What Bourbon Are you Drinking Summer 2023?

mbroo5880i

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Tater's and flippers have a price minimum of $50 unless some media darling tells them it is the best whiskey they have ever tasted.  😀  

I saw Dragon Milk (look it up) just returned to the local Meijer.  It gets cleared off the shelf while stellar whiskey like FR SiB, WTRB, OF1920 is always available.  I like the media darlings.  They distract others from what I like.  Sure, I like FR LESmB, GTS, WLW, etc but those are almost less obtainable than a date with Heidi Klum.  Outside of beating astronomical lottery odds, I am too ugly to be to considered.  Of course, she has never seen me with my shirt off.  If she did, my odds would decrease even more.  😀  But, what if I had a bottle of Blanton's in my hand?  Yeh, I know the answer already.  😜

Amen!

The same LS had an insanely good KCSB Rye pick. It's a 6 year+ and 115 proof for $39.99.  I bought a few.

When will people learn that you don't have to pay big $$$ for great whiskey?

Now that I've had a few seconds to think about it, I hope that they never learn!

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

That looks like Fred Mertz in the pink doo rag in the background.

Indeed. 

It is Fred Mertz.

He still makes us laugh.

• I like it 3

Abraham Bowman LE from Nov 2014 - 90 proof, 5 YO, the last two years had vanilla bean(s) in the barrel.  It is, as expected, VANILLA FORWARD.  The underlying bourbon is A.Smith Bowman's 90 proof 5 YO which many years ago was called "The Fox" and came with a hunting scene on the label.  ASB's basic bourbon back then was (as it is today) Virginia Gentleman 80 proof maybe 3 could be 4 years old.  It was distilled and barreled in Fairfax, Virginia.  After Saz/BT bought ASB,  the still ws moved to Fredericksburg, VA, where it sits today.  New make is distilled and shipped from BT's Kentucky distillery and is redistilled and then barreled and bottled in F'burg. 

• I like it 2

I'm sitting at the bar at the historic Cottonwood Hotel in Omaha, Nebraska, sipping a few things I've never tried before.   (I'm in Omaha to break bread with a great client; first trip out here post- pandemic.)

First up was Basil Hayden Dark Rye, which is technically a "specialty whiskey"  because it's rye (both Beam rye and Canadian rye from (I assume) Alberta Distillers) blended with port.   It sure hit the spot after a long plane flight - all jammy fruits and rye spice, and not overdone at all - a taste treat.   In the glass right now is Uncle Nearest 1884, which is apparently 100% their own distillate ( it sure as heck ain't Dickel)   I can't say I'd invest in a bottle, but it's got some depth and nuanced flavor that has me attached quite pleasantly to the barstool.

20230921_220754.jpg

• I like it 5

Picked up a good friend coming in to Boston from St. Louis at the airport last night (at midnight - yikes!).  Here's a pic from "the morning after" in the light of day:

Perkins late night.jpg

SWMBO already washed the glencairns before quietly shipping out for work a little while ago.  Heading out to Concord and Lexington today for the Revolutionary War tour, granddaughter #1's soccer game in Lexington in the late afternoon, a tasting of Pommery champagne at Wegman's Burlington, then dinner at The Capital Grille Burlington to put a serious hit on my wine locker (Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame, 2015 Shafer Hillside Select, and some 1970 Taylor vintage port with dessert).  Good thing SWMBO has already volunteered to be the "designated driver" to get us home tonite!   🥳

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 12

Good Morning!

My idiot-proof method of keeping track of how many pours I've had, is to use a new glass each time😉

20230922_083349.jpg

• I like it 6

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Picked up a good friend coming in to Boston from St. Louis at the airport last night (at midnight - yikes!).  Here's a pic from "the morning after" in the light of day:

Perkins late night.jpg

SWMBO already washed the glencairns before quietly shipping out for work a little while ago.  Heading out to Concord and Lexington today for the Revolutionary War tour, granddaughter #1's soccer game in Lexington in the late afternoon, a tasting of Pommery champagne at Wegman's Burlington, then dinner at The Capital Grille Burlington to put a serious hit on my wine locker (Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame, 2015 Shafer Hillside Select, and some 1970 Taylor vintage port with dessert).  Good thing SWMBO has already volunteered to be the "designated driver" to get us home tonite!   🥳

I like how the Blanton's stopper is cockeyed - says it all. 🫠

• I like it 1

OGD 114. LS just got a 6 pack. Grabbed 2 . Forgot how good it is. Have not seen it for over a year. $32 each. Not bad here in the Hamptons!!!

• I like it 2

Returned to PR yesterday after very little sleep. Had a nice tipple of OWA and went nighty-night. My first bourbon in 3 weeks, happy to be home.

PS: The dollar buys a lot in Argentina right now (avoid the official exchange rate, it's half the "blue market" aka "real" rate). Worth a cheap flight (off-season now) to Buenos Aires or Mendoza if you are looking to gain some quality weight.

OWA.jpg

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 2

That was then. This is today. Making up my mind whether or not to add this one to that "overpaid" thread at @ $110. But wanted to try some of the (in)famous dusties. So here we are.

WT AN.jpg

• I like it 4

On 9/18/2023 at 11:24 PM, Jazzhead said:

Tonight's a 50/50 blend of Nelson Bros. Classic and Belle Meade Reserve

That Belle Meade Reserve is one I started out not liking. A year later...I like it a lot. I'll have to look for some of those, I still see them here & there for $70 or so. Think I'll have that one next.

52 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Returned to PR yesterday after very little sleep. Had a nice tipple of OWA and went nighty-night. My first bourbon in 3 weeks, happy to be home.

Captain PR.jpg

• I like it 6

Just now, IamMatt said:

Captain PR.jpg

YES!

And trust me, Puerto Ricans love that meme and will not let you forget it. Ever!

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

That was then. This is today. Making up my mind whether or not to add this one to that "overpaid" thread at @ $110. But wanted to try some of the (in)famous dusties. So here we are.

WT AN.jpg

I paid $300 for an ‘88 3 years ago so IMO you didn’t overpay at all. 

• I like it 3

I missed my Preciouses. And that post made me think of the Belle Meade Reserve, like Pavlov's bell. And soooooo......

BMR.jpg

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I paid $300 for an ‘88 3 years ago so IMO you didn’t overpay at all. 

This one isn't doing much for me. I presently (my palate is still super fickle and clearly embryonic, so tense matters a lot) prefer the Saffell over this bottle for nearly the same price. Granted, the older one is a lower proof. But, while I've learned to enjoy higher proofs, I'm no proof hound. For example, with SFTB I think I prefer lower to higher. Dunno, just random, super general thoughts, YMMV - and indeed, yours does! I certainly appreciate the comment & feedback. I'll keep at it, I have noticed that some bottles that I did not initially like I later like, sometimes quite a lot. That fickle & embryonic palate thing, again.

The Old WT AN 101 proofs are supposed to be better than this lower-proof version. Will have to try one at Neat or some similar place before shelling out the federal reserve notes.

23 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

This one isn't doing much for me. I presently (my palate is still super fickle and clearly embryonic, so tense matters a lot) prefer the Saffell over this bottle for nearly the same price. Granted, the older one is a lower proof. But, while I've learned to enjoy higher proofs, I'm no proof hound. For example, with SFTB I think I prefer lower to higher. Dunno, just random, super general thoughts, YMMV - and indeed, yours does! I certainly appreciate the comment & feedback. I'll keep at it, I have noticed that some bottles that I did not initially like I later like, sometimes quite a lot. That fickle & embryonic palate thing, again.

The Old WT AN 101 proofs are supposed to be better than this lower-proof version. Will have to try one at Neat or some similar place before shelling out the federal reserve notes.

I didn’t catch that it isn’t a 101. I’ll bet it improves with air. A lot of people say that’s bullocks but not to me. It’s more common than not to my palate. 

• I like it 2

21 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I’ll bet it improves with air. A lot of people say that’s bullocks but not to me. It’s more common than not to my palate. 

That has very much been my experience.

12 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Perkins late night.jpg

So, you ate Farmhouse Cookies?!  What's the big deal?  😜😀😎

Though I will admit they are pretty good.  😀

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good Morning!

My idiot-proof method of keeping track of how many pours I've had, is to use a new glass each time😉

Mine too!  😀

image.webp.65ec1474ffd069f8264b98077944ee28.webp

• I like it 1