunday. 

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Double C's said:

looking for suggestions as to what bourbon goes good with a round of covid on this nice weathered Easter Sunday. 

Anything that you can taste!

Hope ya feel better!!

• I like it 3

Bowman Small Batch while enjoying some Sunshine after a nice family Easter Celebration.  

321CB904-196D-4E29-9736-360F3428C0D6.jpeg

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

Bowman Small Batch while enjoying some Sunshine after a nice family Easter Celebration.  

321CB904-196D-4E29-9736-360F3428C0D6.jpeg

That is a great pour.

They are doing great things at Bowman.

The John J. Bowman has been flying under the radar.

I hope it stays there!

• I like it 3

Four Roses Small Batch Select tonight.  Cinnamon red hots and brown sugar for days, then oak tannins at the end. My palate is not sophisticated enough to pick up anything more, but it's enough to make me go back for seconds.

There's something about the Four Roses profile that, to me, finishes with that tannic dryness you might get after eating walnuts.  And it hangs around. It seems to whisper, "I'll give you some candy if you lick this white oak board later.  Don't worry, you'll enjoy the experience." 

I have found that whispering bourbon seldom lies. 

• I like it 5

On 4/8/2023 at 2:48 PM, Grady330 said:

So I opened the Gold. WOW, what a difference from the regular Blanton's.  I have opened that door, now  to control  the consumption!!

Excellent, really enjoyable pour, worth opening the bottle, right?

14 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I cannot let an ice ball go to waste.

Nope! Can't do it!

20230409_181916.jpg

Quite a proofy JD barrel strength! nice!

23 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I know I sound like a broken record at this point.  It simply amazes me how many times "I don't like something".  

Then I leave it be for months.

And then give it another try...and end up liking it.

WRDO last night.  Never really cared for it.  Cared for it quite a lot last night.  Long, chocolatey taste.  

This morphing palate has been so consistent, I wonder if my parents are going to show up and, once again, discuss "certain changes" with me.  

The reverse is less commonly true: That I dislike something I once liked. It has happened to an extent with finished bourbons. Having gotten into some good straight ones, some of the finished ones strike me as covering up for so-so distillate.  I'm looking at you, Rabbit Hole Dareinger. It just tastes rough to me.  Still like AE - but the higher proof one has way more flavor than the regular with a totally acceptable burn that doesn't really...burn.  Worth more than double the price?  To me, yes.

I am starting to pick up basic notes...the banana bread in OF, the peanuts in Beam (especially in Bookers 2022-4, wow, that is peanuts all the way).  The funk at the end of WT has always been one I could detect.  Until the blinds begin, anyway!

Evolution, I suppose.

WRDO.jpg

Fantastic journey to go through, see something similar happening, evolving nose and taste, and preference. Love it!

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Double C's said:

Something with good proof, to increase the chance of tasting at least  bit of it:D

Last week was a family vacation to DC with the kiddos.  We walked our asses off so after dinner I pretty much just crashed every night and didn't really drink.  Friday night we headed back home on Amtrak and I swear that tiny bottle of Maker's Mark from the food car was the best freakin' Maker's I've ever had. 🤣  Saturday at home was a few healthy pours of Eagle Rare to make up for lost time.  😋

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Obree said:

Excellent, really enjoyable pour, worth opening the bottle, right?

Was definitely worth it, what a pour!!

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Obree said:

Quite a proofy JD barrel strength! nice!

It's very, very good and, for whatever reason, flies under the radar.   It's also a steal ~ $65.00 

• I like it 4