What Bourbon Are you Drinking Summer 2023?

mbroo5880i

I hauled down an 'old' bottle of 'Old Bardstown' KSBW, Estate Bottled (whatever that might mean), 101-proof.   This is the older style, kinda squat, round bottle, not the newer style squarish taller one.   It's pretty good Bourbon.   Heaven Hill distillate, I'm pretty sure... or mostly that.   

I should do a SBS with a bottle of Old Bardstown BIB from last Spring (the newer style, that's all Willett-distilled).   I'm wondering how much different they'll be.   My guess?   Probably pretty similar; but not identical.   

I'll let y'all know in a week or two, whenever I get around to ding the SBS.

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Thomm said:

Was going to limit myself to one WSR pour tonight, but LOML fell asleep on the couch and left me unsupervised.  OF 100 bottle gestured from across the room.  "You had me at bourbon," I whispered, as I slowly turned the delicate metal screw cap in a counterclockwise direction.  I feel so dirty.

We've all been there.  More than once.

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, Thomm said:

Was going to limit myself to one WSR pour tonight, but LOML fell asleep on the couch and left me unsupervised.  OF 100 bottle gestured from across the room.  "You had me at bourbon," I whispered, as I slowly turned the delicate metal screw cap in a counterclockwise direction.  I feel so dirty.

By LOML, are you talking about your signifcant other or bourbon?  

Alrighty then. I opened a HH 7 BIB this evening. In the “What Bourbon Did You Purchse” thread, @mbroo5880i ask me to provide an expert review. I don’t know about expert, but I’ll do my best. Not copping out, but it’s been a while since I’ve done this. Begging y’alls indulgence here. 🙏

On first opening, the nose surprised me a bit. The only way I can describe it is a sweetness resembling a freshly baked cookie(s) of some sort. I had to chuckle a bit about that. My wife baked a few batches of cookies early last week. What can I say? 😆 I tried the HH 7  straight, with a few drops of water, then on ice. As expected, there were differences, but none that I can separate and specifically describe. Sorry. 😏 The overall synopsis: Nicely viscous with a pleasant vegetal, earthy flavor on entry. Same on mid-palate with a bit of warming and a very slight spiciness showing up. The finish was medium warm and medium long. IMHO, it’s a pretty darned good bourbon. It would probably be even better if the price was at least $10.00 cheaper. 😬 Just being honest. 🤗

• I like it 4

JBDC on a beautiful afternoon on the deck.  I put the pool furniture away today prepping to shut it down this weekend.  Lows at night are near 50, pool time is over.🥶

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Lows at night are near 50, pool time is over.🥶

I could do some of that. We still have about 20 degrees to go!!!

-----

1st time with Old Tub. Not bad but, doesn't make me give up the OGD BiB. I'd rather the red hots & spice. Also, I'd much prefer the JB SiB, but that's 108 proof so not really fair...

Next, I tried an Old KC; a 50/50 blend of Old Tub and KC 9. It was a step up, however it doesn't warrant a downgrade of the KC9. I do think the OT would be nice for cocktails, but not better than the OF100.

For me, I will enjoy this bottle but not a re-buy!!!

• I like it 3

Still working through my July road trip bottles, tonight we cracked the Rebel Cask Strength Binny's store pick barrel #3263.  The store had 6 or 7 different barrels IIRC, each with its own description.  This one had me at "peach cobbler."  I've learned that I am a sucker for bourbons with strong baked goods notes, lol.  I'll let Binny's description stand; it's pretty accurate.

The aroma snuck up on my nose even as the glass was sitting on my desk and, like the Lucky Seven Holiday Toast I tried two nights ago, the notes on nose are like a dozen showgirls or dancers vying for attention, each one squeezing their way to the front of the pack to be noticed, so that each sniff presents something a little different.  I just got banana Runts, now it's apple spice cake.  On the palate it's like the music started and the dancers all have to keep their place, so it is more of a medley than many different notes coming one after the other. 

It does not  seem like 120 proof on the nose or palate til the finish, which gives a nice Kentucky hug.  I should have tried this in the parking lot and gone back in for more; too late now that I am back home in CA.

Rebel Pick Label.jpg

Rebel Pick.jpg

• I like it 8

This is our new puppy, Freddie, who rather enjoys listening to jazz with the old man.  Tonight's a 50/50 blend of Nelson Bros. Classic and Belle Meade Reserve.  Tastes like cherry pie.

20230917_180336.jpg

• I like it 8

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Alrighty then. I opened a HH 7 BIB this evening. In the “What Bourbon Did You Purchse” thread, @mbroo5880i ask me to provide an expert review. I don’t know about expert, but I’ll do my best. Not copping out, but it’s been a while since I’ve done this. Begging y’alls indulgence here. 🙏

On first opening, the nose surprised me a bit. The only way I can describe it is a sweetness resembling a freshly baked cookie(s) of some sort. I had to chuckle a bit about that. My wife baked a few batches of cookies early last week. What can I say? 😆 I tried the HH 7  straight, with a few drops of water, then on ice. As expected, there were differences, but none that I can separate and specifically describe. Sorry. 😏 The overall synopsis: Nicely viscous with a pleasant vegetal, earthy flavor on entry. Same on mid-palate with a bit of warming and a very slight spiciness showing up. The finish was medium warm and medium long. IMHO, it’s a pretty darned good bourbon. It would probably be even better if the price was at least $10.00 cheaper. 😬 Just being honest. 🤗

Sadly, I've never seen a bottle.  My beach bottle of Henry McKenna bit it, and i should head out to the store because I don't have any bunkered HH of any variety.  

Pikesville is the mistress I pine for,  but I'll settle for a cheap date with Elijah Craig

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, markandrex said:

JBDC on a beautiful afternoon on the deck.  I put the pool furniture away today prepping to shut it down this weekend.  Lows at night are near 50, pool time is over.🥶

I've got one last bottle of that bunkered.  I should pull it out - it always hits the spot 

13 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I could do some of that. We still have about 20 degrees to go!!!

-----

1st time with Old Tub. Not bad but, doesn't make me give up the OGD BiB. I'd rather the red hots & spice. Also, I'd much prefer the JB SiB, but that's 108 proof so not really fair...

Next, I tried an Old KC; a 50/50 blend of Old Tub and KC 9. It was a step up, however it doesn't warrant a downgrade of the KC9. I do think the OT would be nice for cocktails, but not better than the OF100.

For me, I will enjoy this bottle but not a re-buy!!!

Pretty well sums up my reaction to Old Tub, not a drain pour but definitely no need to replace.

I looked far and wide to find when it first became available.  Generally I gravitate to bottled in bond.

My reaction to this one - simply tastes how I'd imagine young (too young) Beam juice at 100 proof. 😐

JBDC on the other hand 🥰 wow, too bad it's long gone anywhere around here.  I'd get back into dusty hunting if that was an option.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, IamMatt said:

It does not  seem like 120 proof on the nose or palate til the finish, which gives a nice Kentucky hug.  I should have tried this in the parking lot and gone back in for more; too late now that I am back home in CA.

Matt, you might want to grab one (or more) of the three Rebel picks that K&L currently has on sale.  One for $40 and two under $30.  I recently finished one of them and it was delicious enough to force me to buy the others.  At those prices, how could I not? 

• I like it 4

OESQ pvt selection.  10 yr 5 mos. Bottled May 2022, 59.41%.  Label says Brent Elliott picked it.  I think it was a special offer at one of my favorite local purveyors.  This also my favorite 4R recipe - tons of fruit with a hint of cinnamon toast.  One ice machine cube for something different.

• I like it 4

20 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

This is our new puppy, Freddie, who rather enjoys listening to jazz with the old man.  Tonight's a 50/50 blend of Nelson Bros. Classic and Belle Meade Reserve.  Tastes like cherry pie.

20230917_180336.jpg

I am a dog sap. See the what cartoon do you like thread in Off Topics.  I suspect he has no choice but to listen to jazz and hanging with his human "daddy."  I suspect you are ok with this arrangement as well. 🙂

Enjoy your new family member and your time together listening to your favorite music and sipping good whiskey!

• I like it 2

On 9/19/2023 at 10:32 AM, fosmith said:

Matt, you might want to grab one (or more) of the three Rebel picks that K&L currently has on sale.  One for $40 and two under $30.  I recently finished one of them and it was delicious enough to force me to buy the others.  At those prices, how could I not? 

My favorite LS did a Rebel CS barrel pick and, for $39.99, it's a steal. Why weren't flying off the shelf is a head-scratcher,  but good for me. I picked up a couple at that price.  

• I like it 2

John J. Bowman in the glass, and decanter😎

I love TNF...it's, yet another, great excuse to bend my "no alcohol during the week" rule. 

20230921_204637.jpg

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love TNF...it's, yet another, great excuse to bend my "no alcohol during the week" rule. 

20230921_204637.jpg

Not that I need an excuse but that was the one I used tonight as well!  😀

Edited by mbroo5880i

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Not that I need an excuse but that was the one I used tonight as well!  😀

GMTA!

I figure, one pour per quarter and maybe, just maybe,  one at halftime 😂

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

My favorite LS did a Rebel CS barrel pick and, for $39.99, it's a steal. Why weren't flying off the shelf is a head-scratcher,  but good for me. I picked up a couple at that price.  

Tater's and flippers have a price minimum of $50 unless some media darling tells them it is the best whiskey they have ever tasted.  😀  

I saw Dragon Milk (look it up) just returned to the local Meijer.  It gets cleared off the shelf while stellar whiskey like FR SiB, WTRB, OF1920 is always available.  I like the media darlings.  They distract others from what I like.  Sure, I like FR LESmB, GTS, WLW, etc but those are almost less obtainable than a date with Heidi Klum.  Outside of beating astronomical lottery odds, I am too ugly to be to considered.  Of course, she has never seen me with my shirt off.  If she did, my odds would decrease even more.  😀  But, what if I had a bottle of Blanton's in my hand?  Yeh, I know the answer already.  😜

• I like it 2

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

GMTA!

I figure, one pour per quarter and maybe, just maybe,  one at halftime 😂

😜 We won't tell any one.

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Obviously you, @Fosmith, and I have to meet in the geographic middle and share samples of our Rebel picks!  Maybe the geographic center is in Indiana and @Mbroo5880i can join.

• I like it 4

20 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

20230921_204637.jpg

That looks like Fred Mertz in the pink doo rag in the background.

• I like it 2