What Bourbon Are you Drinking Summer 2023?

mbroo5880i

I was taking the dog out after dinner and the wife asked if I wanted a bourbon.  Rhetorical, right?  I told her to surprise me.

She picked the Remus Repeal V and quite the heavy-handed pour.   Man, I love that woman!

IMG_1030.jpeg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

I was taking the dog out after dinner and the wife asked if I wanted a bourbon.  Rhetorical, right?  I told her to surprise me.

She picked the Remus Repeal V and quite the heavy-handed pour.   Man, I love that woman!

IMG_1030.jpeg

Wow!  Maybe it's a perspective thing, but that looks like half a pint.  She's a keeper!

• I like it 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:00 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

There was a distinctive aroma in the air that night as well...😉

Having returned from NYC about a week ago,  I can testify that the aroma isn't all that distinctive anymore.

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

Last night was a pour of WT101 while I worked on some last minute changes to my bow before our archery season opens next weekend. I have strayed away from it for a while from some unknown reason, but was reminded last night that I need to revisit the WT101 on a more regular basis.

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Last night I had pours of WFP and Old Rip 10.  Both hit the spot for me.

How could they not?  Both great pours..

• I like it 2

Rough work week! What brings happiness? A freezer pour of MM. Next, an Old Soul SiB. After, we'll wait 'til that time get's here...

• I like it 3

It's been stinkin' hot all day, but it's a bit cooler now as I sit on and the porch and sip before the Phillies get underway.

Enjoying another blended concoction of 50/50 Four Roses Small Batch Select and Michter's Single Barrel Rye.  

I love these bou-ryes,  and this one's a combination I'll repeat again.  The goal was to up the sweetness while lowering the proof to under 100,  but these two just mesh like the gears of a timepiece.

20230908_184753.jpg

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 5

I got around to opening the Stedman's Select I bought on a lark.  I was slightly dismayed to discover the 36 month age statement while reading the label more closely in the bright light of my kitchen.  (I thought it was no age statement - 4 years).  Anyway, how does it taste - on the sweet side, not complicated, no rough edges.  It's really a lot like the Clark & Sheffield I brought home from Binny's.

Nothing wrong with it, considering I paid <$15.

Next time though, I'll go to one of my favorite stores and spend just a few bucks more for the VOB 100. 

• I like it 3

Fall seems to be rapidly approaching in the Great Midwest, but nevertheless I enjoyed for a second consecutive day a lovely freezer pour of Ancient Ancient Age.  So sweet and easy going from the icebox. Even better, I decanted it from the handle into a previously conquered FRSiB bottle so it would fit better in the freezer. It's a scientifically proven fact that bourbon makes an effort to rise to the quality level of the container in which it resides.

• I like it 4

I felt like something a little nicer for this fine college football Saturday.  Love this stuff.  Such a nice long finish.

20230909_162309.thumb.jpg.809a4ea7b40d93827a2dc2a249931dee.jpg

• I like it 10

This one has a great bourbon nose, sweet and floral on the first sip, initial finish is similar to novocaine, but a minute later it turns to sweet caramel. I'm still debating if I want to buy a second bottle. It is a fantastic 10 year bourbon

20230909_164846.thumb.jpg.7ccf8627456fe6e75e7307b1883b93c8.jpg20230909_113615.thumb.jpg.a5c66ff3403b1cb3be10923f99d68be6.jpg

• I like it 4

Finished off my last HMcK BIB 10 YR #2498 (which is one of the few (less than four) SiB's I have HUNTED - bought six+ during a 4-hour drive hitting VA ABC stores on the ABC delivery route).  Was still thirsty while watching the delayed Dodgers @ Nats game so reached into the shelf and picked out an ER 10YR 90 proof I bought and opened a few weeks ago.  I'm limiting how much of it I sip as I had two 5% ABV few beers early afternoon today and don't want to drink just to drink.  My sweet spot usually is 5 to 8 yrs @ 100 proof, but this is really nice for closing out the day.

Good night, you all.

• I like it 3

Just in case it would influence your choice of libation, I have learned through the interwebs that today is Jimmy Russell's 69th Anniversary at Wild Turkey. 

For reference, that's about 34 more years than I plan to give to my present place of employment, but then again, my job isn't nearly as fun (or rewarding).

Whatever you're drinking, raise a glass to Jimmy.  

IMG_20230910_131032.jpg

• I like it 8

Chattanooga Cask over a big cube while grill prepping for Teriyaki Salmon.  

BFE33C83-3977-4CD3-BA66-E75C319B5B7C.jpeg

• I like it 3