What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

On 4/8/2023 at 10:24 AM, smokinjoe said:

Cool!  I much prefer the Gold to SFTB.  Too many SFTB’s have been hot messes on my palate, while every Gold has been delicious.  

I hope to get to "every Gold " status !!! 

• I like it 1

It's Monday.

4 pm is tardy, I just know it, the clock lies.

Feeeeed me Seymour.

Larceny C922.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It's very, very good and, for whatever reason, flies under the radar.   It's also a steal ~ $65.00 

Nice find at that price!

27 minutes ago, Obree said:

Nice find at that price!

Thanks! 

I bought a few at that price.   It goes on sale around here, (Baltimore Metro area....which is the East Coast...about 45 minutes South of Washington DC), for as low as $61.00.

All of my bottles are store picks, that my favorite LS carries, (carried), and who selected a couple of amazing barrels.   They also sell them for $5.00 less than the shelf price and let you try before you buy.

That being said, I've had the standard, (non barrel pick bottles), and they're very good too.   I don't believe that you can go wrong with the JDSBBP.    

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks! 

I bought a few at that price.   It goes on sale around here, (Baltimore Metro area....which is the East Coast...about 45 minutes South of Washington DC), for as low as $61.00.

All of my bottles are store picks, that my favorite LS carries, (carried), and who selected a couple of amazing barrels.   They also sell them for $5.00 less than the shelf price and let you try before you buy.

That being said, I've had the standard, (non barrel pick bottles), and they're very good too.   I don't believe that you can go wrong with the JDSBBP.    

Could not agree more, excellent value for money. For us on the European side it is a little harder to get different batches, and barrel picks are even harder to find. Got one from LMDW, that's it!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks! 

I highlighted the part about the actions of your LS owner.  His bourbon Karma is super high! 

9 hours ago, Obree said:

Something with good proof, to increase the chance of tasting at least  bit of it:D

I went with this option yesterday while cooking a ham.

20230409_174818.jpg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I highlighted the part about the actions of your LS owner.  His bourbon Karma is super high! 

I know, right?

Every time I'm in the neighborhood,  I stop in.

It's a good that they're 45 minutes from our house, or I'd go broke!

They helped Mrs. Skinsfan get a couple special, and hard to find, bottles of Scotch that she surprised me with over the past couple of Christmases...

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

Penelope Architect, while listening to 'The Paris Sessions" by the Art Ensemble of Chicago.  (I suspect there are a few jazz fans here......)

• I like it 3

I tried to like this but it just didn't cooperate.  Musty, funky notes on the nose and palate make this pretty much undrinkable.  This may be a drain pour...

McKenzie rye.jpg

• I like it 2

Makers Mark Wood Finishing Series BRT-01. 109.4 proof. Caramel nose, sweet, caramel chocolate after. A little ethanol, long finish. Very Good. Would buy again. Seems limited in my AO. 

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, fosmith said:

I tried to like this but it just didn't cooperate.  Musty, funky notes on the nose and palate make this pretty much undrinkable.  This may be a drain pour...

McKenzie rye.jpg

Sometimes I save those for gatherings when BIL's are over( 4 of them) I hype it a bit, and let them make really strange mixers out of it. Makes them feel like they are getting the best of me!! 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Makers Mark Wood Finishing Series BRT-01. 109.4 proof. Caramel nose, sweet, caramel chocolate after. A little ethanol, long finish. Very Good. Would buy again. Seems limited in my AO. 

May be the best bottle I have opened this year so far. I get hazelnut, heavily. I have about half left, but am hoping to stumble on a spare...

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, fosmith said:

McKenzie rye.jpg

I really liked this one.  I guess everyone's taste's are different.  I'll be in CA next week and will be glad to take it off your hands. 😉

OGD 114 on a clear cube, this late afternoon.  And, it is wonderful.  

• I like it 4

Some Green River neat after pulling the winter cover off the pool today.

• I like it 3

The Eagle has landed. It’s been a while since I’ve had a pour of this one. I forgot just how great this bourbon is. 

IMG_1795.thumb.jpeg.feb8294746c7d36217f630606f323768.jpeg

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The Eagle has landed. It’s been a while since I’ve had a pour of this one. I forgot just how great this bourbon is. 

IMG_1795.thumb.jpeg.feb8294746c7d36217f630606f323768.jpeg

And then there was Weller……..

…..IMG_1799.thumb.jpeg.0ad574c330b19fcb9564c5ce7e21bd55.jpeg

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

And then there was Weller…..

And finally, Heaven. I had a great evening earlier. Celebrating for a change. 

IMG_1801.thumb.jpeg.06362c5188c5fd804d04d9d8a15f3af5.jpeg

• I like it 4

20 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

I really liked this one.  I guess everyone's taste's are different.  I'll be in CA next week and will be glad to take it off your hands. 😉

Seriously, @TwoFingersif you are going to be in the Bay Area, give me a holler.  Maybe we can share a dram or two and I'll happily let you take the McKenzie off my hands. 

On 4/10/2023 at 10:26 PM, G L Tirebiter said:

Penelope Architect, while listening to 'The Paris Sessions" by the Art Ensemble of Chicago.  (I suspect there are a few jazz fans here......)

You suspect correctly!    My favorite AEC record is their ECM date, Nice Guys.   

On 4/10/2023 at 10:18 PM, fosmith said:

McKenzie rye.jpg

I received a single barrel 6yr high rye bourbon from them as a gift, I couldn't get through a pour. Went back a couple weeks later and same. I am also considering a drain pour, awful stuff. 

• I like it 1