What Bourbon Are you Drinking Summer 2023?

mbroo5880i

35 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Bottle kill ECBP on a cube. 

IMG_4612.jpeg

The Cardinal looks none too happy.  He is working hard to keep the ball above water.  

• I like it 1

Just now, mbroo5880i said:

The Cardinal looks none too happy.  He is working hard to keep the ball above water.  

Haha! I didn't catch that till you said something.

Cardinal: "Whammie, you SOB! get me outta here!"

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

At least his dogs claw to go outdoors, could be worse...

The funny thing is they poop in unison.  Often facing each other.  I used to thing that dogs only faced the north to poop but I don't believe my dogs adhere to that rule.  😃

The things we learn while drinking America's drink...no not Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi... bourbon.  😃

• I like it 1

Started with a bit of Blue Note Juke Joint UCUF barrel pick, moving on to ECBP C922.  Probably tick with this for the duration.

• I like it 2

Just now, JCwhammie said:

Haha! I didn't catch that till you said something.

Cardinal: "Whammie, you SOB! get me outta here!"

Or, like most of us, he is probably ok with taking a bath in bourbon.  

• I like it 1

Just now, IamMatt said:

Started with a bit of Blue Note Juke Joint UCUF barrel pick, moving on to ECBP C922.  Probably tick with this for the duration.

Is it tick season in Cali?  😃  JK, just being my usual silly self. 

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, MM818 said:

A little New Riff Single Barrel PS  magic. So dang good. 

IMG_1103.jpeg

Look at the legs in that glass!  Stellar.  New Riff is a great distiller.  Nice neck pour, btw!

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Bottle kill ECBP on a cube. 

IMG_4612.jpeg

Heaven Hill removing the 12 yr AS is shame. But here’s to good whiskey continuing and hopefully the 12 AS returns. 

• I like it 2

A freshly opened OGD114 over a cube.  Glorious.  Sitting out front listening to Braves on the radio, and although it is 70 degrees, it feels a bit Fall-ish.  Long sleeves for me, tonight!  Wussy…😂😂

• I like it 2

22 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Is it tick season in Cali?  😃  JK, just being my usual silly self. 

I don't even know how to respond to that.  Never had a tick problem here in the burbs, but have battled raccoons, skunks, and possums, and currently we have had a lot of "ankle biter" mosquitos and spiders.  I've relocated (to hell) two brown widows and their webs in my deck box and one in my trash bin.

34 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Sorry, I just gotta say that ECBP rocks.  I could spend hours just nosing this stuff.  Even 3 inches from my nose it is beautiful.  Sorry.  Carry on.

• I like it 3

45 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Awesome glass!  MM 46 CS is always a treat.  I actually prefer the standard MM 46 CS over the various private selections and stave variations.

Thanks! 

I got the glass at the Bowman distillery a few years ago. We rarely buy anything at distilleries, but I always have a bottle of the John J Bowman SB on hand, and wanted a decanter for it.  I got a nice looking one, along with that glass.  They have a really slick logo.

I was gifted one of the private selections bottles,  but I don't see myself dusting the cobwebs out of my wallet to pony up for one.

This one good, but the MM 46 CS is better.

That being said, I think that the MM101 is the best of the bunch...

20230915_215026.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

Heaven Hill removing the 12 yr AS is shame. But here’s to good whiskey continuing and hopefully the 12 AS returns. 

Fear not.

The C923 is 13 year

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 3

3 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Fear not.

The C923 is 13 year

I also heard that the C923 was 13 year age stated.   But who knows how many ECBP batches in the past could have carried an older age statement than 12 years, if HH wanted to publish it that way?  Well, it's just a hypothetical question that we will never know the answer to.

• I like it 3

Staying up past my bedtime enjoying this pour. I’ve been nursing this bottle along. I need to increase the frequency to finish it off.

IMG_1111.jpeg

• I like it 7

I was working in the yard when a much needed shower popped up.  Since it was too much to continue, I decided to grab a freezer pour (HH 6 yr. Green label) and head indoors.  First world problems.  

• I like it 6

Should have put this in the Bourbon Memes post but it seemed appropriate.

Morder Meme.jpg

Edited by IamMatt
  • I like it 4

4 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Should have put this in the Bourbon Memes post but it seemed appropriate.

Edited by IamMatt

Getting back to my July road trip bottles, we are moving on to Lucky Seven Holiday Toast Batch 6.  KSBW, distilled in KY, bottled by Bardstown Bourbon Company, NAS but with a secondary aging in toasted new American oak barrels.  Beautiful dark golden color, apparently from the secondary aging.

Wonderful nose that presents different notes as you progress.  The classic vanilla and caramel are on the bottom layer, with baking spices on top, almost an apple pie note, with subtle age notes of sweet pipe tobacco and cardboard.  Just got one whiff of absolute buttered French toast with maple syrup.  That note keeps popping up.  Makes me want some bacon.  Not too much ethanol for 115 proof.  

Creamy mouthfeel, the ethanol hits harder up front on the palate that the nose would suggest.  Nose notes mostly translate to the palate, though I'm not getting as much buttered French toast as I would like.  I have had this once before when I was in Bardstown and my recollection is that I got more of the French toast on the palate than this time so it might be my palate, or the fact that this is my first bourbon of the day, or that it is a fresh crack and has not opened up yet.  Oh, now I am getting some on the finish, which is quite long.

I look forward to revisiting this one over the months to come.

I truly think I am going to go to my favorite breakfast place tomorrow for French toast and bacon.

Lucky Seven Holiday Toast.jpg

• I like it 4

Was going to limit myself to one WSR pour tonight, but LOML fell asleep on the couch and left me unsupervised.  OF 100 bottle gestured from across the room.  "You had me at bourbon," I whispered, as I slowly turned the delicate metal screw cap in a counterclockwise direction.  I feel so dirty.

• I like it 5

MM again. Tonight, it’s  for a different reason. It was season ticket holder appreciation day today at Wrigley Field. I wasn’t able to go into the MM Barrel Room when we went to the Cubs game 8 days ago. We were able to today. 😁

IMG_2640.thumb.jpeg.a81c00e2276257db2a21812ab86fb05e.jpegDSC_0033.thumb.jpeg.2aede51390b17777ab302e2fecdd4eb2.jpegDSC_0038.thumb.jpeg.9892282aad0e88437a733a05b1ff620a.jpegDSC_0040.thumb.jpeg.c46962e79f6c9b9254368d3633bb4cca.jpegDSC_0043.thumb.jpeg.0cae0b611a685612a9f0dc3c618dce78.jpegDSC_0041.thumb.jpeg.8a1412ace1614170e26b0fedb38b8187.jpegDSC_0059.thumb.jpeg.62c4f420a814538b0def743b06763555.jpegIMG_2605.thumb.jpeg.f32f57c210bf31bebe3ee826fa7b70e5.jpeg

DSC_0035.jpeg

• I like it 11